BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

End of the year decision: 535xi or 550xi? (both drivers chime in)

6K views 66 replies 35 participants last post by  cordoor 
#1 ·
This forum has been a wealth of knowledge and helped with making the sound decision of waiting for my current lease to expire and wait for larger end-of-year incentives to lease my first BMW. I test drove the 535xi w/ m-sport and a few other packages. However, after reading some additional older threads about "535 vs 550", I can't help but wonder if I should have a "balanced" car with the 535 or a "beast" with the 550i. Here's some background:

1.) I work in sales, so I do about 18-20k per year and spend about 50/50 highway city when making my drives. (I will be leasing for 36 months and 18k.)

2.) I've had an 2006 Infiniti M35 sport rwd, 2009 Infiniti FX 50 awd, and 2013 Lexus GS 350awd as my last vehicles. I really enjoyed my M35 due to the sport suspension and my FX 50 due to the raw power under the engine. The Lexus was a nice change, but it was flat out boring to me...and still is.

3.) MPG is a small concern but anything was better than my FX 50 (14/20). What is everyone with the 535 / 550 getting overall?

4.) I've read past "Dynamic Handling Package" threads and heard this is a very good option to add on. Does the M-sport package come with the m-sport suspension on the awd model? Is it worth the 3,100?

5.) Anyone have regrets going from going with 535 or 550?

Thanks for your input!

See less See more
#45 ·
August 2014 535xi, this car is awesome. I have the M-Sport package, and average combined mileage since purchases is 21mpg combined city and highway with 2700 miles so far. on trips, i get 28-30mpg in ecopro mode. When i want power and feel like adding the sport+ mode does it all, DHP tighter steering, and the familiar BMW growl on acceleration.

No regrets not getting the V-8 550i, and my prior 335xi had the same 300 hp engine. this car is a pleasure to drive, I have the luxury seats, larger M-sport wheels, low profile goodyear eagle run flats, and the ride is quiet and luxurious. As I said earlier when i feel like kicking it up a bit, I put it in sport or sport+ mode.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy either one....mine is Alpine White with Mocca Brown luxury interior, M-Sport, comfort access, driver assistance plus, etc.

#46 ·
Since I have both... you will get the 535. Seems like most people freak about gas mileage. For me I could care less. It's only money. Drive what gives you the most pleasure. It's simple for us. I like power and my wife...not so much. Both have enough power so if the all mighty dollar is key ingredient here then do what 99.9% does... spend less and feel just great about that smart purchase. :thumbup: Besides the gas mileage I prefer a bigger engine based upon the weight of the vehicle. The acceleration in the 550 is absolutely amazing.

#47 ·
I currently have a 535i xdrive m sport and never even considered the 550 because of the long term ownership issues. I loved the power in my 06 4.4i X5 sport and wanted to keep it forever but after the valve guides wore out at 89000 miles and I was facing a $8000 repair bill I dumped it. Has BMW done anything to eliminate this issue that I know still exist on other BMW v8 models? My local garage sees about four v8 BMW's a month with the same issue I had which really scares me.
I did go for a test drive two days ago in a 550 m sport and it was an absolute kick in the pants. But at the end of the day how often are you going to keep the car floored for more than 6 seconds? It's not the fuel mileage that you'll complain about but the speeding tickets.
I'm sure if I had a 550 instead of a 535 I would be on the 550 side of this discussion.

#51 ·
My experience/test drives and purchase

Hello, new BMW owner here (former infiniti m37x owner) who just went through the test drives of '14 535xi, 535d, and 550xi. For snow I needed awd so xi was a requirement. Impressions were while 535 was fine for around town, on the highway, passing at speed ran out of oomph. 535d was great in town for initial acceleration, but again on hwy at speed passing not so great. 550xi was simply amazing and seemed to offer almost limitless power (well for such a heavy sedan).

Bottom line, bought the '14 550xi since out west with lots of open roads just a more enjoyable road car. So my advice is to gauge your usage and if lot of town driving then any of them would be very nice. For the open road and passing, 550 significantly better.

Now as to handling/cornering etc. I didn't find any of them that significantly different from each other. Yes subtle nuances with nose with 6 vs 8, but compared to my '13 corvette grand sport summer fun car, they all pitch and roll a lot. So I think any of the 3 are fine depending on how you gauge your usage/needs. As for fuel mileage, I get around 18 in suburban town, and 25 on open hwy if the mileage meter is reasonably accurate in the 550xi.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents. And I wish you the best in your choice.

#53 ·
Hello, new BMW owner here (former infiniti m37x owner) who just went through the test drives of '14 535xi, 535d, and 550xi. For snow I needed awd so xi was a requirement. Impressions were while 535 was fine for around town, on the highway, passing at speed ran out of oomph. 535d was great in town for initial acceleration, but again on hwy at speed passing not so great. 550xi was simply amazing and seemed to offer almost limitless power (well for such a heavy sedan).

Bottom line, bought the '14 550xi since out west with lots of open roads just a more enjoyable road car. So my advice is to gauge your usage and if lot of town driving then any of them would be very nice. For the open road and passing, 550 significantly better.

Now as to handling/cornering etc. I didn't find any of them that significantly different from each other. Yes subtle nuances with nose with 6 vs 8, but compared to my '13 corvette grand sport summer fun car, they all pitch and roll a lot. So I think any of the 3 are fine depending on how you gauge your usage/needs. As for fuel mileage, I get around 18 in suburban town, and 25 on open hwy if the mileage meter is reasonably accurate in the 550xi.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents. And I wish you the best in your choice.
Absolutely great advice and great insight. The dealership I'm working with up here has a test track that we can use. I'll most likely test out the 535 & 550 to see the difference in power. I've lived with my GS350 for 2 years (300 hp) and it was adequate and quick. When I had my FX 50, it was absolutely fun. But I didn't see myself punching the gun all of the time, so the lack of opportunity with my city driving may warrant me to go for the overall package that the 535xi presents itself. But then again, I may find myself loving the 550 :dunno:

#54 ·
I owned a 550i with Dinan Stage 2 for the last 3.5 years. It screams. If you want to be thrown back in your seat and like quick throttle tip in, then go for it if gas mileage isn't a concern. I consistently averaged 16.8-17.3 mpg in mixed city and highway driving (about a 60/40 split on most tanks). I always put in 93 octane so that's a cost consideration perhaps.

I just bought a 535d today and only have about 60 miles on it so far. It's not as fast / push you back in the seat as what I had but it's plenty quick and with 413 lb ft of torque you get a lot of that push you back in the seat feel that you don't get with the 535i. I've test-driven the 535 and own a 335 convertible (same engine). It's a fun engine and you won't go wrong with it, but in terms of fun to push it -- the 550 is first, then the 535d, and then the 535i no question. Don't go on HP when comparing the d and the i -- the add'l 113 lb ft of torque in the d matters.

My 2011 550i M-sport did not come with the M-sport suspension (not sure if current models do, but I suspect so). My 535d did and it sits a bit lower and corners a little tighter.

Whatever 5er you choose, I know you will love it. I've owned 14 cars (4 of them BMW along with MB, Acura, Saab, Nissan, others) and there is just no comparison to the driving experience!

#58 ·
How is the noise level when driving? Did you feel the car lacking power at all on the highway? Being that you have the sport suspension, I suspect you have the rwd?

#56 ·
RWD 5 series, especially a 550 is impaired compared to an 550ix. If you get snow, or have any question about snow...get xdrive. RWD 550 will not perform, with the best of snow tires like an AWD xdrive. Simple is that. If you commonly get snow storms of 6-12" snow storms especially in the great lakes, get an xdrive. there's no argument. if someone says they get around just fine....that's bullscheiss. line up at a stop light on a hill next to a RWD BMW and an xDrive, and the xDrive is gone. add snow tires and the car can handle real snow. if you don't get that kind of snow, you probably don't need it. just good snow tires. if you live in a snowy area, even with xDrive i'd recommend getting snow tires. simple as that. 14' of snow last year--yeah, RWD F10 platform drivers can argue against that...no way. They're stuck going up anything uphill spinning along, even with snows. Every car with AWD goes around them.

Any naysayers don't live in real snow conditions, or are just grumps that don't want to admit that AWD is superior.

The 550 is nice. It does have power. It does drink gas. If you can afford the car, you can afford the gas. However having a 535xi F10 previously, it does do well in all driving conditions. You don't need the 550--you will be fine with the 535 for all around driving. If you're looking to play games while driving, the 550 is your car.

#59 ·
I agree. Although I can't get the sports suspension, I will probably tack on the DHP to help. But safety first. Can't do anothe rwd in the winter time.

#57 ·
xDrive - why every one thinks BMW intelligent AWD system is only good for snow? its advantage is obvious on every slippery road surface, that is:
wet conditions, wet leaves, bumpiness, winding roads and so on.

combined with a powerful engine - like the one under the hood of 550i - it certainly gives you dominance and more safety than a non-xDrive car.

picking up mine, hopefully, mid of September. Like to see some pics, gentlemen?:D

#65 ·
I agree 100%. I used to be so anti-xDrive, but now that I have it, it's advantages are obvious. The best part is that the xDrive is that it's actually faster than the non xDrive by .2 seconds in the 0-60.

#63 ·
I've got a 2011 550x. Almost 70,000 miles on it now. I usually get a 535 or 535d loaner when the car is in for scheduled maintenance. Having driven them all enough times now, I would not own any 5 series other than the 550 (I suppose an M5, but I want the xdrive). For me, the 535 is simply underpowered. It has to work way too hard to deliver performance. I'll admit that I have a high bar when it comes to acceleration, but even my wife made the same comment last time she got into one. She appreciates power but isn't a junky like me.

In my opinion, the diesel is still too loud. It's not awful, but my car is way better in terms of noise (and that is comparing a car with 70,000 miles on it to a new 2014 d). I was relieved to get out of it and back in mine. I was a bit surprised by that. I am a bit sensitive to sound - that diesel humming really bugs me. Others might not even notice I suppose.

Lots of discussion about gas mileage. I average about 20 with mix of highway and city. I think my average speed is 40-45 according to the trip computer, so more highway than city. However, you need to run the math on that gas mileage and keep it in perspective
20000 miles per year / 20mpg = 1000 gallons / yr x $4 / gallon = $4000 / yr
20000 miles per year / 30 mpg = 667 gallons x 4 = $2667
so the 535 is cheaper by 1333 / year with those stats. If that swings the decision, then there you go. Just doesn't seem like a lot compared to the price of the car! (I suppose combined with the more expensive base price, that can start to add up!).

#64 ·
Great comparison of gas. Puts it in perspective that 1300-2000 / year extra isn't all that much when buying a bmw and gaining over 400 hp. Sent you a pm for some other questions if you don't mind. :thumbup:

#67 ·
And everyone's perspective is different. Over three years (life of a lease), that right there is a new 55" 4K TV and a trip to Cancun for two at the nicest all-inclusive.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#66 ·
I love the x drive. Best handling vehicle in the snow I've ever had (and between me and my wife we've have at least 5 4 wheel drive vehicles). Being in Michigan, it really is a luxury having such a sporty vehicle that also handles so well in the snow. I've got to believe an x drive with snow tires must be awesome. If I had to do it over, I would have gotten snow tires in addition to the x drive. If keeping the car for a while, not really much of an extra expense since you are spreading miles over two sets rather than burning up one set in half the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.