Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
My ride will be 535d had BMWFS offered better incentive last year.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:31 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedog View Post
Update - I have not made the purchase yet. Got a very attractive offer for a 3 year/12k per year lease for $19,600 up front payment out the door. This includes everything. My only cost to own the car is the $19,600. MSRP of $66k. Reasons for not buying yet are lack of HK system (I think the base stereo is very poor) and more importantly my concerns about seat comfort with the Multi Contour seats. I started another thread on this http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=793799. It seems like it must just be me but when I extend the front thigh support extender, it leaves a "gap" in the seat and the rear part of the seat that did not extend now has a ridge where the "gap" starts and digs into my thighs. I do ride with the front of the seat raised up and the rear lowered which probably makes it worse. My current LS460 has the whole bottom seat move forward about 6 inches (independent of the back of the seat) which provides great support and comfort which has spoiled me for several years. So I am not sure what to do at this point.
There should be a piece of leather forming a gusset on the top of the gap so that craps won't full in, yet there is still a gap. It doesn't affect the comfort level.

So it sounds like you are currently concerned about the aesthetic. I have a good Hi-Fi system at home and I found HK system is not worthwhile. Sat Radio is heavily compressed thus the fidelity is very distorted. If the source is bad, the outcome is still bad.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 09-02-2014, 07:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to V_Rod_Muscle
Mein Auto:
Only one thing sucks though, single sided exhaust tips, makes u feel driving a 528 when u see from the back

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-02-2014, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535xd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback7 View Post
Absolutely no complaints or issues with our 2014 535d with ~13K miles. The fuel estimates on the sticker are slightly conservative. We see 43 mpg on windy 55 mph roads.

Recently took a trip from Arkansas to Jackson WY. Great highway cruiser and very comfortable even with four of us. Drove about 90 mph on the Wyoming interstates (80 mph speed limit) and still saw 40 mpg.

We have had no problems with the 19" wheels and the RFT tires, but many have. That would be the main thing I would research and know the potential of a tire replacement or the need for wheel/tire insurance.

In my opinion you can't go wrong. It's our first BMW. I can't speak about the gas inline 6. Everyone says it's fantastic too.

Wow that is impressive fuel economy. I've never seen anything close to that. We drove the car from Colorado Springs to Kansas City and on the way there barely broke 30 MPG when we were going 85 mph. I actually don't think I have every seen much over 40 MPG. Maybe there is something wrong with my car.

2014 535xd M-Sport | Carbon Black | Ivory Nappa | Prem Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Ass Pkg | HK Sound | Multi-contour Seats | Sports Transmission |

2014 328xd Wagon M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Black Dakota | Prem Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Ass Pkg | Driver Ass Plus Pkg | HK Sound | Dynamic Handling Pkg | Tech Pkg | Anti-Theft Alarm |
Old 09-02-2014, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by taint fair View Post
Wow that is impressive fuel economy. I've never seen anything close to that. We drove the car from Colorado Springs to Kansas City and on the way there barely broke 30 MPG when we were going 85 mph. I actually don't think I have every seen much over 40 MPG. Maybe there is something wrong with my car.
I suspect that the reason is that your car is AWD and Razorback7 drives a RWD car. AWD is a 10% to 20% hit in fuel economy due to higher driveline losses and more weight. Not sure how the EPA sticker on AWD is 26/37 and the RWD is 26/38, that just doesn't make sense.

Last edited by clem151; 09-02-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535d
We do have a RWD. I really don't make any effort to increase my fuel mileage. You can see my Fuelly in my signature. We get 31-32 around town and 40+ on the highway. I would be surprised if the AWD creates that much of a fuel economy hit. I know it isn't on my pickup and my former SUVs. Maybe 2 MPG at the most.

Now I don't drag race from light to light but I do enjoy a spirited on ramp or trip through the mountains.

Cold Weather, DAP, LED Lights, Premium Package, Shades, MC Seats, HK Sound

Old 09-09-2014, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Bought my 535d on 8/30 and have driven 440 miles so far, averaging 29.6mpg and still on the first tank. Car is fun to drive too.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: 427
Hmm, I think I want one. The decision b/w 535d and 550i is a hard one. Currently driving a 427 w/ 505 hp. I'm afraid I will miss all that power. Too bad the family can't ride in the trunk of the vette.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535xd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback7 View Post
We do have a RWD. I really don't make any effort to increase my fuel mileage. You can see my Fuelly in my signature. We get 31-32 around town and 40+ on the highway. I would be surprised if the AWD creates that much of a fuel economy hit. I know it isn't on my pickup and my former SUVs. Maybe 2 MPG at the most.

Now I don't drag race from light to light but I do enjoy a spirited on ramp or trip through the mountains.

I may have a little bit of a lead foot! Maybe it's me that needs to be checked out and not the car.

2014 535xd M-Sport | Carbon Black | Ivory Nappa | Prem Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Ass Pkg | HK Sound | Multi-contour Seats | Sports Transmission |

2014 328xd Wagon M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Black Dakota | Prem Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Ass Pkg | Driver Ass Plus Pkg | HK Sound | Dynamic Handling Pkg | Tech Pkg | Anti-Theft Alarm |
Old 09-11-2014, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
Hmm, I think I want one. The decision b/w 535d and 550i is a hard one. Currently driving a 427 w/ 505 hp. I'm afraid I will miss all that power. Too bad the family can't ride in the trunk of the vette.
Yes, it was a tough one.

If you have to have that feeling of limitless power and can live with the more frequent trips to the pump, then i say the 550 is a no brainer.

On the other side...If you want decent power, better gas mileage and can live with the "dreaded" one sided exhaust (hehe) then the 535d is a great car as well.

I chose the 535d. I do most of my driving where red lights always get in the way. I wanted the extra mileage because I am too lazy to go to the pump. I have to be honest though, the 550 is more fun to drive because of all that power at your disposal. This is not to say that the 535d is not. It too, is a blast. Also, IMO, some of the options are a must to make the car truly amazing. The heads up display is a must for functionality, the hk sound for entertainment and the lighting and m sport package for a more aggressive look.

Both are great cars to drive, without a doubt.