Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-23-2014, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Engine function light

Have a '15 X3 3.5i with about 7,000 mi since May. The engine function light came on as yellow. Called the dealer and couldn't get me in till next Thurs. Nothing in the manual on this. Dealer said don't worry, can drive it unless the light goes to red. No indication of what this could be. Anyone have this experience and outcome?
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Probably just a gas cap, I would not lose any sleep over it.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 540i
Similar Experience

I've had my car since November 2013. The engine function light turned orange yesterday. My car has 6800 miles and is due for servicing in about 2000 miles. The dealer said the engine function light could mean "one of 50 things wrong with the engine" and to bring the car in for diagnosis. The wait for an appointment is probably a week, and the wait for a loaner car is 3-4 weeks! He said the car is safe for local driving but not for a long trip. Bummer

Has anyone else's car's engine function light turned orange, and what was the diagnosis?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xDrive28d
I wonder what I would do in this case. 200 miles from my dealer. 60 miles from nearest.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:55 PM

Dealer appointment

Managed to get an appointment tomorrow morning! Let's see what they find.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i
Similar Situation

I experienced the same issue. My SA told me their diagnosis was a known issue with the gas cap. Well, not the gas cap itself, but a related part. They replaced the " SA-Pressure switch." It took about an hour. I forgot to mention I had about 7,500 miles when the warning came on.

Previous BMW: 2006 X5 4.4, Stratus Grey, Nav, Sport & Cold Weather packages, BMW Running boards, Intravee II, Michelin Latitude Tour HP.

Last edited by BMWvoid; 08-27-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:49 AM

Wife just called and service dept said it was gas cap. Brother, the EPA strikes again. She drives an hour for a gas cap adjustment - not sure what they did. These regulations cause more emissions than they prevent. I probably could have fixed it or gotten new cap without making a special trip.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 PM

Got our car back from the dealership today. SA said the NVLD pressure switch was not functioning properly. Here are the details from the invoice, if you are interested:

"Electrically faulted NVLD pressure switch. Connected battery charger at 14.2V, performed vehicle test and found fault 190302 fuel tank vent micro leak. Performed energy diagnosis and found no cause of a discharged battery found SOC is 82%. Performed AT1214_TVD_NVLDII - diagnostic module for tank leaks, as per test plan leak tested fuel tank, inspected all lines and connections of NVLD system found no faults, inspected all hoses and snap fittings found no faults. Found no leaks of NVLD evap system. DETERMINED THE NVLD PRESSURE SWITCH TO BE ELECTRICALLY FAULTED DC: D1330_B0000000_24_300. Removed and installed new NVLD pressure switch."
Old 08-30-2014, 06:02 AM

Yellow check engine light went on one day after the SA turned it off; I'm looking for the invoice but they said it was the fuel cap. My wife did not fuel car or make any changes from the time of service to when the light came back on. Decided to wait till change oil light comes on in approx 2,000 miles. Need to make a 1500 mile trip in a week and worried about having this light on again for the trip. Dealer is an hour away so may make a phone call on Tuesday. Thanks for posting your diagnosis.