Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0i, '97 Z3 2.8i
Any info on Sirius antenna install?

Hey gang!

I'm adding a portable sirius unit in my '01 X5 and will be using a magnetic roof-mount antenna, which I will run out at the upper/roof lip of the rear hatch. Anyone have any tips on where to run the antenna cable inside for a neat, stealth (and preferably not too difficult install? TIA!
Ads by Google
Old 10-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Keyser Souze lives!

Mein Auto: '13 E70 35i MSport
There is great info on this on www.x5world.net in the Stereo section. Look at IFlyX5's great writeup on the OEM Sirius install, as well as some of the other write ups.

I installed the antenna myself and it took me about 20 minutes, taking my time, to fish the wire through the pillar and into the cargo area. A wire hanger or fish snake make the job a bit easier.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:24 PM
MILF Hunter

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
The doc is great on the x5world. I eventually placed my sirius antenna in the spoiler.
Worked out well, i do get dropouts on occasion but they seem to happen in the exact same places on the road. So I doubt it's from my antenna location.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: '03 4.6iS
Which Sirius antenna is better?

I know how funny this sounds, but I originally installed the TERK low-profile antenna (single lead) in my write-up. Then I replaced it with the OEM Sirius antenna because the TERK seemed to have a lot of drop-outs. When the new BMW low-profile antenna came out, I immediately jumped on the band wagon and installed one. I wish I didn't because it has a lot more drop-outs than the TERK or the original OEM antenna. I am going back to the old, bulky, dual-lead OEM antenna.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that all of these antennas were mounted in the spoiler and not on the roof per BMW instructions???
Old 10-04-2004, 06:53 AM
Hare Herald

Mein Auto: ˛°°4 X5 4•4
I have a standalone Sirius unit hooked up through the AUX input. I have my antenna in the front windshield behind the gauge cluster. I only experience drop outs under large trees and under bridges. Is that where yours occur IFLY or do they occur in wide open spaces?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:09 AM
Keyser Souze lives!

Mein Auto: '13 E70 35i MSport
My experience

I've got the BMW low profile installed on my roof about 6 or 8 inches to the right of the left side roof rail. I get dropouts in heavily wooded areas, or in areas with big stone walls or rocks. It also doesn't like the FDR Drive in the 50s to the 80s. Works great on highways and in open spaces. I have found that the weather makes a difference in reception, as I sometimes get dropouts on a road on an overcast day, while on a clear sunny day the same road gets perfect reception. Some of my dropouts might be due to the fact that I didn't install the antenna in the middle of the roof as per the instructions. I had the original fat OEM antenna installed in the spoiler, and dropouts were much greater, so I switched to the low profile. All in all I'm happy with my setup, though I would install it in the middle of the roof if I were to do it over again.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haigha
I have a standalone Sirius unit hooked up through the AUX input. I have my antenna in the front windshield behind the gauge cluster. I only experience drop outs under large trees and under bridges. Is that where yours occur IFLY or do they occur in wide open spaces?
Only in areas with heavily wooded areas or while driving under big trees with huge branches. Open space gets perferct reception
Old 10-04-2004, 11:55 AM
//m-powered

Mein Auto: 2013 X5M; 2010 535XiT-MSp
i have an AUX stand alone also. the write up should be on x5world.

i placed mine INSIDE the rear upper deck spoiler. no reception problems, no fades. once in a while a dropout downtown (split second), but haven't had a problem under trees here in the suburbs of chicago. did a roadtrip on it carrying amy's bike with me following, and then trailering both bikes back in pouring rain over labor day, and had no problems in the trees and woods of wisconsin.

i am currently adapting my current setup to work on the motorcycle as well..

i have the 2nd generation (single connection) sirius antenna... its a terk...

Old 10-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Member of the ® club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdd3md
i have an AUX stand alone also. the write up should be on x5world.
http://x5world.net/hdd3md_stereo.htm

Old 10-04-2004, 02:48 PM
RF Refugee

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteG
Hey gang!

I'm adding a portable sirius unit in my '01 X5 and will be using a magnetic roof-mount antenna, which I will run out at the upper/roof lip of the rear hatch. Anyone have any tips on where to run the antenna cable inside for a neat, stealth (and preferably not too difficult install? TIA!
if you mounting it on the roof, just pull off the rubber seal that runs around the hatch(on the body of the vehicle and not the latch door), and put the cable through there. there's no glue. it just pops on and off. then, route the cable behind the plastic trim piece to the left rear ccompartment. 1 or 2 screws, as i recall. really simple install.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:02 PM
MILF Hunter

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
The install is rather easy. The hardest part is putting the wire through the rubber loom between the roof and the car.

I'd suggest having two people and performing it on a warm day. It's rather easy if you have someone to stretch the boot while you stuff the wire through.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Member of the ® club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by batm4n
The install is rather easy. The hardest part is putting the wire through the rubber loom between the roof and the car.

I'd suggest having two people and performing it on a warm day. It's rather easy if you have someone to stretch the boot while you stuff the wire through.
....or use a hair dryer to heat it up first. Definately not a good idea to do it when it's cold out.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batm4n

You can lubricate the rubber grommet with liquid detergent or soap. Works extremely well (kinda slippery but that's the whole purpose of lubricating it).
Old 10-04-2004, 06:21 PM
RF Refugee

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyX5
You can lubricate the rubber grommet with liquid detergent or soap. Works extremely well (kinda slippery but that's the whole purpose of lubricating it).
Treating the rubber with Gummipflege or the new stuff, Carbaflow, for a day before you route it through would definitely loosen it up.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:08 PM
Let's Get It Started!

Mein Auto: Only BMWs
Talking x5Monkey is NOW AN EXPERT ON LUBRICATION

What was that? Treating your rubber with your Gummiflegesuprahcarbaflow is what allows both X5s to have safe sex with the blue X5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5Monkey®
Treating the rubber with Gummipflege or the new stuff, Carbaflow, for a day before you route it through would definitely loosen it up.