Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-03-2004, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
What's in my driveway....

I feel like KX5 when he used to write about the cars in his neighborhood. This is a bit different...

Due to several different reasons, I have 5 different vehicles this week. Below is a brief summary of each...

'01 X5 4.4 - everyone knows this truck - not going to say anything that you guys don't already know. It still impresses me every day.

'98 Nissan Max SE. This is now going to be my winter car/beater. I will spend most of December - @April in it this year. It's not too bad. 3 ltr V6 is very smooth - decent power over 3k rpm. But handling isn't too good. Maybe it's the choice in tires (Michelin X something or other). Very good in bad weather - but interesting that my X5 handles better in dry and wet (just not snow). All electronics work great - car is in great shape - 65k miles - White on Tan.

'04 Acura MDX. Recently bought this for my wife. I know, I know - it's different than the X5 - not as sporting. But let me tell you - this truck is screwed together very well. It's far more Luxury than Sport - but handles and accelerates fairly well. It is very quiet - rides faily well - voice activated NAV is great - decent stereo w/6 disc changer in dash - comfy seats - seats 7 - far larger cargo area (with 3rd row folded flat), etc, etc, etc. Black on Saddle and she absolutely loves it.

Daughter's '98 Saturn SL2. It is what it is. Economy car - gets her economically to/from school. Not much more I can say...

Friends '04 Expedition. Just took a friend to the airport in his Expedition - now I have it for about 10 days. He told me to please use it as much as possible - he only uses it for family outings, etc. It's an Eddie Bauer, big a$$ truck. Jesus - driving down 95 at 70+ mph - make a lane change and HELLO! Rolls this way than that. Holy crap - how do so many people drive these things on a daily basis? I felt like I had to STOP before taking the exit ramp - LOL! Maybe I just wasn't used to it - but wow. And the MOST frustrating thing - what the heck was Ford thinking - when you try to get out of the truck, you pull the door handle and nothing happens. I first thought: Oh, this is like my X5 - you have to pull it twice when it's locked. No - I pulled it a second time, then third, then fourth - and it's NOT locked - aaahhhhh - let me outta this thing! Turns out after you pull the handle you then have to push the door. Realize than when you pull the handle NOTHING happens - I mean NOTHING - you have no idea that it 'released' you. Wierd at best. I remembered a mag wrote about the new F150 that had the same issue - it's DESIGNED that way - I have no idea why! Anyway - it is big - it does seat 7 - it will probably tow my X5 - but I don't need to do that! Funny that it looks/feels like the MDX has a roomier 3rd row. AND - I feel this is a typical domestic ploy - the front seat doesn't go back far enough for me. It probably has great room in the second row, but I couldn't get completely comfortable up front - which is more important?

Anyway - I have decided to turn in my X in about a month . The MDX will server the duty when I need to carry a bunch of stuff. I will continue to lurk/post on these boards. I'll pick up something new in the spring but probably more along the lines of a E39 540/6 .

Thanks - John
Ads by Google
Old 10-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: X5 & E90
Dang! You must have an awfully big driveway. I hope that you still come around on a regular basis even though you won't have the X5.

Agreed on the MDX. I'd personally never want one but have not problem recommending it to someone who cares less about sportiness and more about efficiency.

Kevin
Old 10-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Member of the club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata
Agreed on the MDX. I'd personally never want one but have not problem recommending it to someone who cares less about sportiness and more about efficiency.
...or third row seating. My wife's been driving a mini-van for the past 13 years and she is ready for something new. She thinks she wants an SUV and will need the 3rd row seating. The Expedition (and Chevy's equivalents) are just too big and she's not oriented towards sportiness as much as comfort, convenience and functionality. It's looking more and more like the MDX is what she's leaning towards....

Old 10-03-2004, 02:53 PM

Update on the Expedition

It helps to have more than 20psi in the tires. I put 35 psi in all 4 as recommended - feels much different. I can't wait to smack my friend in the head when he returns.

Yeah - I'll be hanging around the 'fest even after the X goes away. This is a great group. I have all of Oct and part of Nov to drive it - then I'll be rather depressed for a while !
Old 10-03-2004, 05:35 PM
Hog Town

Mein Auto: '04 X5 4.4i & E320 4Matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCrewX5
...or third row seating. My wife's been driving a mini-van for the past 13 years and she is ready for something new. She thinks she wants an SUV and will need the 3rd row seating. The Expedition (and Chevy's equivalents) are just too big and she's not oriented towards sportiness as much as comfort, convenience and functionality. It's looking more and more like the MDX is what she's leaning towards....
MDX was getting a bit dated over the last a couple years but MY04 has been face-lifted to give it a much needed refreshed look, not to mention enhanced horsepower. I'm wondering whether all-new MDX is just a couple years away ( a la X5).
Old 10-03-2004, 07:17 PM

Yes - new MDX is rumored for '06

But why wait - the '05s are JUST out - get one w/NAV, RES, and BT. I just came home from driving it - it only has 400 miles on it, so I don't get on it too much. But the trans always seems to be in the right gear - it's pretty responsive. Still highly impressed.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Hog Town

Mein Auto: '04 X5 4.4i & E320 4Matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCX5
But why wait - the '05s are JUST out - get one w/NAV, RES, and BT. I just came home from driving it - it only has 400 miles on it, so I don't get on it too much. But the trans always seems to be in the right gear - it's pretty responsive. Still highly impressed.
For sure it's an outstanding value.