Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems

Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems
Have you had an exceptionally great experience with a particular BMW Center? Have you had a bad experience at your BMW Center? Frustrated by problems or defects with your vehicle? Post your stories or comments here.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 135i
BMW post sales survey

Just wanted to ask people here, and especially the ones who are affiliated with a dealership, if the post sales survey a customer fills out is actually taken seriously by either BMW or the dealership.

Thanks for any responses.
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2014, 07:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
zx - Why not post this at the "Ask a Dealer" post on Best of Bimmerfest? I was wracking my brain and can't remember filling out any such survey -- but hey, I was excited in getting my new Bimmer(s) and didn't pay a lot of attention to anything that wasn't going to cost me anything.......like the junk the F&I guy was trying to foist off on me.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure which subforum would have been appropriate for this thread.

As far as the survey goes, it was sent to me via email after the sale.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30
The survey is a very big deal for the seller. They can get a big bonus if you max grade them. They usually mention they appreciate it very much if you give them a high score.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i xDrive
My sales guy told me point blank to lie through my teeth and give them 100% on everything.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
To my mind, one of the questions on the survey should be, "Did anyone at the dealer tell you to how to respond to this survey?" because it's ridiculous to be told/asked to give the dealer 100%. When I bought my X1 my CA was good enough, but I was honest on the survey about my dissatisfaction with the demo after purchase. It wasn't the CA's fault and I didn't blame him. I suggested the dealership needed a more open, less busy area for the demo. My demo was in the very crowded parking area right outside the showroom entrance, and a valet was pulling cars in and out. It was very distracting and more than once I asked the CA to pause while I nervously watched a car being maneuvered inches from my new vehicle. I felt as if there was much I didn't grasp because of that. It was only by reading this forum, for example, that i found the cool feature of using radio presets for other functions.

Anyway, I dinged them very slightly for that, and then later my CA got on touch to express his irritation that I hadn't filled out the survey with 100% approval.

If someone wants those surveys to mean something, BMW should address the issue of leaderships telling people how to fill them out. If they don't really care, skip it all together as a waste of time.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to dannyc9997
Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
If someone wants those surveys to mean something, BMW should address the issue of leaderships telling people how to fill them out. If they don't really care, skip it all together as a waste of time.
It's a flawed system for a reason.

BMW and most if not all manufacturers pay out bonuses as part of the survey system obviously. They use it as a tool to pay dealers less, not more. Dealers turn this around on the salespeople and put it on them. The survey is a method of reducing costs. The little dealership that sells 30 cars a month can easily manage the survey system, they come out on top making the bigger volume stores look bad. Thus saving the manufacturer quite a bit of money.

These surveys are intentionally made to be difficult to fill out. I work for Toyota USA. It's not 1 through 10, with us it's poor to "truly exceptional". Anything less than a "truly exceptional" on about 40 questions is a failure.

How often is the car sale process "truly exceptional"?? It's pure insanity. One of the questions is how would you rate the negotiation? Well gee, if the consumer doesn't get the price they want, how on earth are they going to rate it truly exceptional?

Are we supposed to give every car away to earn a high mark there?

No, they do it on purpose to avoid payouts. That's my thought on it.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
The survey experience in both new car delivery and serivice could be better. The Quid Pro Quo atmosphere it creates skews the accuracy of the tool.

Last edited by schnell525; 06-10-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive
A lot of CAs will "coach" you on this, even though they're not supposed to. Anything less than a 10 is a fail. Any response that's less than an 100% and they can (and probably will) lose money depending on how their bonus structure is set up. BMW expects everything to be over 94% at the minimum.

Bottom line, if you like your CA (or SA for that matter), give them all 10s and then use the comment section for anything you'd like to note- or just email the dealer/BMW NA directly.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 428iX; 2012 Volt
After the purchase of our last several cars (several Audis and a Volt) in the past 10-12 years, it seems that we were surveyed to death after each purchase. We took delivery of a 428 on a 12/31 get it out of stock before year end super deal. Surprisingly, we have not yet received a single post sale survey from BMW. The dealer did a really crappy job incomplete job on the demo and I had to return several times for minor items that were not caught in the pre-delivery. I wonder if they held back my survey knowing that there was a good chance they would have earned some low marks? OR since the car came out of stock (had been in stock for 3 months), maybe there is something they are hiding? I wonder if the dealer has the ability to hold back the survey or does it come from BMW?

Last edited by Road&MTN_Biker; 07-27-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road&MTN_Biker View Post
After the purchase of our last several cars (several Audis and a Volt) in the past 10-12 years, it seems that we were surveyed to death after each purchase. We took delivery of a 428 on a 12/31 get it out of stock before year end super deal. Surprisingly, we have not yet received a single post sale survey from BMW. The dealer did a really crappy job incomplete job on the demo and I had to return several times for minor items that were not caught in the pre-delivery. I wonder if they held back my survey knowing that there was a good chance they would have earned some low marks? OR since the car came out of stock (had been in stock for 3 months), maybe there is something they are hiding? I wonder if the dealer has the ability to hold back the survey or does it come from BMW?
They have the ability to report your email incorrectly so that you do not receive the survey. Sometimes when you know it's going to be bad, that's your only recourse as a dealer
Old 07-27-2014, 10:24 AM

And BMW (at least for me) will contact the dealership to make sure they get a correct email address. I just recently got a call from a dealer where I got some service work done. The email they have on file kept bouncing and BMW told them to call me to get a correct email address to send a post service survey.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
And BMW (at least for me) will contact the dealership to make sure they get a correct email address. I just recently got a call from a dealer where I got some service work done. The email they have on file kept bouncing and BMW told them to call me to get a correct email address to send a post service survey.
Yes, but if they used a good email which is not yours it's going to slip past BMW. I know plenty of people in the business that create emails just for this reason.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Post-sales survey

I know it's a lost battle, but I am not sure what BMW does with 20,000 or more surveys with all "10s." Do they sit around the office with a brewski, saying, "Ach, ya!," or around a campfire roasting marshmallows in a circle jerk of self-congratulatory buffoonery?

I don't get it. They learn absolutely nothing from such robotic, knee-jerk responses from their customers.

Or perhaps they just don't care, and the survey may really be only designed to provide BMW with an excuse to deny bonus funds to dealerships who receive less than stellar (albeit totally worthless) surveys.

It's totally idiotic. Since when is "Outstanding" a failing grade? And please explain the difference between "Outstanding" and "Truly Exceptional." What do you have to do to be "truly exceptional," anyway? Paint the customer's house, or pay for his or her kid's braces?

Don't get me started, though it appears to be too late.

Last edited by Runon MD1; 07-30-2014 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-29-2014, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sedan
If you don't overdo it, you can point out things you are not happy with before you leave and get a correction or comp. But this perfect score thing is not just BMW. We bought a Honda CRV for my wife in April, and they discussed the survey I would be receiving, and how important it was to rate everything all 5's (their top score)!

2006 325xi / Sparkling Graphite / Terra / Walnut/ Steptronic /Premium Package - Nav / Xenons || iPod Adapter | Blacklines (retired 5-1-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
Or perhaps they just don't care, and the survey may really be only designed to provide BMW with an excuse to deny bonus funds to dealerships who receive less than stellar (albeit totally worthless) surveys.
Nail on the head. Who do you think is going to have a tougher time managing the survey system? The mom and pop store selling 30 cars a month (little to no volume incentive) or the mega store doing 350 ($$$$)?

Sorry mr volume store, your CSI is below region and district, you lose.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:04 AM

Since it's well known and documented that buyers are coached on asked to give "all 10's) on the sales survey, I think it follow, (and why wouldn't it) to the service side. The incentive process for service is probably based on the same type of feedback.

It is quite well known about the quid pro quo process in place with BMW Sales and Service. So the question lies....

If you get a lemon, or a car with many problems and you reply to surveys, despite having poor service and repairs not completed and you end up giving your service people high marks in spirit of quid pro quo--will this come back and haunt you with a problem car?

I can see BMWUSA pulling your survey data and with them saying to the effect "you said everything was perfect"....if everything was perfect, then why did you give us high marks on the survey?

Duh, it's called quid pro quo, and it's an incredibly poor survey design that's meant to benefit one side, BMW and its dealerships. Maybe the best practice is not to respond at all. Nothing is designed to benefit the customers, but the corporation, dealership, and staff. These surveys have legs, and are used for a reason.

Even if you do not want to alienate your service department despite poor service, the 10's you put down can be a detriment to you if there's a problem with it. Quid pro quo is functioning well.

However as a caveat--I've had some very good sales people that have worked hard. However the service side leaves you hangin' some times.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
I know it's a lost battle, but I am not sure what BMW does with 20,000 or more surveys with all "10s." Do they sit around the office with a brewski, saying, "Ach, ya!," or around a campfire roasting marshmallows in a circle jerk of self-congratulatory buffoonery?

I don't get it. They learn absolutely nothing from such robotic, knee-jerk responses from their customers.

It's totally idiotic. Since when is "Outstanding" a failing grade? And please explain the difference between "Outstanding" and "Truly Exceptional." What do you have to do to be "truly exceptional," anyway? Paint the customer's house, or pay for his or her kid's braces?

Don't get me started, though it appears to be too late.

Good one!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Post Sales Survey

[QUOTE=schnell525;8502197]"you said everything was perfect"....if everything was perfect, then why did you give us high marks on the survey?

I'm pretty sure that you meant to say, "If everything WASN'T perfect.....etc."

Richard
Old 08-29-2014, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
"Just a few lines to follow up, a reminder: dont forget to take a few minutes of your time today to complete my survey, this is very important to me, and my performance. Remember all exceptional, all 10s and yess, nothing lower, even if you didnt like finance or even if you didnt like the coffee
Now, if you think you cannot give me these scores, I will ask that you do not complete and I will understand."

so she wants me to give her 10s after she told me MSDs are not worth it, selling price doesn't matter during a lease, and I would have to open my own dealership to get the base MF....
Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive
Call the dealer, let the sales manager know what happened and then if he doesn't react appropriately, fill out the survey truthfully. Give them a chance to fix it "in house" before you reach out to dad.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktagly2 View Post
Call the dealer, let the sales manager know what happened and then if he doesn't react appropriately, fill out the survey truthfully. Give them a chance to fix it "in house" before you reach out to dad.
That might cause more harm to the salesperson that a less-than-ideal survey response. I was honest on my survey. I can't remember if I gave all 10s or not, but I also didn't see any reason to lie for my salesman. He didn't do me any great favors.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 PM

what it comes down to is simply--selling a car. it's a transaction, not a heart transplant where everything matters to your survival.

the survey is a compensation method, if not a scheme--when a CA coaches you on how to fill it out, that points towards a scheme.

it's like the "Rate Your BMW Dealer on Bimmerfest.com Now!"

whomever created that (which currently has 0 replies IIRC) should really think a bit. if there were positives, you'd see it. if you have negatives--most (if not all at this point) are not ratting out their dealers--which obviously with anyone that has any survey design understand can predict and suspect that the customer will see a negative or retaliatory response when they try to get their car service.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E90 3351
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyc9997 View Post
They have the ability to report your email incorrectly so that you do not receive the survey. Sometimes when you know it's going to be bad, that's your only recourse as a dealer
I didn't want to believe this to be true but I think that's what happened when I bought my wife's vehicle, an Infiniti. We actually ended up having a bunch of problems with it and lemoned it in the end. When I spoke to Nissan USA customer relations I mentioned that I never received any follow-up surveys as a result of many visits to service much less when I purchased the car. On another visit to the dealership I asked them to verify my email address and it turns out that it was a completely nonsensical address and nothing close to what it should have been. They might have well just entered QWERTY@XYZ.com.

The games that these guys play to make a buck... pretty embarrassing.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGiant View Post
I didn't want to believe this to be true but I think that's what happened when I bought my wife's vehicle, an Infiniti. We actually ended up having a bunch of problems with it and lemoned it in the end. When I spoke to Nissan USA customer relations I mentioned that I never received any follow-up surveys as a result of many visits to service much less when I purchased the car. On another visit to the dealership I asked them to verify my email address and it turns out that it was a completely nonsensical address and nothing close to what it should have been. They might have well just entered QWERTY@XYZ.com.

The games that these guys play to make a buck... pretty embarrassing.
Well, sometimes people are just unreasonable. For example, a customer leased a Camry from me one time, for the advertised lease payment (something like $1999 down, $169 a month). The following day when picking it up (car is registered, no going back now) she says "I saw your ad in the paper saying you sell these cars for $19,990, my lease contract says agreed value is $20,990"

I kindly explained to her when you lease a car, you don't get the cash rebate, the ad clearly mentions that $19,990 is for a purchase not a lease. She began yelling, screaming, and even crying in the showroom that we were ripping her off, despite the fact that she came in wanting a specific lease ad....whatever.

If it were up to me, I would have unwound her deal and cancelled her plates sending her on her way. She refused this, and also refused to pick up the car until we "corrected our error". Later that night we dropped the car in her driveway and put the keys in the mailbox. The next day, she had it TOWED back to the dealership. We had it towed to the street, it was subsequently towed by the police, and I never heard from her again.

I changed her email so she wouldn't get a survey. Should I be embarrassed?