Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: X3
2006 X3 wont start electronics work

Hi All,

This is my first post.

I recently got my 2006 X3 in January and it spends more time in the shop than I drive it.
I have an easy care stated care warranty.

Example of a few issues all repaired at BMW Service:
Lean Bank Errors- replaced disva valve, intake boot and crankcase vent valve and jet pump
Ignition Coil replaced
Fuel tank vent valve replaced
replaced valve cover gasket leaking oil
etc.....

About two weeks ago, I got it out of service. The issue was it would crank up but turn off. It was a bad disa valve part. It was covered under the parts warranty. Two days later it would crank at all but started w/ a jump. This continued and eventually wouldn't start but lights work, panel lights up in SUV and horn works. So I had it towed to BMW service.

They say it's a fuse 43 is blown due to the instrument cluster shorting out and I need a new one. Plus a new ignition switch. The instrument cluster isn't covered under my extended warranty. They said just replacing the fuse, which is covered, woulddn't fix my instrument cluster issue.

Does this sound like I need a new instrument cluster? Could any other the other repaired issue have caused these new issue? I've had other issues but never starting my vehicle until they installed a bad part.

Please help. I need to call and tell BMW service what to do.

Also if you know a good resonably priced mechanic in Houston, please post their info. Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Sounds like you have more than your fair share of issues.

Fuse F43 connects to two things on a post 09/2005 car, the instrument cluster and the diagnostics socket. If the fuse keeps blowing without the diagnostics machine connected then yes it's the cluster. If you have a battery drain issue there are Z4 E83 (it's basically the same car although the fuse map is different) threads about this that point to the radio.

A new ignition switch may explain your starting issues, if it is covered then have them replace it.

This guy had a similar issue but there is no resolution
Old 07-08-2014, 09:42 AM

Thanks @joylove,

My SUV is still in service. I swear they should pay a note for me.

They've replaced the ignition switch. Based upon your notes, I need to ask if the SUV was hooked up to the diagnostic machine when the F43 fuse blew. Sounds like I need to have another face to face meeting w/ the service department again. If replacing the fuse doesn't start the SUV, I'm having it tow'd to another shop b/c I do not believe the current service department can find the real issue. It seems like a guessing game with them.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:48 PM

Update, ignition switch was replaced. SUV starts fine and turns out I did not need a new instrument panel.
Once the switch the replaced, the fuse stopped blowing. Yea!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
thanks for the feedback