Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 08-31-2014, 02:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
2000 740iL 4.0L engine question

Hi all,
Been looking at a lot of used 740s in the past couple of months for a back up car (I'm putting way too many miles on my 2011 4Runner).

Looking primarily in the 1996-2000 range because the blue book values are right in there for my price range.

I found this one (attached, pics taken in front of a rental home that the owner owns)
Immaculate condition, just mint! ALways garaged, one owner, 101,000 miles. (Owner was a senior exec for Tommy Bahama. He is reitired now, drives a Mercedes, and is downsizing his 'personal fleet')
This particular 740iL, fully loaded minus nav, well the owner is asking about $1500 over blue book market for this area but it's understandable as the condition of this car is great.
I'm in no hurry to buy, offered him what the car is actually WORTH and walked away. He's since come down $700 but I'm a little concerned.

Help needed!
The engine sounds strong, feels strong, however at idle in the driveway, there was a noticeable tick on one side of the engine when first started up (it got better as the oil warmed up) and a very faint knock on the other engine valve cover that almost sounded like something knocking on the plastic cover. Weird sound. It concerned me.

Anything that is an obvious red flag on this concern?
Owner has all receipts for work done on the car, including some sort of 100k mile check up that came out clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140831_124118_resized.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	461876   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140831_124111_resized.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	461877  

Last edited by Sportsdad; 08-31-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2014, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: '96 740iL
If the ticking is coming from the drivers side, it may be the fuel tank breather valve next to the oil filter on the fender wall. If the second sound you describe is on the passenger side, Google E38 timing chain guide failure.

Also check the service records. At 100k, it about time for the suspension and cooling system to need an overhaul.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
If the ticking is coming from the drivers side, it may be the fuel tank breather valve next to the oil filter on the fender wall. If the second sound you describe is on the passenger side, Google E38 timing chain guide failure.

Also check the service records. At 100k, it about time for the suspension and cooling system to need an overhaul.
Thank you.

Found this post too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel740i View Post
VANOS or guides most likely, might as well do both now before the ticking turns into a knock knock knock and the cams jump time
Old 08-31-2014, 03:06 PM

Found this great thread on Vanos issues.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=vanos+issue

Hmm, I'm starting to get cold feet.

Quote:
The internal helical gears within the VANOS units wear out and thats what causes the tapping/knocking diesel sound.

Last edited by Sportsdad; 08-31-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: '96 740iL
Personally, I would never by a facelift e38 ('99-'01) unless the guides have been done. I have passed on two '01's that needed this job done. Both cars listed for $1500. I simply do not have the desire to do the job at this point in my life. Having it done will cost you around $3500.

Don't usually see the guides fail at 100k but many think it's as much of a time thing as mileage. See if he will let you make a video of the engine noise and post it here. There are plenty of guys here who could tell you what you are hearing.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
Personally, I would never by a facelift e38 ('99-'01) unless the guides have been done. I have passed on two '01's that needed this job done. Both cars listed for $1500. I simply do not have the desire to do the job at this point in my life. Having it done will cost you around $3500.

Don't usually see the guides fail at 100k but many think it's as much of a time thing as mileage. See if he will let you make a video of the engine noise and post it here. There are plenty of guys here who could tell you what you are hearing.
Thanks for your feedback.

Some chap had a video up upon a thread search, sounded like his video.

I just have a cold gut feeling about this one. Too good to be true, and to top it off, he's asking too much over KBB and NADA.

I do a lot of my own 'maintenance' items work, but am too old and lazy to tackle something like vanos (should that be the issue)