Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-30-2014, 02:32 PM
mavatuta

Mein Auto: Honda Accord
Creaking plastic interiors

Just bought my used 2011 (f10) from a private seller. It's beautiful with the xdrive and msport package and everything else, but it creaks quite a bit on the interior plastics especially while cornering etc on a normal road with sport mode

It still has factory warranty till August 2015 and CPO after that but just wanted to know your experiences with getting this looked at by dealer..

I checked forums on here but could not find the exact nature

Here are some pics

Mavatuta
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1404163790.100400.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	449010   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1404163834.990533.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	449011  
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2014, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi
Sorry to hear, no cracking on my 2013, but strong steering wheel vibrations during idle on my xdrive. Do you have any of those?

Old 06-30-2014, 02:36 PM
mavatuta

It's not cracking but just creaking like irritating creaking noises... Cheap plastic.

Yes I do feel the vibration a bit but not bad... The steering a definitely heavier.

Mavatuta
Old 06-30-2014, 02:37 PM
mavatuta

Correction- no vibrations in idle

Mavatuta
Old 06-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Unless you can make the BMW tech hear the creak, they will not fix it. I have some creaks in my car too and I have complained several times but they can't seem to replicate it at the dealership.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.

Last edited by jagu; 06-30-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: replaced duplicate with replicate
Old 06-30-2014, 04:01 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
There's no "cheap plastic" to be seen in the F10. My '11, sold with 33K miles, had no squeaks or rattles. My '14 is silent. Take it in -- if it is so easy to hear, they should be able to verify and correct.

And to the other poster, heavy steering wheel vibration at idle? Something is definitely wrong, take it in for warranty repair.

I'm never sure why all the forum members ask for advice, when their cars are under warranty. Most of our cars are not exhibiting the majority of complaints. Only the dealer can assess the issue, tell you what it is, and fix it. If it's out of warranty, that's another story altogether.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 06-30-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:44 PM
mavatuta

Mark

I think the forums cover broad topics from RFTs to turbo issues. However none cover my specific topic. So we need advice.

If none exists, so be it. But this is a key reason I joined bimmerfest, to seek out nuggets of knowledge from fellow owners.

Warranty for squeaks is exactly the way jagu mentions; you cannot replicate the failure you're screwed.

Thanks Jagu.

Mavatuta
Old 06-30-2014, 05:47 PM
mavatuta

And cheap plastic is generally heard, not seen. Major complaint or not, it is a gripe.

Mavatuta
Old 07-01-2014, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 13 528xi; 12 VW Phaeton
I too bad a rattle that comes on randomly which I just can't replicate while I'm at the dealer no matter what I do. Some things you just have to live with, try focus on the good stuff.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:54 PM
mavatuta

Well said... As far as the good stuff it's great... Switched from a honda accord v6 to a bmw so...

Mavatuta
Old 07-01-2014, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 02 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
There's no "cheap plastic" to be seen in the F10.
Oh yes there is - try the plastic around the seat switches for a start.

Quote:
I'm never sure why all the forum members ask for advice, when their cars are under warranty.
Over here once the car is out of it's 3 year factory warranted this sort of thing isnt covered - even if you have CPO warranty.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:28 AM
mavatuta

Went to the dealer and they:
1. Acknowledged the seat plastic creaks
2. Fixed the noise by using some type of dry lubricant.

Mavatuta
Old 08-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I hear lots of different "creaks" and "taps" in my 2014 F10 while driving, and quite frankly, it's utterly annoying and is making me hate this car at <2k miles.

My 2011 F10 was much quieter. I kinda want it back! I feel like my 2014 came off the line on the first day back from Oktoberfest (although I know it didn't).

My 2008 E60 did its fair share of creaking.

Window switches, power seat switches, and even some of the plastic on the steering wheel can have a cheap look to it.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 08-29-2014, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
My car has similar creaking issue when new. I brought it to the dealer and the foreman applied some sort of silicone (he told me that it was an expensive silicone that is made in Germany)to the window seals and the creaking was instantly gone. It's been creak free ever since.

Current: 2012 535i x-Drive, Alpine White/ Black, Auto, M-Sport, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, Satellite Radio.
Retired: 2006 530xi, Black Sapphire/ Auburn, Steptronic, Premium Package, Premium Sound, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Navigation, PDC, Shades, 18" wheels
Old 08-29-2014, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
There is a creaking on the drivers side of my 2014 535d. However, it comes and goes and I can't pinpoint the source exactly. We'll see if I can replicate it for the dealer. Also have an e39 and it is rock solid, no creaking at all. It has many other annoying problems though.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:53 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigK View Post
I too bad a rattle that comes on randomly which I just can't replicate while I'm at the dealer no matter what I do.
Highly probable the rattle is coming from the seatbelt from your passenger seat. If passengers don't allow it to retract properly, it rattles against the B pillar. Just reach over, move it, and the problem is solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptaingus View Post
My car has similar creaking issue when new. I brought it to the dealer and the foreman applied some sort of silicone (he told me that it was an expensive silicone that is made in Germany)to the window seals and the creaking was instantly gone. It's been creak free ever since.
You are describing a product called Gummi Pfledge which has been used to correct creaking window seals "forever". The problem was endemic on the E39 and E60. Yours is the first F10 I've heard of with the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
Also have an e39 and it is rock solid, no creaking at all. It has many other annoying problems though.
Consider yourself a very lucky anomaly. The E39 window seals creaked constantly, and the seat mounting was so notoriously bad that BMW had a campaign to repair the creaking seats with a Rube Goldberg. McGyver'ed solution. Didn't work for long for many of us, including myself. The E39 was a nice ride, but the myriad problems (creaks, burned out pixels, crap plastic water pumps, leaking head gaskets) ruined that car for most of us. And the poor guys with the sport wagons had it even worse, with the sunroof drains.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 08-29-2014, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Oh yes there is - try the plastic around the seat switches for a start.

Over here once the car is out of it's 3 year factory warranted this sort of thing isnt covered - even if you have CPO warranty.

I also have the creaks heard especially coming down from a garage or on broken pavement. It's the cheap plastic around the seat where power switches are. Dealer foreman could not replicate it. I also have an annoying rattle coming from the right sunshade although replaced it on CPO warranty, the noise is still there, again dealer could not replicate it.
OP thanks for opening this topic because I feel it's a real problem in my 2011 535 xDrive. As far as the good stuff, plenty of course as with every 5'er that puts a smile on my face every time I drive it despite these nuisances.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:34 AM

Mein Auto: A Car
Since everyone is talking about interior rattling, creaking and cracking noises ill join the thread.
Out of all the cars my E39 was the most solid. That thing was seriously neglected and trust me when i say neglected i really mean it (Going over speed bumps quite fast, driving over pot holes not on purpose but constantly by mistake, never changed the springs since bought new, only changed the shocks once in it's 4th year and much more) and it never ever made absolutely any creaking, rattling or cracking noises.
The previous E60 had a couple rattling noises coming from the driver side vents and that was pretty much all but my current E60 also has the same driver side vent rattling problem, dash creaking when going on bumps or rough surfaces . . .
The A6 C7 is pretty solid (There is a slight creaking noise when going over rough surfaces like small dot speed bumps) but its smooth as silk on all other surfaces.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
The creaking is likely the doors seals and can be easily fixed.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 08-31-2014, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
My '13 535xDrive is squeak and rattle free. But, having had an annoying rattle on one of my BMWs a while back they can be difficult to track down. One place to look is definitely the passenger seat belt. I remember asking someone to help me track down the noise but it went away when he sat in the car! Of course, he buckled in! :-( ... that said inspect your cubbies and door pockets - in the ash tray and under the seats. You'd be surprised what can be found ($$$$'s)! And the leather/plastic of your seats can rub together too. Use a quality product to clean and protect them and while you're at it get the product rubbed in where the seats join together.

As for the new seals on the doors - I don't think BMW recommends silicone or anything else on the 'flocked' materials - they should be cleaned with a stiff brush to fluff them up. I use gummipfledge (sp?) on rubber parts.

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates
Old 08-31-2014, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I second the Gummi Pfledge. Wasn't sure where my intermittent squeak was coming from, so used it on doors and sunroof seals and it went away.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Highly probable the rattle is coming from the seatbelt from your passenger seat. If passengers don't allow it to retract properly, it rattles against the B pillar. Just reach over, move it, and the problem is solved.

You are describing a product called Gummi Pfledge which has been used to correct creaking window seals "forever". The problem was endemic on the E39 and E60. Yours is the first F10 I've heard of with the problem.
Yes, had my 528iX for a few days now and went on a "squeak hunt" on it today. And that passenger seat belt buckle was one of them. Another one I found was the center rear headrest in the down position, was making a rattle against the top of the seat, slid some cushioning material under it to stop that. The third noise was my fault, I had pulled out the cigarette lighter and just left it in the cupholder and it was rattling there, so I moved that away. Everything seems rattle free right now.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Many times the area between the leather and the plastic around the seat is a source of creaking noises. They usually have felt kits that can solve that problem.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post

Consider yourself a very lucky anomaly. The E39 window seals creaked constantly, and the seat mounting was so notoriously bad that BMW had a campaign to repair the creaking seats with a Rube Goldberg. McGyver'ed solution. Didn't work for long for many of us, including myself. The E39 was a nice ride, but the myriad problems (creaks, burned out pixels, crap plastic water pumps, leaking head gaskets) ruined that car for most of us. And the poor guys with the sport wagons had it even worse, with the sunroof drains.
That was one thing I hated about the E39 - gummi plfledging the doors seals every month. That and the constant cooling issues.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
check your door seals

your rubber door seals may have come in contact with wax which will make them creak. clean the door seals and jams , see if that makes it go away..
2011 550i : Alpine White l Black Dakota l Anthracite wood:M Sport pkg l Sport Trans l Active steering l Conven pkg l Driver asst pkg l Prem pkg 2 l 4 zone AC l Side/Top view cameras l HUD w/6wa ext blk pnl l BMW Media adptr /apps l M Decklid Spoiler l Clear Bra l V1 Radar; Ordered 4/9/11, Delivered 5/21/11

Retired BMW's;
-2008 550i MSport: deep Sea Blue/ Black, Loaded
-2005 545i : Silver Gray/ Auburn, Loaded
-1993 3215iA : Jet Black/ Black, Loaded[/FONT]