Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW M3
Thinking of upgrading turbos to slightly larger ones.

Hello my fellow members,

Should be getting the M3 in about one month. I've owned A few fun cars from Lamborghini, Ferrari to a G37 twin turbo. I've had a lot of cars but never a BMW. Let me also add that I'm not mechanically inclined

A very good local shop in the area is asking me if I would like to upgrade my turbos from the stock Mitsubishi turbos to larger Garrett's that use the same housing. He's estimating that I should get about 560 whp with this upgrade on 93 octane, and 590 with e gas. He's not going to charge me for installation, only for parts.

Can someone help me with my decision. I've done some research, the transmission is the same as the M5, the differential and even the rear axle is the same. The cooling system of the m3 should be able to handle the extra power. If anyone that knows BMW's really good can give me a hand I would appreciate it. I want to have a reliable car, and if you guys feel that the engine won't be able to handle the power, then I rather not upgrade it.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Retired Official Welcomer

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2002 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flstate View Post
Hello my fellow members,

Should be getting the M3 in about one month. I've owned A few fun cars from Lamborghini, Ferrari to a G37 twin turbo. I've had a lot of cars but never a BMW. Let me also add that I'm not mechanically inclined

A very good local shop in the area is asking me if I would like to upgrade my turbos from the stock Mitsubishi turbos to larger Garrett's that use the same housing. He's estimating that I should get about 560 whp with this upgrade on 93 octane, and 590 with e gas. He's not going to charge me for installation, only for parts.

Can someone help me with my decision. I've done some research, the transmission is the same as the M5, the differential and even the rear axle is the same. The cooling system of the m3 should be able to handle the extra power. If anyone that knows BMW's really good can give me a hand I would appreciate it. I want to have a reliable car, and if you guys feel that the engine won't be able to handle the power, then I rather not upgrade it.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Hmmmm.......
ED pick-up 9/17/2014 2015 Yas Marina Blue M4~Black full Merino leather~Executive Package~Drivers Assistance Plus~Lighting Package~Adaptive M Suspension~19" Black Light-Alloy Style 437 wheels~Carbon Fiber trim~HK audio systems~6MT

Greta is for SALE. 2002 M5
Old 08-13-2014, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Wont matter... Same problem M5 has, you could put a supra sized single turbo on and the DME is so locked down that it won't account or give you the ability to take advantage of the additional power.

So you could get custom turbos built for it asap, but until someone gets into the tricore units won't matter much.

Best right now will probably be e85 JB4 making in the 500s + downpipes exhaust and intake closing in on 6s
Old 08-13-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Wont matter... Same problem M5 has, you could put a supra sized single turbo on and the DME is so locked down that it won't account or give you the ability to take advantage of the additional power.

So you could get custom turbos built for it asap, but until someone gets into the tricore units won't matter much.

Best right now will probably be e85 JB4 making in the 500s + downpipes exhaust and intake closing in on 6s

What's dme? Seems pointless to spend 5k on it then, if I can't put power down.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
What's dme? Seems pointless to spend 5k on it then, if I can't put power down.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ectronics.html

These things used to be crackable on last gen but BMW has since gone with self resetting 128+bit military grad encryption that nobodies seemed to be able to crack [although people claim too, its not been proven fully reliable yet]

turbos might actually hurt performance because the dme/ecu might not like the changes its being given..

Bottom line you've got a long wait on that
Old 08-13-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ectronics.html

These things used to be crackable on last gen but BMW has since gone with self resetting 128+bit military grad encryption that nobodies seemed to be able to crack [although people claim too, its not been proven fully reliable yet]

turbos might actually hurt performance because the dme/ecu might not like the changes its being given..

Bottom line you've got a long wait on that
Okay, got it! No upgrade then. Do you have the new m3/m4? If so are you doing suspension?

Old 08-14-2014, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Okay, got it! No upgrade then. Do you have the new m3/m4? If so are you doing suspension?

m4, 4k miles, jb4 tester, I'll do suspension if and when they have adjustable coil-overs since i have the adaptive m suspension option.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 Coupe
Do you like having a warranty on your new car or not?
Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 PM

That's a good point lol I love warranty.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:39 PM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Mein Auto: YMB F82 M4 and RR Sport
I have a buddy who will be installing bigger turbos on a new F82. There are some surprises coming.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 08-18-2014 at 05:41 PM.