Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
NAV Retrofit update & questions...

First of all...Waz Up?????? Glad to see the gang here! Even MDthe old guy's here!! LOL!!!

Okay my nAV retrofit's going good so far except for a couple of issues...

(1) When I plug in my MKIV, I can not play any CD's. I get a screetching sound, and it says NO DISCS. Works fine with the old harness, MID display and without the MKIV connected!

(2) I have a straight white line through my display! Defective screen??? it's brand new!

(3) I do not get the BMW logo when opening the door. However I have not connected the wire to the reverse light module or the DAHFL connection behind the cluster yet. What is it for anyway?

Any help is appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2004, 04:40 PM
Member of the ® club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by King
First of all...Waz Up?????? Glad to see the gang here! Even MDthe old guy's here!! LOL!!!

Okay my nAV retrofit's going good so far except for a couple of issues...

(1) When I plug in my MKIV, I can not play any CD's. I get a screetching sound, and it says NO DISCS. Works fine with the old harness, MID display and without the MKIV connected!

(2) I have a straight white line through my display! Defective screen??? it's brand new!

(3) I do not get the BMW logo when opening the door. However I have not connected the wire to the reverse light module or the DAHFL connection behind the cluster yet. What is it for anyway?

Any help is appreciated!
Hey Arvi, glad you found us over here at the 'fest Here's my thoughts on your questions:
(1) Does the radio and cassette work properly if the CD changer is disconnected? I seem to recall that you have DSP. If so, you do not want to have both the cable to the DSP and the cable to the radio module connected. You'll likely only want the cable to the DSP amp connected. Here's the diagram and pins for the radio module. Unplug the white connector. http://x5world.net/radio%20module%20...amp%20info.htm

(2) Before jumping to the conclusion the screen is defective, get all the other quirks worked out. Once everything is functioning properly, if you still have that situation then you may just have a defective unit. Is there someone near you that you can swap units with to prove/disprove this?

(3) ??
Good Luck!!

Jeff
Old 09-30-2004, 04:43 PM
Hare Herald

Mein Auto: ²°°4 X5 4•4
Hey King. Welcome to the dark side

I don't have any tips on your NAV retrofit as mine came std.

No CD either, I have Sirius and a MuVo 4 GB.

Did you hook up the microphone yet? Notice any difference in voice quality?

BTW, Canada is an awful big "Location"--almost as big as Texas I grew up in Toronto so I know Ontario is bigger than Texas (and Québec is bigger than Alaska).
Old 09-30-2004, 07:14 PM

When Crevier shipped all the parts, they actually forgot to include the mic in the box even though I paid for it! So I have to wait another week before I get it. Will keep you posted...
Old 09-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Hare Herald

Mein Auto: ²°°4 X5 4•4
Okay, thanks. It's no big rush for me--I only need it for long trips really and have none planned for a while. The X5 has been to Dallas twice, Tucson once, Palm Springs once and San Antonio/Austin once, accounting for over 6k miles of the 8k miles total after 11 months! I have no commute to work and my golf club is 1/2 a mile away by road.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:37 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCrewX5
Hey Arvi, glad you found us over here at the 'fest Here's my thoughts on your questions:
(1) Does the radio and cassette work properly if the CD changer is disconnected? I seem to recall that you have DSP. If so, you do not want to have both the cable to the DSP and the cable to the radio module connected. You'll likely only want the cable to the DSP amp connected. Here's the diagram and pins for the radio module. Unplug the white connector. http://x5world.net/radio%20module%20...amp%20info.htm

(2) Before jumping to the conclusion the screen is defective, get all the other quirks worked out. Once everything is functioning properly, if you still have that situation then you may just have a defective unit. Is there someone near you that you can swap units with to prove/disprove this?

(3) ??
Good Luck!!

Jeff

Jeff,
I'm not sure I follow you on (1) above. Which cable are you refering to? Yes my cassette and radio work fine...it's just the CD changer acting up. Also I noticed this morning that the screen sometimes stays on with a blank but blue display and the X almost didn't start this morning. I do not even get the accept screen at all???
Old 10-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Member of the ® club

Arvi,

The cable I'm referring to is the cable from the CD Changer. If I'm not mistaken, with DSP there is a cable the goes directly to the DSP amp. If so, you do not also want to have the the white connector plugged into the radio module. Otherwise, you will have two CD input sources driving your system and could cause the screeching sound you mentioned.

Alternately, look at http://www.circlebmw.com/service/access/x5cd.htm and look at item 6, which says For vehicles without DSP HiFi connect the 6 pin audio cable to changer. For vehicles with DSP HiFi connect the single coax digital audio cable to the changer (for DSP the 6 pin audio cable need not be connected). This should do the same thing as not connecting the white connector to the radio module.

Hope this helps....

Jeff
Old 10-01-2004, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: '03 4.6iS
Smile

Quote:
Arvi,

The cable I'm referring to is the cable from the CD Changer. If I'm not mistaken, with DSP there is a cable the goes directly to the DSP amp. If so, you do not also want to have the the white connector plugged into the radio module. Otherwise, you will have two CD input sources driving your system and could cause the screeching sound you mentioned.

Alternately, look at http://www.circlebmw.com/service/access/x5cd.htm and look at item 6, which says For vehicles without DSP HiFi connect the 6 pin audio cable to changer. For vehicles with DSP HiFi connect the single coax digital audio cable to the changer (for DSP the 6 pin audio cable need not be connected). This should do the same thing as not connecting the white connector to the radio module.

Hope this helps....

Jeff
Actually, if you have MY03 or later, you no longer need the digital coaxial cable. BMW stopped using this cable and only uses the 3-pin and 6-pin wires for changer. This is regardless of whether you have DSP or not.

If your X5 is MY02 or earlier, and if you have DSP, you'll need the digital coaxial cable.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Member of the ® club

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyX5
Actually, if you have MY03 or later, you no longer need the digital coaxial cable. BMW stopped using this cable and only uses the 3-pin and 6-pin wires for changer. This is regardless of whether you have DSP or not.

If your X5 is MY02 or earlier, and if you have DSP, you'll need the digital coaxial cable.
I believe Arvi's is a 2002.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyX5

Jeff,
I now have all my connections completed. Just have to install the GPS antenna and put together everythiing in the trunk.

My changer has the digital coax cable connected and the 3 pin cable coonnected. My vehicle doesn't even have a 6 pin cable anywhere. Still getting screetching sound when mode is changed to CD. Tried different combinations (with & without digital cable, with & without white connector on radio module) without any luck! Cassette and radio work fine.

Strange but I do not get the accept screen at all nor do I get the BMW logo when opening the door! Still have a white line accross the screen though! New radio module & MKIV from Martin.

What the heck??? I'm out of ideas! Even tried reloading V23 software and let car sit for an hour.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Member of the ® club

Quote:
Jeff,
I now have all my connections completed. Just have to install the GPS antenna and put together everythiing in the trunk.

My changer has the digital coax cable connected and the 3 pin cable coonnected. My vehicle doesn't even have a 6 pin cable anywhere. Still getting screetching sound when mode is changed to CD. Tried different combinations (with & without digital cable, with & without white connector on radio module) without any luck! Cassette and radio work fine.

Strange but I do not get the accept screen at all nor do I get the BMW logo when opening the door! Still have a white line accross the screen though! New radio module & MKIV from Martin.

What the heck??? I'm out of ideas! Even tried reloading V23 software and let car sit for an hour.
Hey Arvi,

Is the nav system operational? In other words, can you drive around and the system will guide you to a destination?

The accept screen doesn't surprise me, as it seems that only the nav systems that get coded to the vehicle have this. My new MkIV experienced the same thing. I'm at a loss on the (1) CD screech, (2) line through the screen (you may want to see about exchanging this), and (3) no splash screen on wake-up (this is triggered by the i-bus). Has Martin given you any suggestions? You may also want to see if Puma experienced any of these issues.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Jeff
Old 10-02-2004, 06:51 PM

Question

Quote:
Hey Arvi,

Is the nav system operational? In other words, can you drive around and the system will guide you to a destination?

The accept screen doesn't surprise me, as it seems that only the nav systems that get coded to the vehicle have this. My new MkIV experienced the same thing. I'm at a loss on the (1) CD screech, (2) line through the screen (you may want to see about exchanging this), and (3) no splash screen on wake-up (this is triggered by the i-bus). Has Martin given you any suggestions? You may also want to see if Puma experienced any of these issues.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Jeff
I emailed Puma, haven't heard back yet. Martin suggests it is the wiring, but I think it's possibly the MKIV unit. I will try to get my hands on another one to try out on Monday.

Would getting the vehicle coded help in any way??
Old 10-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Member of the ® club

Quote:
Would getting the vehicle coded help in any way??
I don't know if that would make a difference or not. Puma should be able to address that.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Member of the ® club

Arvi - I sent you a PM on downloading v24.

Jeff
Old 10-03-2004, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Arvi - I sent you a PM on downloading v24.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, but I think I will do the upgrade to V24 once I have all the quirks worked out. Today my X would not even start. I have posted on a couple of boards to see if anyone has ran into this. Something is drawing power continuously. I noticed my CD changer doesn't work and I have the line accross the screen even wiithout the MKIV plugged in. Where can i find wiring diagrams on the blue & white plugs behind the screen?

Thanks,

Arvi