Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-05-2004, 06:48 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Angry Ok I need your help re: Dinan/BMW dealer in CT/NY/NJ

Hello,

I have been trying to work with a local BMW/Dinan dealer to have an issue resolved on my car but they are not helpfull at all (despite two other BMW dealers and Dinan dealer agreeing the car does not behave the way it should). I don't want to go into details why this particular dealer ship is such a pain but some of you may remember the story where my whole aftermarket stereo system was stolen at the dealership while my car had its Dinan upgrades installed (it was an inside job). Of course BMW will call you to inquire about your satisfaction after the visit and I gave the dealer a "bad" CSI rating which resulted in a call from the dealer to never show up at their dealership again (nothing new here), actually Dinan and the dealer told me that giving the dealer a non-5 point rating will "force" them to not service your car ... an interesting perspective on customer satisfaction and service (if I'd run my company in such a way I'd have no customers left).

Anyway in order to make progress on the problem I have to work with a BMW/Dinan dealer as BMW will NOT allow any BMW dealer to work on the car due the Dinan upgrades (so much for the 'warranty not voided' story)....

As there's no other BMW/Dinan dealer in MA, NH I am now forced to consider visiting a dealer in CT or NY

I'd appreciate any feedback on the dealers below and which one would be a place I could bring my car and have them look at it without having to worry about the car being damaged etc... :

I have found the following dealers in CT
BMW of Greenwich
New Country Motor Cars

and in NY

Habberstad BMW
BMW of the Hudson Valley

Thx for any help it is much appreciated,

Jan
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Keyser Souze lives!

Mein Auto: '13 E70 35i MSport
I find this story to be unbelievable. Have you spoken to the owner of the dealership? Or higher-ups @ BMWNA? To be treated this way is absolutely unreal. I realize at a certain point some fights are not worth fighting, but imho you still have the power here Jan. Regardless, I'll move on.

I live in Greenwich CT and am not too pleased with the local shop. My X is going in for a beauty treatment tomorrow, and I'm taking it to Darien. I have no experience inside the service department in Greenwich, but making appointments, having them look at a faulty Nav computer without dropping off the car... it's the little things that they have not done to keep me a customer that have me going to Darien, where the service is excellent! IMHO, they are more interested in selling cars in Greenwich, period. A friend of mine has had problems getting his leased X serviced there. It has taken multiple trips to fix basic things, and they love the 'part is not in stock' excuse.

New Country is owned by a dude that has around 40 or 50 shops in the northeast. I have no experience with them, but I do have experience with their Audi shop in Greenwich, which is the largest Audi shop in the world. The service dept. @ Audi in Greenwich sucks--it is far too small for the size of the dealership and it takes 3 or 4 trips to get basic stuff fixed the right way. I hope their BMW shop is different.

I can get you some info on BMW of the Hudson Valley this afternoon. Habberstad I've talked to on the phone--I almost bought their last 4.6, but it didn't have Nav.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan
I find this story to be unbelievable. Have you spoken to the owner of the dealership? Or higher-ups @ BMWNA? To be treated this way is absolutely unreal. I realize at a certain point some fights are not worth fighting, but imho you still have the power here Jan.
Hi thanks for the suggestions/help, it's much appreciated.

Unfortunately it is not and at this point if somebody would ask me about Dinan engine updates or any updates which possibly could be seen as influencing other parts of the car I'd STRONGLY suggested to stay away from Dinan and their "promise" if you don't have an excellent relationship with your BMW/Dinan dealer , in my situation I have an independant Dinan dealer and a BMW dealership who are willing to work together but Dinan themselve will NOT accept it but require you visit a BMW/Dinan dealership (where there's only one in all of MA/NH).... I have talked to BMW NA but of course have not received a call back from anybody, the BMW transmission hotline (Karl) is not even willing to look at the data extracted by the BMW dealership. Given there are at least two other 4.6 who've had the same issue and replacing the torque converter solved the problem it is pretty obvious it has nothing to do with the Dinan upgrades. Dinan will not even talk to BMW NA. From my point of view it's unacceptable to have the customer run around and find a solution....

- Jan
Old 10-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Member of the club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh
Hi thanks for the suggestions/help, it's much appreciated.

Unfortunately it is not and at this point if somebody would ask me about Dinan engine updates or any updates which possibly could be seen as influencing other parts of the car I'd STRONGLY suggested to stay away from Dinan and their "promise" if you don't have an excellent relationship with your BMW/Dinan dealer , in my situation I have an independant Dinan dealer and a BMW dealership who are willing to work together but Dinan themselve will NOT accept it but require you visit a BMW/Dinan dealership (where there's only one in all of MA/NH).... I have talked to BMW NA but of course have not received a call back from anybody, the BMW transmission hotline (Karl) is not even willing to look at the data extracted by the BMW dealership. Given there are at least two other 4.6 who've had the same issue and replacing the torque converter solved the problem it is pretty obvious it has nothing to do with the Dinan upgrades. Dinan will not even talk to BMW NA. From my point of view it's unacceptable to have the customer run around and find a solution....

- Jan
Jan

This is very disappointing to read. I hope someone from Dinan and BMW see this post and intercede to make things right. It simply blows my mind that a dealership would tell you that your business is no longer welcome just because you gave them honest feedback (with just cause) on your service visit.

DINAN and BMW - if you are reading this, know that Jan is a very influential member of the X5 and BMW community and this issue should be taken very seriously. Ignoring this in the hopes that it will simply "go away" will have the effect of making your customers "go away".
Old 10-05-2004, 06:22 PM
Official Bangle Hater

Mein Auto: '01 X5 4.4i, '00 M5
Jan, that really is too bad about the Dinan upgrades. So much for Dinans "bumper to bumper warranty". Sheez!
Old 10-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Funfer
wow jan, you really have me worried now. I have always taken my Dinan S-2 4.6is to the dealerhsip where i had purchased it, which by the way is not a Dinan/BMW dealership, and have had no problems with warranty work. so i had figured that there was no problem with the Dinan warranty...but now i am moving to hawaii, where i dont have alot of choices about where to take my X5, as there are only two dealerships in the entire state and they are both BMW of hawaii. so if they refuse to work on my 4.6 i might have to go through the hassle of shipping it back to the mainland to have it worked on...damn that's gonna be expensive...

nick
Old 10-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin009
wow jan, you really have me worried now. I have always taken my Dinan S-2 4.6is to the dealerhsip where i had purchased it, which by the way is not a Dinan/BMW dealership, and have had no problems with warranty work. so i had figured that there was no problem with the Dinan warranty...but now i am moving to hawaii, where i dont have alot of choices about where to take my X5, as there are only two dealerships in the entire state and they are both BMW of hawaii. so if they refuse to work on my 4.6 i might have to go through the hassle of shipping it back to the mainland to have it worked on...damn that's gonna be expensive...

nick
You will be OK if there's no transmission (and to some extent engine) issue. Once you have a transmission issue you'll have a "great" time dealing with BMW NA. Basically BMW NA will NOT look at the data, Dinan will require for to go to joint BMW/Dealer ... (if you happen to have a good one around you're lucky, in my case there's only one and it's been nothing but hassle with them).

- Jan