Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-21-2014, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X3
2009 X3 Triad of lights and other issues...

Hi all - I have been reading as much as I can about this issue but my current situation seems a little unique.

Purchased the car last October with around 54k miles on it, bought it used from a Ford dealer with a limited 2k warranty on it. Right after the warranty period expires a periodic issue develops. When you would press on the accelerator it felt like the drive system would shimmy/drag before evening out. Took it to the local import shop and they decide to put a steering angle sensor in it and the issue is mostly resolved. (I do not remember the light combo that was present at this time)

A bit later a very similar issue develops where when driving over a bump the shimmy occurs and you have to let off the accelerator to stop it. This is only periodic and there are no lights on.

Fast forward to just about two weeks ago ABS, Brake and DSC lights all come on and I try to drive the car and can tell something is not right. There seems to be a significant hesitation when driving and the car does not sound good. Park the car overnight. The next morning I get in to drive it to the shop and it drives like nothing is wrong but the lights are still on. Drive it all day with no issues and take it to the shop that afternoon to see what causing the issue - by this time all the lights have gone out and the car is driving fine. They pull the codes and do not have a clear diagnosis, check the transfer case fluid that has a small amount of metal present but not a lot, fluid is a good color. They tell me they are not sure what the issue is but I might need a new transfer case ($3000 all in) and I need a new drivers side seat belt and passenger side airbag sensor. They also tell me that they are going to call in the issue with their tech support people and see if they can figure anything else out - but all the lights come back on. They let me take the car home. I call the next day and the tech support people think that i probably will need a new transfer case... :-/

Since the car is driving ok I keep driving over the next couple of weeks (the lights are still on). Drives as good as it ever has with no issues - then randomly the tire pressure indicator comes on. Check all the tires and everything seems ok and reset the warning and it stays off for about 300 miles, yesterday morning start driving the car the tire pressure warning comes back on (with the triad still on) and car is driving very poorly again - similar to what it did just before I took it into the shop. Well after work the drives fine again.

Just to cover a few more details : I have not heard the ticking sound that indicates a bad actuator gear, this problem is intermittent, this car has right at 60k on it, tires match and have good tread.

Now for my wishful thinking: Could a wheel speed sensor cause some of these problems? The whole tire pressure issue gave me that idea because I read that that is actually judged not by a pressure sensor but by wheel speed. Since the computer uses measurements from the wheel speed sensors and steering angle sensor to send torque to the tires I thought that if one of these sensors were bad it could cause some issues, what do you all think? Or could it be the acuator gear is completely worn and not clicking anymore?

Thanks! Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by klappmeister; 08-21-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Your 2009 does not use the wheel speed sensors for tire pressure monitoring - it has direct TPMS sensors in the valve assembly.

Sounds more like electrical gremlins are causing your problems. Metal traces in the transfer case fluid at 60K is not surprising if fluid had never been changed.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
Your 2009 does not use the wheel speed sensors for tire pressure monitoring - it has direct TPMS sensors in the valve assembly.

Sounds more like electrical gremlins are causing your problems. Metal traces in the transfer case fluid at 60K is not surprising if fluid had never been changed.
Thanks!