Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535xi
Planning first ED, first trip to Europe

Just got confirmation for my ED date. Woohoo! First time going to anywhere not in North America. Not sure who is more excited - my wife, who is not even a "car person", or me.

Beginning to plan things out, and realizing there is more to do and see than there is time. Probably shooting for 7 or 8 days total in hopes we do it again in a few years.

How's this for an itinerary? Key is I don't want to plan anything that I can't get to by train if the weather sucks. Even with winter tires, not going to drive my new M3 in snow if I can help it.

Sat 11/15 - leave for Germany
Sun 11/16 - arrive in Munich mid-day, hit Hofbräuhaus then SLEEP
Mon 11/17 - ED day, all about the car (museums, factory, etc.), get winter tires put on if the weather looks decent, maybe do some sightseeing in Munich
Tues 11/18 - Go see Neuschwanstein, then head to Garmisch-Partenkirchen (recommended by a friend who lived in Germany)
Wed 11/19 - Relax and sightsee
Thurs 11/20 - Head to Salzburg
Fri 11/21 - Relax and sightsee
Sat 11/22 - Take time back to Munich, see some stuff on the way (Berchtesgaden, Dachau, etc.). Switch out tires, turn in car.
Sun 11/23 - Head home

For those that have done ED, especially late in the year, is this a feasible itinerary? Anything to know about or change?

Comments and feedback are welcomed.

-X-
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2014, 09:25 PM
6' / 250lbs

Mein Auto: '12 X5 + '14 M5 SOON!
It's amazing. Best trip my wife and I took.

Congrats. Make sure to drive the Deutsche Alpenstrasse. Google it.
- Full IND cosmetic package / 12mm Macht Schnell Spacers / SunTek CXP tint - 18% / 5% sunroof / 55% windshield
Old 08-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
7 or 8 days is too short. Jet lag will bug you through day 4 or 5....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Also, where are you staying?

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 08-21-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me530 View Post
Also, where are you staying?

Haven't booked hotels yet. Open to suggestions...

Also, I agree 8 days is too short. We are trying to decide how to fit in a few more days from a work and kids perspective.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X6 50i
The BMW museum is closed on Mondays. Everything else is open, but good to keep that in mind. Perhaps get a lay of the land on Sunday at the Welt and take in the museum?
Old 08-22-2014, 06:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
Although you have only 8 days you have made an excellent choice of things to see in the time available. Although Fussen/Neuschwanstein and Salzburg can be reached by train they are a perfect choice for a car trip. Here are my suggestions - unfortunately some may be closed in November or be open but closed because of the weather:

1) You will have to adjust to the change in time zones. What works best for me is to have a busy day the day I arrive. By that I mean that I drop my bags at the hotel and then sightsee until at least dinner time - your Hofbrau plan will work but don't take too much "brau". Then hit the sack between 8 and 10 Munich time.
2) Take PhilT3's advice and use the Alpenstrasse for your route between Fussen and Salzburg. Here is a map prepared by AlfredG that shows the Alpenstrasse but in your case you would only be driving the section between Points A and K.
https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...4,3.735352&z=8
3) Your friend's suggestion of Garmisch is a good one. To that I would add Wieskirche (a beautiful Baroque church near Steingaden), Oberammergau, Linderhof Palace (if it is open), Mittenwald and Ramsau (my left sig pic). On the way you will pass many other scenic little villages/towns and lakes.
4)There is a lot to see in the Salzburg/Berchtesgaden area. I think the Eagle's Nest will be closed but the Documentation Center in Obersalzberg should be open. It is very interesting if you are WWII buff. Not too far from Salzburg is Hallstatt which is very pretty and worth a half day visit.

If the weather is not kind you could head north to Rothenburg odT and Nuremberg. Both are pretty little towns. Or you could head west into Alsace, France and see Mulhouse, Colmar, Riquewihr and Strasbourg. Although heading north to avoid wintry weather sounds a bit crazy these areas are at lower elevation and less likely to have snow.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: '15 228i Sport / Track
Dang- Mrs. ZTR and I are trying to figure out how to trim down our trip so that it will fit into 27 days.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 11-335i e93;14 Hybrid 3
Best part of your plan is you seem to be pacing yourself well and not trying to see all of Europe in a week ... Enjoy the trip!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K900 View Post
The BMW museum is closed on Mondays. Everything else is open, but good to keep that in mind. Perhaps get a lay of the land on Sunday at the Welt and take in the museum?
Good to know - thank you!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: '15 M235i August ED
As others have mentioned, you've given yourself a good plan here. I just got back from my ED yesterday, and we started our trip much as you've outlined here. The Garmisch area is excellent (though I didn't care for Garmisch itself). Beautiful villages and scenery. We stopped in Bad Tolz on the way down and strolled the pedestrian area for a little while. It's a great town. We were particularly enamored with the little Bavarian village of Wallgau. Lots of little cafes, beer gardens, and breweries. We didn't have time to stop, but we really wish we would have. Go a bit past Garmisch to Grainau and take the cable car up Zugspitze if the weather is nice.

As for jetlag, yes, this will be an issue. It sticks around for a couple days. As Trinitony said, keep yourself busy on day one. Restrict yourself to a SHORT nap just to hit the reset button, and then get out and keep moving. You'll be dog tired, but it will help immensely.

Also, don't restrict yourself to Hofbrauhaus. The beer and pretzels are indeed quite good, but you can have a much more authentic Munich experience elsewhere, as Hofbrau is absolutely swarmed with tourists. Schneider Weisse is a few blocks away, and Der Schorr (Hacker Schorr) is also within a few blocks, just across the Viktualienmarkt. These places have a good German crowd, which speaks volumes. You'll have a great time, whatever you do.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
Although you have only 8 days you have made an excellent choice of things to see in the time available. Although Fussen/Neuschwanstein and Salzburg can be reached by train they are a perfect choice for a car trip. Here are my suggestions - unfortunately some may be closed in November or be open but closed because of the weather:

1) You will have to adjust to the change in time zones. What works best for me is to have a busy day the day I arrive. By that I mean that I drop my bags at the hotel and then sightsee until at least dinner time - your Hofbrau plan will work but don't take too much "brau". Then hit the sack between 8 and 10 Munich time.
2) Take PhilT3's advice and use the Alpenstrasse for your route between Fussen and Salzburg. Here is a map prepared by AlfredG that shows the Alpenstrasse but in your case you would only be driving the section between Points A and K.
https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...4,3.735352&z=8
3) Your friend's suggestion of Garmisch is a good one. To that I would add Wieskirche (a beautiful Baroque church near Steingaden), Oberammergau, Linderhof Palace (if it is open), Mittenwald and Ramsau (my left sig pic). On the way you will pass many other scenic little villages/towns and lakes.
4)There is a lot to see in the Salzburg/Berchtesgaden area. I think the Eagle's Nest will be closed but the Documentation Center in Obersalzberg should be open. It is very interesting if you are WWII buff. Not too far from Salzburg is Hallstatt which is very pretty and worth a half day visit.

If the weather is not kind you could head north to Rothenburg odT and Nuremberg. Both are pretty little towns. Or you could head west into Alsace, France and see Mulhouse, Colmar, Riquewihr and Strasbourg. Although heading north to avoid wintry weather sounds a bit crazy these areas are at lower elevation and less likely to have snow.

Thank you for the suggestions!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerKurbis View Post
As others have mentioned, you've given yourself a good plan here. I just got back from my ED yesterday, and we started our trip much as you've outlined here. The Garmisch area is excellent (though I didn't care for Garmisch itself). Beautiful villages and scenery. We stopped in Bad Tolz on the way down and strolled the pedestrian area for a little while. It's a great town. We were particularly enamored with the little Bavarian village of Wallgau. Lots of little cafes, beer gardens, and breweries. We didn't have time to stop, but we really wish we would have. Go a bit past Garmisch to Grainau and take the cable car up Zugspitze if the weather is nice.

As for jetlag, yes, this will be an issue. It sticks around for a couple days. As Trinitony said, keep yourself busy on day one. Restrict yourself to a SHORT nap just to hit the reset button, and then get out and keep moving. You'll be dog tired, but it will help immensely.

Also, don't restrict yourself to Hofbrauhaus. The beer and pretzels are indeed quite good, but you can have a much more authentic Munich experience elsewhere, as Hofbrau is absolutely swarmed with tourists. Schneider Weisse is a few blocks away, and Der Schorr (Hacker Schorr) is also within a few blocks, just across the Viktualienmarkt. These places have a good German crowd, which speaks volumes. You'll have a great time, whatever you do.
Awesome - thank you!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: '15 M235i August ED
Forgot - hotels. I highly recommend the Cortiina (note the odd spelling). It's two blocks from Hofbrauhaus/Marienplatz, and it's a short walk to Englischer Garden and countless restaurants, pubs, and sights. The rooms are on the small side, but it is Europe after all. Clean, stylish, and excellent staff.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Driving 'en Plein Air'

Mein Auto: 435i vert ED July 2014
A well paced and certainly not ambitious plan... You will enjoy it. +1 on the Alpenstasse! And consider Linderhof Castle too... We thought is was very beautiful, not too crowded and a great early morning stop on the way to Neuschwanstein. You guys will have the time of your life

F33 435i M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Oyster/Black/Estoril | 441M 18" Wheels | Driver's Assistance | Premium | MDHP | M-Sport Brakes | MPPK for added weight | MPE to round it off

ED 2014: Click here to view ED report | ED 2008: Click here to view ED report | PCD Re-Delivery: Click here for PCD Report

RETIRED: 2008 E92 335i Coupé | BMWCCA Nº. 383753
Old 08-23-2014, 10:09 AM
European Delivery Advisor BIMMERFEST SPONSOR

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0
AH Stuart...I bet you are counting the days until your re-delivery!!!!
Old 08-25-2014, 01:51 PM
CarSwami

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
You will have to adjust to the change in time zones. What works best for me is to have a busy day the day I arrive. By that I mean that I drop my bags at the hotel and then sightsee until at least dinner time - your Hofbrau plan will work but don't take too much "brau". Then hit the sack between 8 and 10 Munich time.
I completely agree with the point made by Trinitony. I travel to Europe very frequently and the only thing that I do to get over jet lag quickly is to stay up until at least 9:00 PM local time on the first evening. If you make the mistake of taking a nap in the middle of the first day, you will have trouble adjusting to the time zone. I cannot predict how your body will react to jet lag, but I find that I'm completely over it on the second day if I stay up until at least 9:00 PM on the first day.

Enjoy your ED and your first trip to Europe.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
While you are still in the ED planning stage you should be warned that the 80 days between today and November 15 will seem shorter than the average of 60 days that it will probably take your car to return to Redmond Washington. This estimate of return time is based on gclabbe's Summary Sheet showing the time taken for a car to travel from the date of drop-off to the day it is returned to the EDer in Washington. You can find the Summary Sheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1802769074

If you read some of the threads posted by EDers who are waiting for their cars to return home you will see that the wait is long and the lack of information on the car's whereabouts is often described as a black hole. I would like to encourage future EDers to use a GPS tracker to see if it is possible to be informed by the tracker of the exact location of their car at all times (except, of course, while the car is on a ship).

As far as I know this has only been tried once and in fact is actually still in progress as the car is currently in mid-ocean. If you are interested in the GPS Tracker as a way of being informed on the location of your car after drop-off here is the thread started by Taito80:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791460

Just in case you are wondering, I have no financial interest in any form of GPS Tracker. My only interest is in developing a more satisfactory way of tracking a car, while on land, from the drop-off point to re-delivery. I hope my next BMW will be another ED and I do not look forward to spending time in the black hole!!
Old 08-28-2014, 09:46 AM

Based on feedback, and my wife's desire to see Vienna, we've added a couple days to our trip.

Are there any major mountain passes between Munich and Vienna? Only concern is if the weather and roads are bad.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: Nissan Maxima
I have been to Europe many times for 8 days and I think you're fine. You'll get over the jet lag soon. It's different for everyone. For me, it's worse coming back. Your trip looks good. You're not over-doing it so you can enjoy and relax. You will love it.