Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-10-2014, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci
4x4, yellow brake, and airbag light all on

Note: I've searched and seen the 'terrible triad' of lights, but this appears to involve the ABS light which I do not have on.

I have a 2008 X3 M-sport with 75k miles.

The other day I left the key in the number 2 ignition spot overnight which killed the battery. I jumped started the car and it started up fine, but now whenever I start the car, I immediately get the red airbag light, yellow brake light, and the 4x4 light on the dash. These appear almost immediately while the car is still in park and idling. They are on all the time while driving and are not intermittent. Also, it appears that the DTC and hill descent control buttons don't work because nothing happens when I press/hold them.

Car seems to drive just fine, but I've noticed that there appears to be more power coming from the front wheels than the rear. Almost as if the car is in 4wd. Although it's subtle enough that this could just be in my head.

From other searched, I've confirmed that there is no clicking sound underneath indicating a bad actuator. The hidden OBC menu confirms the battery looks good (i did a full trickle charge after I jumped it). I did a full lock-to-lock steering wheel turn and that didn't do anything.

Before I take it in, is there anything else I can check to get rid of the lights? My battery is 6 years old and I'm tempted to replace it, but not sure if that would fix the immediate issue.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 195; 08-10-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
battery etc

you've done good intro troubleshooting but 6 years on a battery is time to swap if only for insurance purposes of not getting stuck someplace you don't wanna be....also ....the lack of the killer clicking sound is good news

also .....get access to a low cost/friends multimeter and see for sure what's going on at the terminals ......gotta be ~12.5 volts static and 14 ish volts charging from alternator with engine idling

you might try the ignition on 1st position but no engine running with foot pressed down all the way on accelerator pedal for a minute ....this often resets gremlins ......or the disconnect the battery for ten mins at both terminals trick

also ......do you have the obd2 code reader reset gizmo .......loads of folks do .....so .....beg/boorow etc one......do a quick reset and see if all goes well ......hopefully it's a simple battery issue
Old 08-10-2014, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci
Thanks for the quick reply.

I haven't heard of the gas pedal reset before. Tried it but nothing changed.

I did try resetting the lights by disconnecting the negative terminal for a night which didn't work. I'll try disconnecting both posts and see if that makes a difference.

I don't have an odb2 reader. Any tips on where I could buy/borrow one?
Old 08-10-2014, 01:32 PM

obd2

there are some very low cost ones on ebay .....or search this site to see recommendations ......joylove is top notch name to search on

also .....you can go to a local auto supply store ...we have car quest/auto zone....o'reilly etc but I don't know about Ca ......these guys will always read and reset codes for the locals here in the swamp
Old 08-10-2014, 01:35 PM

good joy love obd2 info

I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...errerid=343410
Old 08-10-2014, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I got stuck in a field a couple weeks ago. I have had the same lights come on. They do not show up on my scanner and is only intermittent like twice in 3 weeks. Since it was caked with mud around the transfer case I am thinking that it may be a short in the wiring. A couple years ago I had to replace the actuater. I drove it for a couple days without one in it and got the same lights. I just haven't had time to get it checked by my Indy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-17.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	457771  
Old 08-18-2014, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3
I'm also having the same problem with my 2008 BMW X3. 4x4 light, yellow brake light, airbag light, and seat belt lights all came on and I can't shot it off. 195 and 3gunshooter, how did you fix the problem in your X3? Please anyone with ideas, please help on how I can get rid of these lights. I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Old 08-18-2014, 05:39 PM

I haven't yet. Mine came on Sunday, when i shut the car off and turn it back on it does not come back. Do you hear any clicking when you turn it off? Still have not got time to look into it yet. Try disconnecting your battery.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
1. Get codes read and reset
2. Disconnect battery as described above
3. Get battery tested at autozone/etc
4. consider getting a new battery - at 6 years old, it could easily just be that
Old 08-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Marginal at best!

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 M-sport
actuator gear

I had no clicking on mine changed the gear & its been ok for a year now.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:21 PM

Mine came on and stays on today. Going to try and get it looked at next week if I can. No codes and I replaced the battery 2 months ago.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:05 PM

This is what I got today. It gets looked at by the dealer next Friday. Anyone have this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-18.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	462301