Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-16-2014, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: '04 X5 3.0
Advice on buying used X3

Hi all,

I currently drive a 2004 E53 3.0l (sport package) that was purchased new. It has been a great car for us. We are considering selling it to a family member and upgrading/downsizing to a newer X3. I know the current X3 is not much smaller than the 04 X5 and that is fine. We infrequently pull a small trailer and the 3.0l was fine for our needs.

Since we keep our cars a long time, we usually buy new. However, in the interim, we have decided to buy gently used. I am looking for advice regarding any model year differences or features that I should consider. This will likely be the last DD car I purchase. Thanks!

Advertisement
Old 08-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinvinman View Post
Hi all,

I currently drive a 2004 E53 3.0l (sport package) that was purchased new. It has been a great car for us. We are considering selling it to a family member and upgrading/downsizing to a newer X3. I know the current X3 is not much smaller than the 04 X5 and that is fine. We infrequently pull a small trailer and the 3.0l was fine for our needs.

Since we keep our cars a long time, we usually buy new. However, in the interim, we have decided to buy gently used. I am looking for advice regarding any model year differences or features that I should consider. This will likely be the last DD car I purchase. Thanks!

The car experts all agree that from an investment perspective, cars lose the largest percentage of their value in the first 3 years and 30K miles.

Purchasing an X3 coming off a lease could therefore make sense for you.

That said, there's a mid-model refresh that was done for the 2015 model- LCI. Turn signals were moved to side mirrors, new LED lighting, navigation update and finger touch nav ball, front and back looks a bit different. New 2014s are available for large discounts and there are some lightly used ones out there now.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:40 AM

Thanks much.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
If you find a used X3 that you like, I would suggest getting a Carfax, getting the build history and any service records you can. BMW likely will not furnish and history on the vehicle even if you know the owner. So it can be important to make that connection. I would generally suggest a CPO car, but good ones can be found from other sources and you can always buy a warranty if it is past the time or miles of the original. Good luck..

2007 C260 4Matic - sold
2006 350Z Roadster - sold
To many others to bother with...
Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: Alpine White X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouda View Post
If you find a used X3 that you like, I would suggest getting a Carfax, getting the build history and any service records you can. BMW likely will not furnish and history on the vehicle even if you know the owner. So it can be important to make that connection. I would generally suggest a CPO car, but good ones can be found from other sources and you can always buy a warranty if it is past the time or miles of the original. Good luck..
My Buddy got his i35 CPO and they gave him the total history at the dealer. Probably depends on the relationship you have with your dealer.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDog View Post
My Buddy got his i35 CPO and they gave him the total history at the dealer. Probably depends on the relationship you have with your dealer.
+1

Very surprised that a BMW dealer wouldn't provide a CarFax report automatically. I wouldn't do business with any dealer who wouldn't do this.

If one goes to www.autotrader.com and look up used cars CarFax reports are available for the lion's share of all the cars. You don't have to leave your home computer to do this and most car dealers advertise their used cars here- certified and non-certified.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:03 AM

I did not say they would not supply the Carfax. They did. However in our case it did not contain any service records from original delivery until it was put on the used market two years later. I assumed there had to have been some service done, even if it had been normal maintenance only. BMW would not supply that info. But we took a chance on the vehicle anyway and have been very pleased. It was not a BMW dealer.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2007 C260 4Matic - sold
Old 08-18-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
That said, there's a mid-model refresh that was done for the 2015 model- LCI. Turn signals were moved to side mirrors, new LED lighting, navigation update and finger touch nav ball, front and back looks a bit different. New 2014s are available for large discounts and there are some lightly used ones out there now.
What kind of discount should I expect? I hear new 2015s are going for 1200 over invoice, so what would a new 2014 price be vis--vis invoice?
Old 08-18-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinvinman View Post
What kind of discount should I expect? I hear new 2015s are going for 1200 over invoice, so what would a new 2014 price be vis--vis invoice?
First there's a $2500 rebate available. Second, I would imagine $1000-$2000 under invoice on top of this. So, $3500-$4500 under invoice I believe is doable for a 2014. Not only is the new 2014 X3 a year old, but the 2015 is an LCI- refresh year. Plenty of leverage for the buyer. I would imagine the '14s are disappearing and if you're at all picky with colors and options I'd highly recommend you begin your search.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
First there's a $2500 rebate available. Second, I would imagine $1000-$2000 under invoice on top of this. So, $3500-$4500 under invoice I believe is doable for a 2014. Not only is the new 2014 X3 a year old, but the 2015 is an LCI- refresh year. Plenty of leverage for the buyer. I would imagine the '14s are disappearing and if you're at all picky with colors and options I'd highly recommend you begin your search.
Thanks much!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I did not say they would not supply the Carfax. They did. However in our case it did not contain any service records from original delivery until it was put on the used market two years later. I assumed there had to have been some service done, even if it had been normal maintenance only. BMW would not supply that info. But we took a chance on the vehicle anyway and have been very pleased. It was not a BMW dealer.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Gouda:

You're in Wisconsin? How do the Michelin MXM4 tires do in the snow on your X3?

Back to the post: You said "BMW would not supply that info" regarding service. This is why a couple of us thought it's your BMW dealer saying, "No, we won't do that for you". It sounds like it's not that they won't, they actually can't. There's no CarFax service records available if someone does their own oil changes or goes to a local garage. It would be better if the ex-owner kept service records and gave them to your local BMW dealer. I've always kept a folder of service records- long before CarFax existed.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:01 AM

I did say BMW would not supply records. After reviewing the Carfax I contacted the original selling BMW dealer and BMW North America. Both stated they would not supply any information or records citing privacy laws. They did not confirm either way if they actually had any records.
Regarding the tires, we had the worst winter last year for both temp and snowfall that we have had in years. See pic. The Michelins performed very well, not once did we have a issue on snow or ice. When it was really bad, I have to admit we took the Wrangler out. By that I mean a foot or more of unplowed snow. We live in the middle of nowhere so that happened often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	459360  

2007 C260 4Matic - sold
Old 08-19-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I did say BMW would not supply records. After reviewing the Carfax I contacted the original selling BMW dealer and BMW North America. Both stated they would not supply any information or records citing privacy laws. They did not confirm either way if they actually had any records.
Regarding the tires, we had the worst winter last year for both temp and snowfall that we have had in years. See pic. The Michelins performed very well, not once did we have a issue on snow or ice. When it was really bad, I have to admit we took the Wrangler out. By that I mean a foot or more of unplowed snow. We live in the middle of nowhere so that happened often.

Gouda:

Thanks for your feedback on the tires. Probably will be putting them on my X3 28i XDrive. Costco has them for $1180 installed for the 4- $70 September coupon available which will almost cover the NJ sales tax. We're a ski family and wasn't happy with the oem Goodyear LS2's on snow the last 2 seasons.

Last edited by Bmwlvr60; 08-19-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:31 AM

We bought them from Discount Tire. As I recall they were about the same price as you mentioned. But be careful that they are quoting the same speed rating tire. V not H, I had to verify what they quoted. I had the same opinion of the Goodyears.

2007 C260 4Matic - sold