Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > The MINI Board

The MINI Board
The Mini Cooper Forum

Old 08-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 330xi
2007 Mini Cooper... expected problems?

Hello Everyone! I'm normally over on the e46 forum, but I have a question on behalf of a friend... She has a 2007 Mini Cooper at just over 80K miles and we're just curious if they suffer some of the same engine fail points (cooling system, etc.) as other 21st century BMW's.

I notice you guys don't have a wiki over here, or I would have looked there first.

Just trying to help out a friend and see what needs looking at first.
Expansion Tank Replacement, DISA Valve upgrade, Headlight Washer Nozzles, Front Control Arms/Bushings/Ball Joints, Sway Bar End Links, Coolant System overhaul, Final Stage Resistor replacement, Valve Cover Gasket, Vanos Seals.

Upcoming Projects:
New Shocks/Springs
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2014, 03:39 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Well, the specific answer to your question will vary according to what model (hardtop or convertible; turbo or non-turbo) your friend's car is. More information is needed to give you an exact answer, but some of these MINI's do have temperamental engines in them...

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 08-07-2014, 03:58 PM

We'll, I know it's a hard top, and I think it's the base model... Though it has fancy wheels . It's not a cooper s or anything like that.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Expansion Tank Replacement, DISA Valve upgrade, Headlight Washer Nozzles, Front Control Arms/Bushings/Ball Joints, Sway Bar End Links, Coolant System overhaul, Final Stage Resistor replacement, Valve Cover Gasket, Vanos Seals.

Upcoming Projects:
New Shocks/Springs
Old 08-08-2014, 07:03 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKenshi View Post
We'll, I know it's a hard top, and I think it's the base model... Though it has fancy wheels . It's not a cooper s or anything like that.
OK, well, that points us in the right direction. With the 2007 model year, the hardtops were the newly-introduced Second Generation, while the convertibles hadn't yet been switched over from the First Generation. So they had different engines -- with different problems.

For the Second-Generation cars, non-turbo models tend to be much less problematic than their turbocharged brethren -- but they are not problem-free...

Generally speaking, one needs to closely monitor the oil level on all Second-Generation MINI's. The turbo versions tend to burn it, but if the level gets too low on the base models, the same problems can develop. The timing chain tensioner is fed by oil, and if the oil level gets low, the tensioner allows slack to occur in the timing chain. This leads to wear on the chain guides (which are only plastic), and eventual slippage or failure of the chain. And that tends to be catastrophic for the engine...

The cooling system (since you mentioned it specifically) is one area where minor problems can develop: the reservoirs tend to crack and leak coolant; these are easily replaced. Trying to remember if this holds for the base model cars, but another area that can be a problem is a coolant hose that can come loose from the bracket holding it up; this is located at the front of the car (just under the radiator), and if it's hanging down, it will scrape on the ground until it wears through and leaks coolant. I don't recall this being a particularly hard fix either, but it should be very obvious if the car had this problem. The water pumps are also generally known to be failure-prone on MINI's. As a general note: be sure to use the correct MINI (with turns out to be the same as BMW) coolant when replacing any lost fluid.

That's what leaps to mind at the moment. If you've got a specific problem area, post it up here or in the Second Generation area of the North American Motoring site; that has a far more active MINI forum.

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 08-08-2014, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: '07 R56; '07 E61; '64 356
I have an '07 MCS with 101,000 miles, and have actually had few problems, even though it was a very early production car.

I agree, the tensioner is an issue, BUT you should know that MINI USA is taking care of them. Maintaining the proper oil level is a huge factor in preventing this, but I would have it checked. There is a service bulletin for it, and my replacement was paid (some $1300). It's not a recall, but MINI USA is handling it as a recall, with reimbursement at the dealer level. There is a distinctive sound the chain makes if it's in trouble, so disassembly isn't needed to diagnose. (Before the big CLUNK, that is.)

A number of people have had problem with the direct fuel injection that the turbo model uses, but I've always run good quality gas, and have not experienced this. Also, the turbo model is subject to problems with the high pressure fuel pump; I've not experienced this, either, but the warranty for this part has been extended to 10 years/120,000 miles. Neither applies to the nonturbo Cooper. BTW, people commonly call the nonturbo "base" model a Justa.

I've had some sunroof problems, and the local independent garage hasn't been able to totally eliminate the rattles since the motor was replaced last year. The work was done before we got a dealer, but now that I have a new one on order, I'll just live with them.

I had a leaking water pump early on, while still under warranty. More recently, I had a leaking thermostat. That was a DIY project, and we had plenty of warning. No other cooling issues.

There were a few other minor problems, mostly during the warranty period, but nothing unusual, expensive, or especially irritating. Spouse has done most of the maintence since the warranty expired.

You'll get more information on NAM (northamericanmotoring.com), which is where most of the MINIacs hang out. They separate out the 3 generations (you have gen 2), including maintenance issues.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:51 PM

Thanks so much! I'll point my friend in this direction!

Upcoming Projects:
New Shocks/Springs
Old 08-20-2014, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: COOPER S
i've had a 07 S model for a while now, and everything said is pretty much spot on. i just put 3k mi on it in 3 weekends, and only had to add oil.

the sunroof rattle drove me crazy, but i did a little adjusting and got it fixed myself. the tracks ride on each other and make a horrible noise in the closed position if they aren't adjusted juuuust right.

the thermostat failed on me, but it would stick open so the engine was just stuck in a warm-up loop. again, fixed myself and no subsequent issues.

the N14 engine PCV design was originally flawed, there is an updated part number available (should be the only one) that fixes it. the PCV cover is bonded to the plastic valve cover (its the bulge up top towards the passenger compartment), and the adhesive failed on mine leaving tell tale oil mist on the valve cover.

the vacuum pump is also highly dependent on oil, and if you run low can seize and break off the camshaft (it's driven by the exhaust cam). proper oil level is CRITICAL on these engines, and they do like to drink it. I've calculated my consumption to 1 qt every 1-1500 mi depending on driving conditions. obviously, spirited driving over mountain passes blasting past semis will consume more than putzing around town. i've been told i'm actually at the "good" end of the consumption spectrum by several shops.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbird View Post
the sunroof rattle drove me crazy, but i did a little adjusting and got it fixed myself. the tracks ride on each other and make a horrible noise in the closed position if they aren't adjusted juuuust right.
Did you have to remove it to make those adjustments? I didn't have the rattle until I had to have the motor replaced = sunroof pulled out. The mechanic has redone the mounting three times, and it no longer has excessive wind noise, but it still rattles. There is a "sweet spot" when it's open a tiny bit but doesn't rattle. Since I'm selling the car when my new one comes in, I'd really like to fix it rather than explain that to a potential buyer. Any info you can give me would be appreciated.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: e36 m3, X5, 74 2002
non S is pretty bulletproof, I've got an 09

I had an 08 S but all the issues they have scared me into trading it in
Old 08-21-2014, 10:13 AM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
The only real problem(s) for our 3 MINIs have been sump gaskets; rocker gaskets and t'stat housings. Most expensive problem was the PS pump but only one has had that replaced. 2 x 03 and one '08 vehicles.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 08-21-2014, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: COOPER S
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodildeb View Post
Did you have to remove it to make those adjustments? I didn't have the rattle until I had to have the motor replaced = sunroof pulled out. The mechanic has redone the mounting three times, and it no longer has excessive wind noise, but it still rattles. There is a "sweet spot" when it's open a tiny bit but doesn't rattle. Since I'm selling the car when my new one comes in, I'd really like to fix it rather than explain that to a potential buyer. Any info you can give me would be appreciated.
i'll do my best. keep in mind, i worked at an upholstery/stereo shop and we did quite a few sunroof glass replacements (for a webasto recall program, mostly on priuses) so i have more experience with this than the average joe. there should be 6 screws on the front glass panel, 4 on the back; should be a T25 torx head. these hold the sunroof glass panel (and the metal mounting rail bonded to it) to the actual track, when they sit too low the rails rub the track. on some cars you can probably even see where the rubbing is as it will wear through the black anodizing. mine was coming from the passenger rear corner of the rear panel. when you loosen the Torx screws, the panel will be movable and you can adjust it up/down. the old trick i was taught is to lay a business card on edge across the glass to roof joint and set it so the glass panel is juuuust slightly higher (so that water beads down onto the roof, not collecting in the trough where the seal is). you can also slide the business card into the seal gap to see if there are any tight spots.

once you dig in, it should be pretty self explanatory. its also easier with 2 people, especially on the rear panel. if you roll the windows down, its very easy to do the front solo. wind noise usually comes from too much gap at the front lip. I honestly HATE sunroofs, but finding a car with decent options packages used in california without a sunroof is pretty much impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure View Post
The only real problem(s) for our 3 MINIs have been sump gaskets; rocker gaskets and t'stat housings. Most expensive problem was the PS pump but only one has had that replaced. 2 x 03 and one '08 vehicles.
I did the sump gasket at about 65k mi on mine. I am very glad i did, because at some point when the timing chain was replaced under recall (long before i was the owner) the hack who did the work broke off pieces of the plastic guide and i found them lodged in neat places, like the pump pickup and around the lower crank pulley. I can't believe it went like that for 30k miles without grenading every thing...
Also, the R56 uses an electric servo motor for the steering assist, so thankfully, no hydraulic system to fail there. for all their "issues" these are surprisngly well done cars, just sucks the engine was obviously rushed into production before all the bugs were worked out.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 PM

Thanks, Blunderbird--we'll give it a try! Too bad you're in San Diego--we could use someone looking over our shoulders...wanna come to Arkansas?
Old 08-22-2014, 04:47 AM

keep in mind the S motor is very different with very different problems, afaik the non s does not have the dreaded chain guide issue, or carbon buildup
Old 08-22-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblahh View Post
keep in mind the S motor is very different with very different problems, afaik the non s does not have the dreaded chain guide issue, or carbon buildup

No, but in the beginning they had a LOT of Check Engine lights. That's probably been worked out by now. I haven't driven a Justa in a while...
Old 08-22-2014, 07:28 AM

a lot of what check engine lights, you can get those for quite a few things, can you be specific?
Old 08-22-2014, 07:38 AM

I don't know for sure, because they didn't directly affect me (I have an S), but I think I remember hearing a lot about O2 sensors. I'm sure you'll find plenty of threads on NAM.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 AM

I found nothing when I was researching justa's on NAM
Old 08-22-2014, 03:20 PM

That's surprising. Did you use CEL as a search term in the Gen 2 forum? I'm finding plenty.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:05 PM

yeah nothing specific, what specific problem were you talking about? Check engine can be anything from a missfire to a loose gas cap

lots of common problems with the R56 S though, detailed above