Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Transmisison Surging to 3k at low speeds

2007 3.0si with 88k.

On occasions, but not all the time, when accelerating from a stop, or a rolling stop, the revs will increase dramatically to about 3000 rpm in a very short period of time, as if the engine was revving unloaded, if that makes sense.

The car will be moving forward and it doesn't give the feeling of a slipping clutch.

Often noticeable if on a slight incline, and most noticeable when my wife is in the car as she gives me grief about trying to race away from the lights, which I am not trying to do. Even gentle pedal pressure will send the revs racing.

Low speed gearbox changes are often rougher than I would expect, particularly downshifts.

Had the transmission software updated recently, but no change. Took a good half hour to upload the changes, so I assume it was never done before.

VCG, Valvetronice and VANOS seals all done recently. Transfer case fluid changed. Transmisison fluid changed but not filter yet.

No codes showing on ODB reader.

Several people drive the car and I wonder about the "self learning software" . I think I drive "analoguely" where I rest my heel on the floor and move the pedal fluidly, whereas my wife drives it "digitally" (my terms) where she doesn't rest her heel on the floor (short legs) and stabs at the pedal

Other possibilities - bad gas? Add techron? Fuel filter? Bad transmission solenoids

I don't have the chugging at highway speeds, just this sensitivity at low speeds

any thoughts?
Old 08-22-2014, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
It sort of sounds like the torque converter might be on its way out. Especially since you are not encountering any error codes.

I had a similar surging issue when decelerating to a stop or when stopped. If my foot was not firmly on the brake, it felt like it would want to lurch ahead. Not long after the first surge would appear, the car would go into limp mode and eventually stall when at idle speeds. Especially when turning, which does not instill confidence when crossing traffic.

But, my CEL was illuminated. The initial codes were for cam position sensors. Subsequently, I had codes for VANOS solenoids. I change both cam position sensors and then the VANOS solenoids based upon the error codes. At the same time, I also changed spark plugs and coils (based upon mileage.)

After changing the 4 sensors/solenoids I no longer have the surging issue. Were your VANOS solenoids cleaned or replaced when your VANOS seals were done?

If you are a DIY-er it might be worth pulling out the VANOS solenoids and cleaning them to see if it makes a difference. It is a quick DIY.

BMW CCA #422951

Old 08-22-2014, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I cleaned the solenoids with compressed air when I changed the seals. I was previously getting a code that indicated that one of the solenoids was bad, so I replaced it and cleaned the other again.

Would low transmission fluid do this? Is there a sensor to detect low fluid and a corresponding code? It did it before and after I changed the fluid, though.