Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-01-2014, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i X-Drive
Quick update ---( see my original post on 4-11-2014). No issues at all with the Michelin Pilot Sports. I've got the slime kit in the boot. FYI I was in big "Box retailer you know the name" yesterday. I was in the auto section for the wife's car. I noticed they had every slime kit you could envision. Looking back, I would not get an F10 with the RFT's ~ $400 each versus ~ $1K for a set of Michelins. Pressure the dealer put these on before purchase. Unfortunately many of us purchased the car without considering this issue- and the dealer certainly did not bring this item up
Old 08-11-2014, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535 x-drive
Just switch out my run flat tires to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. I have to wonder, given how much better the car rides, if BMW could have gone with more aggressive suspension tuning with a softer tire. I think there were compromises made to accommodate the OEM junk that came standard.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i xDrive
Yes, it is very sad that BMW doesn't do anything about it. But, since I did buy the warrantee, BMW is suffering the cost part and I am just wasting my valuable time . I am on tire number 16 and counting! As soon as warrantee runs out it will be Non-RFT!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 E92 (Nov ED)
I've blown 3 of these garbage tires, next time, I'm getting a new set of non-RFT tires.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
I lost two front tires in the first 1,500 miles of ownership and as posted earlier in this thread went for the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3's, non-runflat and up a size to the 45 aspect ratio. I have now done about 11k miles on them. My first impression was how much the ride was improved. My second was how good the tires are in the wet and light snow. My third impression was how good they are in the dry. I can wholeheartedly recommend my tire choice, but above all, the ride improvement by going up to 45's. The car still looks great and rides like a dream. This is the third car I have switched to non-RFT and that followed two M cars with non-RFT tires and BMW branded fix-a-flat in the trunk. I have had one flat in 12 years and closing 200,000 miles and that was caused by a valve failure that fix-a-flat can't fix! However, I only carry the fix-a-flat for emergencies, as the road hazard warranty is voided by using it, so only if I was too remote to be towed to somewhere that could fix/replace the tire would I use it.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:53 AM

Unhappy Continuing Saga

My last post said I was at 16 RFT replacements. Add two more to 18 RFTs in a 535ixDrive with 47K miles! The scary thing was that I got these done at another dealer since I was near that dealership and they told me I've got a long way to go to break the record. The Sales Manager told me he has had customers with over 32 tire replacements!

If this is not a chronicle problem, please help me with the definition!!!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Well, 1,900 miles and my first bubble appeared. Wheel is fine.

On my 2011, Goodyear replaced these pieces of garbage with Dunlop summer RFTs (I don't recall the exact model) and I didn't have any problems for the rest of my lease.

I still, in fact, have that wheel set in my garage.

I'm thinking I'll take this car to Goodyear and see if I can get them to replace with winter runflats.

More than anything, this is absolutely ridiculous of BMW to not acknowledge the issue. They engineer a great car, but there's a lot of areas where BMW fails miserably as a company with any semblance on integrity. (This, and the "all 10s on the survey" really make my blood boil.)

I'll report back on what GY has to say. Or if you read about somebody lighting their office on fire, you can assume they were less than cooperative.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 AM

Good luck with that. As I understand it, there used to be road hazard coverage by Goodyear which was in place for your 2011, but it was quietly discontinued shortly after that.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: m3
Just got a 2014 528ix (17"), how are the Continental ContiProContact SSRs on this car? I declined the dealer wheel and tire insurance - can you purchase road hazard insurance aftermarket, has anyone done that?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:24 PM

I has Conti RFT's 17" 225's on my 335d and never had a problem. I switched out to non-RFT's at the end of their natural life to IMHO better tires, but they were fine.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix; 2015 X5 35ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyca View Post
Just got a 2014 528ix (17"), how are the Continental ContiProContact SSRs on this car? I declined the dealer wheel and tire insurance - can you purchase road hazard insurance aftermarket, has anyone done that?
You should have no problems with the 17" or for that matter the 18" tires. It's the 19" that are the problem. After market insurance is available,
Old 08-28-2014, 06:10 AM

It's not even that 19"s are a problem, it's just those Goodyears!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyca View Post
Yes, you definitely can get insurance aftermarket, someone mentioned I think CNA. The only way you can get tire insurance on an older BMW (so I've been told) is aftermarket.

My car is supposed to be delivered on Thursday and I'm definitely getting BMW insurance, I just don't want to get hosed by my dealer. Has anyone bought a BMW policy from their dealer recently and, if so, then can you tell me what you paid (for either 3-year or 4-year or both)?

Does anyone have an idea which dealer has the best price?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:06 AM

IMHO, tire and rim insurance is snake oil. If you get the god awful GY's, take half the cost of the policy and replace the tires with something decent. BMW wanted $2k plus for the coverage and I was offered it, just like I was for every car I've bought new. Since 2000 alone that would be 8 cars and that would be $16k or there abouts in that time. I have only had need of it once and I solved the problem for $1k. BMW should recall the GY's and stop using them, period, not have us drop an extra $2k to protect from a flawed tire.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobynj View Post
IMHO, tire and rim insurance is snake oil. If you get the god awful GY's, take half the cost of the policy and replace the tires with something decent. BMW wanted $2k plus for the coverage and I was offered it, just like I was for every car I've bought new. Since 2000 alone that would be 8 cars and that would be $16k or there abouts in that time. I have only had need of it once and I solved the problem for $1k. BMW should recall the GY's and stop using them, period, not have us drop an extra $2k to protect from a flawed tire.

Well I certainly appreciate your POV but respectfully disagree.

If the replacement tires were runflats then I could see your point, but they're not. As far as I know the only RFs are the Goodyears, so if I want that type of tire I'm stuck. And, as I'm sure you'll agree, anecdotal evidence is no argument for or against the propriety of insurance. If it were, then people would claim life insurance is a ripoff because not everyone dies during the term of the policy.

For example, the three year policy I took out when I bought my F10 more than paid for itself, paying for the replacement of 10 tires and two rims. So our experiences differ sharply and I can't afford to risk being without that insurance.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 550i xDrive M Sport
lucky you to have the possibility to purchase the road hazard insurance. For instance, in Switzerland, you have this warranty covered under the overall BMW Mobile Care package which comes with the car and lasts for 5 years starting with the initial registration date of the vehicle.

The BMW Mobile Care covers for example: towing service, hotel overnight stay, continuation of journey by train or airplane and providing assitance with blow-outs. (etc.)

However, it says in case of blow-outs, to get the full (continuing) services of the warranty package you must drive on RFTs (!!!) - if a replacement (of 1 or more tires) can not be organized within 4 hours.

As I am planning to purchase 20 inch wheels for the summer and use non-RFT tires, my question is how good is the BMWs "fix-a-flat"-kit ? Did someone have to use it already and what are the experience?

I never had a blow-out but we have to admit, with a RFT, in case of a blow-out, you can easily drive 60 miles on them before you get to your dealer's garage or a workshop to fix it. It's just more of a phsychological advantage I'd say.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 AM

I believe there is now another RFT option, but I didn't go that way , so I'm not sure what it is. My auto policy will cover the rims - granted with a larger deductible. The replacement tires come with road hazard coverage in the price.

Insurance is an economic decision, yes, if you want to stay with the GY's it's not an option though I don't believe F10 buyers should have to pony up a few more thousand to protect against a flawed tire design.

In any other situation where the tires can be relied on to perform properly, tire and wheel insurance is overpriced for the actual coverage... The cost to cover the entire car is half the price per year of the tire and wheel insurance and it covers wheels too! It's your decision to make and provides peace of mind certainly, but the math save for the awful GY's doesn't justify the price.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 AM

Stockahead.

I've had two M cars that came with fix a flat only and have had 3 other BMW's I've replaced RFT's with non-RFT's and have only tried the fixaflat once when a valve failed... It didn't work for that!

Old 09-02-2014, 09:53 AM

Hi gt
thanks for your comment. Understand that in your case the fix-a-flat didn't work.
By the way, do you have the part number of it?

anyone else who made the use of the fix-a-flat ?

thx
stockahead
Old 09-02-2014, 11:35 AM

I don't know the part number, but it was called the BMW M Mobility kit. I think Continental also do a similar kit. For me, I carry two cans of ordinary $10 fix a flat and a pump bought cheaply at a local auto parts store - it seems to be fundamentally the same stuff and I have used fix-a-flat successfully in the past, just never needed it on my BMW's except for the valve failure which was too big a hole for fix-a-flat to fix.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobynj View Post
I don't know the part number, but it was called the BMW M Mobility kit. I think Continental also do a similar kit. For me, I carry two cans of ordinary $10 fix a flat and a pump bought cheaply at a local auto parts store - it seems to be fundamentally the same stuff and I have used fix-a-flat successfully in the past, just never needed it on my BMW's except for the valve failure which was too big a hole for fix-a-flat to fix.
exactly! "Mobility Kit" that's the name. thanks for this.
I can recall that for instance Alpina mentions this kit for its products (wheels w/ non-RFT) as well..

BTW, Alpina offers also wheels with RFT tires! did you know that? I thought they were committed to Michelin's non-RFT solely.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:39 AM

Well, I filed a claim with GY and then went to my closest JustTires. They needed 2 hours just to inspect and tell GY their assessment; I didn't have the time for that so had to leave.

He looked at the bubble quickly and said, "it looks like you hit something so I doubt they'll cover it, but we'll know more when we take the tire off."

Ok, yes, I drive on roads...not cotton.

Anyway, I think I'm going to visit a different store. The guy I worked with on my 2011 was way cooler about it and I think that has a huge impact on success (or lack thereof).

This is not, however, going to rest w/o a nasty letter to BMW. While the money is part of it, what really annoys me is I have a car w/ 2,300 miles on it and need to endure the headache of getting the tires perfected as a result of their incompetence. I'd be happier with Jeep right now.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
(Good riddance!)
Old 09-09-2014, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix; 2015 X5 35ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
Well, I filed a claim with GY and then went to my closest JustTires. They needed 2 hours just to inspect and tell GY their assessment; I didn't have the time for that so had to leave.

He looked at the bubble quickly and said, "it looks like you hit something so I doubt they'll cover it, but we'll know more when we take the tire off."

Ok, yes, I drive on roads...not cotton.

Anyway, I think I'm going to visit a different store. The guy I worked with on my 2011 was way cooler about it and I think that has a huge impact on success (or lack thereof).

This is not, however, going to rest w/o a nasty letter to BMW. While the money is part of it, what really annoys me is I have a car w/ 2,300 miles on it and need to endure the headache of getting the tires perfected as a result of their incompetence. I'd be happier with Jeep right now.
Are you saying that you did not have any tire problems in your three years of ownership of a 2011 F10 sport that should have had the same tires? If you were trouble free, you certainly lucked out.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:47 PM

Good Luck on a letter to BMW or to Goodyear. I've corresponded with them multiple times and even pointed them to this thread - nothing. BMW's last and final offer was to switch my rims/tires to 18 inch runflats but I would have to pay for the rims. Why should I pay for their defects? Goodyear just said they stand behind their tires and warranty them. They said it is a function of using high performance tires - again what a bunch of crap - why not just say these tires were not made for driving on real roads.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
Are you saying that you did not have any tire problems in your three years of ownership of a 2011 F10 sport that should have had the same tires? If you were trouble free, you certainly lucked out.
Nooooooo. At 3200 miles on my 2011, I took of the GY POS Eagle LS2s and threw on Dunlop Sport Maxxs and lived happily ever after.

What a waste of natural resources the GY Eagle LS2s are...and shame on BMW for equipping a vehicle that cannot safely operate in the environments in which they're sold.

(Good riddance!)