Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 M3 Coupe; '06 ML350
Compact spare for F8X M3/4

Okay, I'm revisiting this subject since I did it originally for the E9X.

Stock tire diameters are 26.0"F & 26.6"R. Ideal spare would be in this range. Two options are T145/70R-18 (26.0") & T155/70R-18 (26.5"). The 145 is 0.4" narrower, thus taking up less room in the trunk. Maxxis has the best size selection and most reasonable prices: http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-4...-compact-spare. The 145 & 155 are both $149 though their site, but you may find a local dealer (dealer locator on the website). The X5 steel wheel worked fine on my E92, and does as well here. The center bore is different so you need a reducing ring.

Here's what is needed:
- BMW 36 11 6 768 861 - 18" black steel wheel (X5 fitment) - $68.06 through Newegg (from bmwpartssource.com) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1060PF3747[/URL]
- BMW 36 12 1 116 326 black rubber valve stem - $2.52 through Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1060PF5057[/URL]
- Centering (hubcentric) plastic ring 74 - 72.56mm - Various plastic ones available through Amazon.com for as little as $6.00/set 4. You glue this in; can sell spares to other forum members.
- T145/70R-18 or 155/70R-18 tire. $!49 through Maxxis http://shop.maxxis.com/c/compact-spare-tires?action_type=switch_product&selected_cat_keys=12015.1071150.0.0.0&selected_product=c22987ac33907e8ed6b255296b5ec29e&redirected_post=1[/URL], or through you local dealer.

You will also need to carry a jack and lug wrench. You can source a small scissor jack from many sources, including BMW, and carry it under the wheel or in you underfloor well. Note that BMW also has a light alloy spare wheel - #36 11 678 8 203 that is around $175, and the width is only 3.5" vs. 4" for steel. I also carry a plug kit from Griot's Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks), and only take the spare on longer trips: .

So here is what it looks like with the Maxxis 145/70 tire, which is the same diameter (26.0") as the OEM front. Wheel fits fine with steel brakes. Stock lug bolts work fine, as well. Weight is 37.6 lb. Total cost, including shipping:

Wheel & valve stem - $84.08
Hubcentric rings (4) - $11.58
Tire - $164.00
Mounting - free w/ tire purchase though local dealer

Safe travels!

2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/CF/Sakhir
2012 M-B ML350 - Arctic/Black/Satin Ash

Last edited by GregW in Oregon; 09-04-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Thanks Greg!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Mein Auto: YMB F82 M4 and RR Sport
Good post!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Wow, this is great and it seems like you could drive around for a long time on this thing - will it work on the rears too do you think?

great post!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 M4 Convertible
Thanks for posting! I explored this type of option but with the minimal space in the vert I found this solution to be a very viable alternative to carrying around bulky spare (have used similar plugs/compressors before on a motorcycle trip and worked like a charm):

Dynaplug Mini Pro 12 volt Inflator Tire Pump
with
Dynaplug® Tubeless Tire Repair Tool Kit - NEW PRO Aluminum - Made in USA

Look up both on the net - very reasonably priced alternative to get you where you can get a proper repair or whatever. The plugging tool is by far the simplest out there to use and is truly effective. That said you are supposed to get any plugged tire properly patched but some folk have driven tires threadbare with just these in them! Plan on taking my kit with me on my ED trip and actually have a kit in both our current cars (RFT tires) and on my GS1200 bike!

Last edited by ciaranob; 08-19-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Wow, this is great and it seems like you could drive around for a long time on this thing - will it work on the rears too do you think?

great post!
Yes, it will work on the rear.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:42 PM

Tire plug kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Thanks for posting! I explored this type of option but with the minimal space in the vert I found this solution to be a very viable alternative to carrying around bulky spare (have used similar plugs/compressors before on a motorcycle trip and worked like a charm):

with

Look up both on the net - very reasonably priced alternative to get you where you can get a proper repair or whatever. The plugging tool is by far the simplest out there to use and is truly effective. That said you are supposed to get any plugged tire properly patched but some folk have driven tires threadbare with just these in them! Plan on taking my kit with me on my ED trip and actually have a kit in both our current cars (RFT tires) and on my GS1200 bike!
The M3/4 already come with a compressor in the form of the MMoblity kit (you don't have to use the goop).

Old 08-19-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW in Oregon View Post
The M3/4 already come with a compressor in the form of the MMoblity kit (you don't have to use the goop).
Oh really - very good! I thought the BMW mobility kit was one of the type where the goo was built in and that was the only option i.e. air+goo. Hate the stuff, so bonus if you can just use the compressor separately
Old 08-19-2014, 04:47 PM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Quote:
Oh really - very good! I thought the BMW mobility kit was one of the type where the goo was built in and that was the only option i.e. air+goo. Hate the stuff, so bonus if you can just use the compressor separately

I love my mobility kit. I carry two!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-19-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB-bimmer View Post
Great info OP. Looks good and i see you have SS color.
How you like that color compare to old SS. I think new one is named SS II.
I really don't know how it compares to the old Silverstone. Would be good to see side-by-side.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I love my mobility kit. I carry two!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Should check out the Dynaplug tool - there are other options but none as ridiculously easy to use and very effective - there are videos on youTube including of course from the manufacturers etc. Bit of extra peace of mind for me.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 PM
M3AT LOVER

Mein Auto: F80 M3
I really need to get my ass off the sofa and get this thing ordered and built.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Genius!! ordered from amazon.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:57 PM
M3AT LOVER

Mein Auto: F80 M3
I just ordered the cheaper version, Dynaplug Ultralite Tubeless Tire Repair Tool Kit

Old 08-19-2014, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:

with

Excellent, this Dynaplug will work way better than goop, thanks ciaranob!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:19 PM
WHO DAT NATION

Mein Auto: 2015 M3
Greg is so helpful...
Old 09-04-2014, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: F80 ///M3
I am also enjoying Greg's posts and plan on using this solution for long trips. I also wanted to offer another option in the form of the Safety Seal kit that I carried in the back of my E36 M3 for many years. This is the same professional level kit with "real" tools that my tire shop uses. This is a permanent fix (with deference to the litigation groups that have declared plugs unacceptable). I have ran these on many tires throughout the years with no leaks. There is a short learning curve and a bit of consternation when using the rasp to make the hole bigger to properly fit the plug.

Of course, I have been told that the speed rating on a plugged tire is no longer valid, so keep that in mind.

Regardless, the Safety Seal kit along with the M Mobility pump will get you going to your destination so long as you have a nail or screw type puncture that is not less than 1/2 inch from the sidewall.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:59 AM

On wheel flat repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by celler View Post
I have ran these on many tires throughout the years with no leaks. There is a short learning curve and a bit of consternation when using the rasp to make the hole bigger to properly fit the plug.

Of course, I have been told that the speed rating on a plugged tire is no longer valid, so keep that in mind.

Regardless, the Safety Seal kit along with the M Mobility pump will get you going to your destination so long as you have a nail or screw type puncture that is not less than 1/2 inch from the sidewall.
The Safety Seal kit is similar to the Griot's Garage kit I mentioned in my first post, as well as the Dynaplug. They all have their points. Carrying any of them is better than nothing, though I've never used mine in over a dozen years of carrying it. Long term I would not trust the plug alone without a patch at the speeds I sometimes drive.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:44 AM

The plug material for the Griot's kit does look similar to to the Safety Seal plug. However, the Dynaplug material seems to be inferior by comparison. I would also not feel comfortable at high speeds with just the plug, but it is somewhat comforting to know that Safety Seal had an independent lab run a tire with two of their plugs in it at 140 mph for two hours without a failure. Ah, the compromises involved in not having a spare tire.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:27 AM

All this talk of spare tires has me thinking. I certainly don't want to use the tire repair goop, if the hole is oddly shaped/ too big to plug, what does BMW Assist do when you call them? Send a tow truck to take it to the dealer for a flat tire? Methinks I need to at least have a this spare Greg has cooked up in the garage so that the wife could bring it to me if I get in a bind and toss it in the trunk (need to find the track tire bags) on longer trips. Greg, any part numbers for the BMW jack and lug wrench.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Quote:
All this talk of spare tires has me thinking. I certainly don't want to use the tire repair goop, if the hole is oddly shaped/ too big to plug, what does BMW Assist do when you call them? Send a tow truck to take it to the dealer for a flat tire? Methinks I need to at least have a this spare Greg has cooked up in the garage so that the wife could bring it to me if I get in a bind and toss it in the trunk (need to find the track tire bags) on longer trips. Greg, any part numbers for the BMW jack and lug wrench.
I don't want to carry the spare for the weight. I'll stick with the compressor and the goo. I suppose if I were doing a cross country trip I'd opt for the spare, but for metropolitan driving I'll rely on BMW Assist if I have a complete blowout. I've never had a blowout in my life, and only my '03 M3 suffered from incessant nail-in-the-tire causing flats; I used the goo twice with my '03. I still have the compressor/goo kits from my '08 M3, '09 M3 and my '11.5 M3. My M4 came with yet another compressor/goo kit. I'm good for quite some time.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 09-04-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:35 PM

I wonder what the long term effect of the goo is on the wheel separate and apart from being a big mess. I assume with my tire pressure display that there is a tire pressure monitoring transponder in there some where with a hole to measure air pressure. The goo can't be good for that little jewel.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Quote:
I wonder what the long term effect of the goo is on the wheel separate and apart from being a big mess. I assume with my tire pressure display that there is a tire pressure monitoring transponder in there some where with a hole to measure air pressure. The goo can't be good for that little jewel.
If left on there for long periods of time, it could ruin the wheel (..in terms of finish). When they change your tire after implementation of the goo, they clean it off of the wheel.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
The plug material for the Griot's kit does look similar to to the Safety Seal plug. However, the Dynaplug material seems to be inferior by comparison. I would also not feel comfortable at high speeds with just the plug, but it is somewhat comforting to know that Safety Seal had an independent lab run a tire with two of their plugs in it at 140 mph for two hours without a failure. Ah, the compromises involved in not having a spare tire.
Sorry the comment about the integrity of the Dynaplug kit is simply nonsense and not based on any factual report, just bias. The dynaplug kit is also tested and verified - grabbed one example (there are many more but too lazy to to copy/paste - just google it):

UTAC Certified - UTAC in Linas-Montlhery , France , tested the performance of a Dynaplug® repair plug inserted in a punctured tire of a car. A test tire was pierced by a 3 ˝” 16D (penny) nail. The nail was extracted, and the puncture was repaired with a Dynaplug® repair plug. Conformity to technical specifications was received after performance testing in the Dynaplug® repaired tire at speeds up to 150km/h~over 90 mph! UTAC is a leading laboratory officially designated by the French Authorities for all vehicle and equipment tests under European Union directives, and authorized to conduct all tests specified by the regulations of the United Nations Economic Council of Europe.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Sorry the comment about the integrity of the Dynaplug kit is simply nonsense and not based on any factual report, just bias.
Maybe but safety seal looks like chocolate bars!