Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-07-2004, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
dinan s1 or s2 kit????

hi there...i was wondering if anyone has had a dinan s1 or s2 kit installed yet? i'm looking into the kits and wondering if its really worth getting the s2 and if the s1 is good enough...
Ads by Google
Old 10-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Member of the ® club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahegogo
hi there...i was wondering if anyone has had a dinan s1 or s2 kit installed yet? i'm looking into the kits and wondering if its really worth getting the s2 and if the s1 is good enough...
Here is Jan's current DINAN experience - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74108

Old 10-07-2004, 08:09 AM
RF Refugee

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 4.4
I have the s1 on a 4.4 IMO, the s1 package gives you more of an increase in performance at 10-80 mph. the s2 package is for gives you performance at 70-100+.
I raced a 4.6 s2 with my s1 4.4 and we were dead even until we hit about 75. Then, he slowly started to pull away from me until we ran out of road at about 85mph.
For the kind of driving I do, the s1 package exactly right. I wouldn't add anything more.

Quote:
Old 10-07-2004, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCrewX5
Here is Jan's current DINAN experience - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74108

i can't believe the way that bmw dealership dealt with that particular case...do you know which dealership they went through to get the dinan work done??...now i am very concerned about even thinking about getting the work done. is there any other way of increasing engine performance a 4.4i other than the dinan kits without voiding my warranty?...
Old 10-07-2004, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5Monkey®
I have the s1 on a 4.4 IMO, the s1 package gives you more of an increase in performance at 10-80 mph. the s2 package is for gives you performance at 70-100+.
I raced a 4.6 s2 with my s1 4.4 and we were dead even until we hit about 75. Then, he slowly started to pull away from me until we ran out of road at about 85mph.
For the kind of driving I do, the s1 package exactly right. I wouldn't add anything more.

did you add any additional upgrades to compliment the s1 package?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Quote:
i can't believe the way that bmw dealership dealt with that particular case...do you know which dealership they went through to get the dinan work done??...now i am very concerned about even thinking about getting the work done. is there any other way of increasing engine performance a 4.4i other than the dinan kits without voiding my warranty?...
Hi , yes it's the Dinan dealer in MA ... (there's only one). I can tell you that it's been a very frustrating experience and one of the key issues has been the fact that I'd my updates done at a BMW/Dinan dealer which will result in your car being flagged in the BMW system as a Dinan car. There won't be any warranty issues as long as you have no issues with engine/transmission. Especially transmission issues are going to be a VERY frustrating experience. In my case I have an independant Dinan dealer and a BMW dealer (who is not a Dinan dealer) who are willing to work together and help me , but NEITHER BMW or Dinan are allowing them to help, Dinan is telling me that I need to visit a BMW/Dinan dealer (there's only one in my area), now interesting enough the BMW/Dinan dealer is claiming there's nothing wrong with the car (contrary to 3 other mechanis at other dealerships).....

If you get a Dinan upgrade I'd highly recommend Concord Motorsports who's an independant Dinan dealer and has very good customer service (ask for Dan or Mike).
Their website is at http://www.concordmotorsports.com/

- Jan
Old 10-07-2004, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh
Hi , yes it's the Dinan dealer in MA ... (there's only one). I can tell you that it's been a very frustrating experience and one of the key issues has been the fact that I'd my updates done at a BMW/Dinan dealer which will result in your car being flagged in the BMW system as a Dinan car. There won't be any warranty issues as long as you have no issues with engine/transmission. Especially transmission issues are going to be a VERY frustrating experience. In my case I have an independant Dinan dealer and a BMW dealer (who is not a Dinan dealer) who are willing to work together and help me , but NEITHER BMW or Dinan are allowing them to help, Dinan is telling me that I need to visit a BMW/Dinan dealer (there's only one in my area), now interesting enough the BMW/Dinan dealer is claiming there's nothing wrong with the car (contrary to 3 other mechanis at other dealerships).....

If you get a Dinan upgrade I'd highly recommend Concord Motorsports who's an independant Dinan dealer and has very good customer service (ask for Dan or Mike).
Their website is at http://www.concordmotorsports.com/

- Jan

is this bmw gallery of norwood??? i was going to bring my car there to have the work done IF i were to get the dinan kit.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Quote:
is this bmw gallery of norwood??? i was going to bring my car there to have the work done IF i were to get the dinan kit.
A very good guess ... ... I have to be fair and will say that apparently a number of M5 owners are quite happy with them but it's certainly the minority of folks I know.
I've been there twice and in both instances they ended up in being disasters ... Story around the first visit to have the Dinan S2 upgrade installed and the second trip .... . You can PM me and I can provide you with some addtl information/background ...

- Jan