Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-17-2014, 11:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X-3
2005 X3 2.5 4X4 light

My 4X4 light is illuminated in my cluster and I have the DSC system--does this mean I have an issue with the DSC, or is it indicating it is off? I depressed the DSC button and it won't eliminate the light. I was told that I may off depressed the button when I was detailing the dash area. I didn't have any issue with the light until I subsequently cleaned the interior. On top of it I now have a SES light. Please help, thanks.
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2014, 04:52 AM
TA

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 525i
Get the MIL codes read and see what you get. Could be the gear in the transfer case actuator or a wheel speed sensor or a number of other things.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
If you spent a good amount of time detailing with doors opening and closing, and radio on, the battery could have run down a bit. Then on starting up, DSC processor gets confused.

Usually goes away after the next restart, provided battery is healthy. If not, BMW-specific scanner required to see what codes triggered.

SES light being on must be a separate issue that surfaced now as a coincidence. Vacuum leak most likely. Standard code reader needed for that.
Or was the engine shampooed as part of the detailing?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Really you can't guess what the lights mean. If you want to check the lights yourself buy the code reader in post 2 here. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...errerid=343410

As above if the battery went flat it will have dumped all the calibration for the wheel speed sensors and should relearn them by the end of the road; restarting the car should extinguish a light lit for that specific reason.

Last edited by joylove; 08-18-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Try turning he steering wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right, full lockout positions. That may reset it...
Old 08-19-2014, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X-3
Thanks for all your responses. I took my X3 into my mechanic, hooked it up and he said nothing was wrong. He seems to think when I washed it, I wet the engine with the jet spray onto the lenses, which I cleaned too and got water on the cylinders. After I washed the vehicle, the EML light came on, then about three hours later it turned off due to the vehicle being dry. I had the oil changed too, because the previous owned informed me he used conventional oil. So, all systems go, thanks again.