Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Should I be able to charge my ipad?

I tried to plug my ipad mini into the USB plug in the armrest but my ipad says "not charging"

Is this USB plug suppose to be used for this purpose? thx
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2014, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by dommm View Post
I tried to plug my ipad mini into the USB plug in the armrest but my ipad says "not charging"

Your iPad will "trickle charge" if plugged in an turned off. There is not enough current on that port. You can purchase 3rd party lighter based chargers that will work fine. Check out Target and make sure to get one that has iPad support.

jeff
Old 08-30-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Your iPad will "trickle charge" if plugged in an turned off. There is not enough current on that port. You can purchase 3rd party lighter based chargers that will work fine. Check out Target and make sure to get one that has iPad support.

jeff
OK, thanks for the reply.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i XDrive
Quote:

This one will charge your iPad and another device nicely, and it's fairly low-profile. You can insert it in the armrest outlet, plug a USB cable in, and still close the armrest up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LWH2RJM
Old 08-30-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
This one will charge your iPad and another device nicely, and it's fairly low-profile. You can insert it in the armrest outlet, plug a USB cable in, and still close the armrest up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LWH2RJM
The link you supplied looks like an adapter that needs to be plugged into a cigarette lighter & my car does not have a cigarette lighter in the armrest. I was hoping I could us the USB plug that I do have in the armrest to charge up my ipad but thanks anyway for the link.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i XDrive
Quote:
The link you supplied looks like an adapter that needs to be plugged into a cigarette lighter & my car does not have a cigarette lighter in the armrest. I was hoping I could us the USB plug that I do have in the armrest to charge up my ipad but thanks anyway for the link.
I guess the cigarette lighter in the armrest is a recent addition; there's one right next to the USB port in my 535ix. Do you have one under the dashboard on the passenger side?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
I guess the cigarette lighter in the armrest is a recent addition; there's one right next to the USB port in my 535ix. Do you have one under the dashboard on the passenger side?
Yes I have one in the usual place in the ashtray thanks.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 AM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
Don't know if you have the net on the side of the drive train tunnel on the passenger side or not. I find it a good place to put the iPad for charging either from the ash tray or the under dash power sockets.

The secret to remember - since not all capable adapters advertise iPad support - is that the adapter must have 2.1 amps on at least one USB port. There are many available with 2 USB ports, some have the same amperage at both some are split.

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 08-31-2014, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Try this one from amazon. Puts out up to 2.1amps per port, and will charge both Apple and android at full rate. Anker has fantastic customer support should you have any problems with any of their products.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
Try this one from amazon. Puts out up to 2.1amps per port, and will charge both Apple and android at full rate. Anker has fantastic customer support should you have any problems with any of their products.
Thanks