Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
My car pulled to the right on non-run flats.
AND on run flats?

I thought I had my car fixed, but now i'm paranoid about it, and instead of enjoying it, i keep letting go of the wheel to see if it goes straight or not. Also can't tell if the wheel is straight or not after the retarded dealer decided to do a tire alignment to fix the pulling, instead of doing the strut thing as BMW instructs them.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeo3000 View Post
now i'm paranoid about it, and instead of enjoying it, i keep letting go of the wheel to see if it goes straight or not.
Been there..... After I got it fixed with new tires, this conscious/subconscious behaviour has completely gone away, the car started going exactly where I pointed it, so I completely hear you, Bud. Shame on BMW to continue to sell cars with such condition.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
I may be back to this thread with my own F. Switching back to stock RFTs in a few days (those that pulled rather hard). For starters, I will put the fronts on the rear and see if that takes care of the pull. At least I know the tires were to blame in my case, unlike some Fs out there. Will report my findings as soon as I switch.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:02 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeo3000 View Post
AND on run flats?

I thought I had my car fixed, but now i'm paranoid about it, and instead of enjoying it, i keep letting go of the wheel to see if it goes straight or not. Also can't tell if the wheel is straight or not after the retarded dealer decided to do a tire alignment to fix the pulling, instead of doing the strut thing as BMW instructs them.
Yes, on both. Pretty much equally.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-08-2012, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i-Dark Graphite ED
I took my car in last week, complained about the pulling to right, I agreed to have an alignment, price was right and I have a lot of miles on the car. During the alignment, they "discovered" that the left strut was slightly bent. So they are blaming the pull on that, the car has pulled since I picked it up in Germany on August 1st, 2010. BTW, my car is still pulling to right even though I was told the test drive found no pull. I had another dealership try to fix the pulling when I first got the car back to the USA but it never did solve the problem, I just grew to live with it. I am now out of patience with the pulling. Any advice on the strut problem and still getting them to try and fix the real problem?
79 528i - Retired
77 320i - Retired
70 Challenger R/T - Retired but not forgotten
67 VW Bus - Long retired
BMWCCA member since 1979

Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
2011 535i (5/10 build)
Same issue. Right pull since I bought it CPO w/9K in Oct. 2011. Salesman said BMW's and Mercs pull right so you don't drift into traffic. He is no longer there, go figure. Well its just not that slight anymore and is very irritating. Total BUNK in my opinion.
Great Service Dept but getting the "we've never heard of that."
Step 1 - They just did the tire swap and alignment. No Dice.
They are telling me I need a Camber Arm. At my cost!! No Dice again. Going to discuss it tomorrow w/dealer. I have copied and pasted many of the posts and this work order (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=549373)
so they don't BS me.
Love the car. Just want it running straight.
I will post with an update.
Thanks for all the great posts on this issue!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i, 00 M Roadster
If you take in the post and other work orders, atleast then you have documentation and they cant just sit there and act stupid, i did the same thing when i took mine in, seems that once theu find out you did some homework, they get much smarter. You can also go to BMWNA. Mine was easy enough and was fixed with a simple reprogram (took almost 8 hours) but others I have seen need new steering components. I wanna say that needscaf had a good write up on this issue.. could be wrong. just do a search
Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
If you take in the post and other work orders, atleast then you have documentation and they cant just sit there and act stupid, i did the same thing when i took mine in, seems that once theu find out you did some homework, they get much smarter. You can also go to BMWNA. Mine was easy enough and was fixed with a simple reprogram (took almost 8 hours) but others I have seen need new steering components. I wanna say that needscaf had a good write up on this issue.. could be wrong. just do a search
Yup.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=544435

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-21-2012, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d x drive
I am taking my car in for the 7th time for this issue in the next couple of weeks. There is a PUMA case for it, they have aligned it twice and they have adjusted the struts twice, and still no better. I say it's the tires, but I want it fixed. At one point the BMW rep was there and tried to blame me saying he saw a mark on the inside of the rim meaning I hit a pot hole. I told him I had been complaining since I got the car, so please try again....

I'll let you all know what happens.
2014 535d xdrive ED 4/28/14 Glacier silver, Ivory Interior-Soft Close Doors, Ash wood, Harmon Kardon, Cold Package, Driver Assistant and Driver Assistant Plus, Luxury Line, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package

Old 04-21-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art234 View Post
I am taking my car in for the 7th time for this issue in the next couple of weeks. There is a PUMA case for it, they have aligned it twice and they have adjusted the struts twice, and still no better. I say it's the tires, but I want it fixed. At one point the BMW rep was there and tried to blame me saying he saw a mark on the inside of the rim meaning I hit a pot hole. I told him I had been complaining since I got the car, so please try again....

Why have they not done the other fix?

Old 05-24-2012, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 AW 535i

Last edited by tdance; 06-15-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:12 PM

Last edited by tdance; 06-15-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:15 PM

delete

Last edited by tdance; 05-24-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Did they fix it? Did you pay for the alignment each time? I am afraid they are going to make me pay for the alignment because they mentioned it was $190 for an alignment.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdance View Post
Did they fix it? Did you pay for the alignment each time? I am afraid they are going to make me pay for the alignment because they mentioned it was $190 for an alignment.
The dealer has refused to address the issue further on advice from the zone technical rep. I am escalating through BMW NA. The tech is trying to blame me, and I am tired of the nonsense.

What the rep forgets is that I have been reporting this practically since delivery. We will see what happens...
2014 535d xdrive ED 4/28/14 Glacier silver, Ivory Interior-Soft Close Doors, Ash wood, Harmon Kardon, Cold Package, Driver Assistant and Driver Assistant Plus, Luxury Line, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package

Old 05-25-2012, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
lemon law

time to get out of a car they can not fix.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYG Y2k5285spCT View Post
time to get out of a car they can not fix.
That will be my last resort, but it is on the table.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: Dublin City Centre
Quote:
That will be my last resort, but it is on the table.
Did u finally get a fixed on this? Mine is suffering the same issue, only its is to the left as my the car is RHD.. Had changed to a new set of Michelin PSS tyres, done alignment but car still pulls to the left..

DO we really need to change the steering rack?
Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535Ix M Sport
Guys, I am now dealing with this pulling to the right but an even bigger issue on top of this, below is my post from another thread, would love some input... also when you guys get multiple alignments done, are you paying for each one? or is the dealer covering that to fix the issues?

Took my car in Monday for scheduled oil change and inspection. Told the SA that since June my car has been pulling to the right a tiny bit at highway speeds, and authorized them to do an alignment.

After doing one, they come back to me telling me:

REPLACE THE RIGHT FRONT UPPER CONTROL
ARM WITH NEGATIVE CAMBER CORRECTION (THE
RIGHT FRONT CAMBER IS OUT-OF-SPEC)

And the kicker, they are telling me that its not covered by the cars warranty because its what is needed to fix the alignment, yet its a part of the car attached to the car??????

They are saying that the alignment is only covered in the first two months, which is fine and dandy I can respect that, but if this top arm is bent slightly after only being driven for 10 months and 8000 miles, and has not had any out side impact, shouldnt that be covered by the warranty since its designed to be straight but has gone bent due to defect?

Am I wrong here guys? has any one had any experience with this?

$600 bucks for a part that may or not even fix my alignment is what they are saying now and still wont budge on warranty, stating that some out side force had to have bent it.

If there was strong enough force to bend an control arm then there would be damage to a tire or wheel as that would take some impact, no?

Is the dealer that broke they are trying to make money on their customers?

Please advise guys.

MODS So Far:
Color matched front reflectors
Piano Black Slats, Color Matched trim Front Grill

Previous Cars:
1989 Nissan Sentra
1992 Honda Civic Hatch
1992 Toyota Camry
2003 Acura TL Type S With Nav
Old 09-25-2014, 08:53 AM

Mine had been pulling to the right since the day I got it 3 years ago.

I took it in several times. The first time they told me there was nothing wrong with it.
Another time an SA told me that these cars were designed to pull to the right in case you fall asleep at the wheel!!!! Unbelievable!!!

The next time they did an alignement which didn't fix the issue. Then around March 2012
I heard about a software update which was supposed to fix some issues including the steering.
I went to the dealer and told them about it. They said my car was up to date and there were no updates available!

Earlier this year I took my car in for another issue and they told me that there are some software updates available and they would reprogram the car.
Well, it didn't solve the other issue (constant engine tapping noise), but it finally fixed the pulling to the right issue.

It took a year and a half, but apparently a reprogram of the car was the solution.

535i - DGII, Black Dakota, Multi-Contour Seats, Fold Down Seats, Ski Bag, PP1, PDC, Rear-View Camera, Nav, BMW apps.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Mine had been pulling to the right since the day I got it 3 years ago.

I took it in several times. The first time they told me there was nothing wrong with it.
Another time an SA told me that these cars were designed to pull to the right in case you fall asleep at the wheel!!!! Unbelievable!!!

The next time they did an alignement which didn't fix the issue. Then around March 2012
I heard about a software update which was supposed to fix some issues including the steering.
I went to the dealer and told them about it. They said my car was up to date and there were no updates available!

Earlier this year I took my car in for another issue and they told me that there are some software updates available and they would reprogram the car.
Well, it didn't solve the other issue (constant engine tapping noise), but it finally fixed the pulling to the right issue.

It took a year and a half, but apparently a reprogram of the car was the solution.
Is yours Xdrive?

My SA told me today that the software update only affect non X drive as they are electronically controlled, and X drives are hydraulic steering.

MODS So Far:

Previous Cars:
1989 Nissan Sentra
1992 Honda Civic Hatch
1992 Toyota Camry
Old 09-25-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysky007 View Post
Is yours Xdrive?

My SA told me today that the software update only affect non X drive as they are electronically controlled, and X drives are hydraulic steering.
No, mine is not X drive.

535i - DGII, Black Dakota, Multi-Contour Seats, Fold Down Seats, Ski Bag, PP1, PDC, Rear-View Camera, Nav, BMW apps.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto:
2014 535d from the first day car pulling to the right. Dealer fixed my car already twice. Took 2 weeks all together. Nothing to help
Old 10-07-2014, 09:14 AM

My dealer wanted to order an put on a new control top arm that was shorter to fix the problem, and charge me for it, I didtn want to pay it as I feel that should be covered by the warranty, if the car is pulling to the right due to a long control arm that is on them not me.

Then the head mechanic told me the same story that many others have heard, that BMW does this by design so that if you let go of the wheel you will avoid head on traffic??????????

MODS So Far:

Previous Cars:
1989 Nissan Sentra
1992 Honda Civic Hatch
1992 Toyota Camry
Old 10-07-2014, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto:
Nope, this is not true. They don't know what to do to fix the car. I will call to BMW NA to find out how to solve this issue. My dealer located in Edison, NJ. Looks like he is not able to fix it