Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-17-2004, 07:05 PM
I miss my V8

Send a message via AIM to Curious Joel
Mein Auto: '03 330xi 5sp
SOMEBODY has to know the answer to my question about wipers

Ok I installed new wiper blades, Valeo Ultimate, as you probably know. Does ANYONE know why the metal part of the wiper keeps hitting the windshield?? Is there anything I can do to change the angle of the wiper, maybe?

1989 Jeep Wrangler- Black
2005 Volvo XC70- Ruby Red- Mom
1998 Audi A8 4.2- Bright Silver- Dad
1999 Audi A4 2.8- Moro Blue- Brother
1955 Dodge M-37
1947 Jaguar MkIV
1955 MG TF-1500

Previously: 2002 X5 4.4i

dsheli's Refugee Lounge 2.0
Ads by Google
Old 11-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Member of the ® club

Mein Auto: 2002 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Joel
Ok I installed new wiper blades, Valeo Ultimate, as you probably know. Does ANYONE know why the metal part of the wiper keeps hitting the windshield?? Is there anything I can do to change the angle of the wiper, maybe?
Joel, CJ, Dude,

Do yourself a favor. Buy OEM blades and move on to your next mod. If the metal is touching with OEM blades, then the arm is defective and will be replaced under warranty.

My 2¢,

SG
Old 11-17-2004, 07:45 PM
Sandlapper Chapter

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xDrive35i
He's right, you don't want to be messing with the angle of the wiper arm...could lead to wiper transmission problems...
2002 X5 3.0i/man./SP/PP/Sirius/BT/Titansilber/Sandbeige*
2006 330i/man./SP/PP/CWP/Sirius/Blackline/Rear Fogs/Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2012 VW Golf R/Rising Blue*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech
*retired
Old 11-17-2004, 07:46 PM
Member of the ® club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnickels
He's right, you don't want to be messing with the angle of the wiper arm...could lead to wiper transmission problems...
and a scratched windshield.......
Old 11-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Hog Town

Mein Auto: '04 X5 4.4i & E320 4Matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Joel, CJ, Dude,

Do yourself a favor. Buy OEM blades and move on to your next mod. If the metal is touching with OEM blades, then the arm is defective and will be replaced under warranty.

My 2¢,

SG
Yep, take up SG's advice, C.J. When in doubt go OEM.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:18 AM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
CJ: I'm Not the Last word here...

The Gang has already pointed you in right direction; also, if the oem wiper blades are that bad, the local Stlr will replace them for free under Maintenance. The Valeo blade gets some early rave reviews, but it's been out about 20min and few here or anywhere, have tried them. The initial fitment selection for various car models, was slim...

So, go get some oem blades put on by the beginner tech at the BMW joint.

Jes' an observation: I was 16 once, way back, and spent an inordinate amount of time obsessing over my mom or dad's car(s). That's ok and pretty normal. However, the urge to change/re-do/add-on every new wrinkle, part, gizmo and fix what may not be broken, is not the rec'd avenue to good "maintenance". Lecture over.

Enjoy the damn thing and enjoy your teens; there is lotsa time in future to worry about stuff. BR, Ol'UnlceMotor
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 11-18-2004, 05:38 AM
Member of the ® club

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid
The Gang...
I like "Uncle Motor", I'm glad it stuck . By the way Dave, how about an update on that wounded digit.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:05 AM
RetiredBum

Sg:...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
I like "Uncle Motor", I'm glad it stuck . By the way Dave, how about an update on that wounded digit.
Hat's off to you for coining my adopted moniker; I likes it a lot,

The index finger is slightly better, I think: throbbing like a $2 valentine. The sewn-on displaced nail, quick and nail bed is oozing and stuff. My concern is the scabbing/healing process seems to be attaching itself to the nail; sorta like gluing a dead branch back on the tree and hoping...
Thus, wangled/begged my way into an appt w/ highly regarded hand surgeon over in Asheville, this afternoon. I jes' wanna know the next step(s) and the prognosis for recovery time, etc. (The nail is going to have to come off sooner or later and then the mashed nail bed will have to heal, as well as the banged up finger tip.)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I have a TTD List a fooking yard long of stuff I should be doing around here and not quite up to speed on the 1 armed skill sets, yet,
Getting house and stuff ready for ol'ManWinter, etc., not to mention M'cycle riding, golf, etc., lol!

That's my tale of woe...thanks for wondering. Hope all is good for you in your new digs in the "dry heat" zone.
BR, Ol'UncMtr

PS: I need some directions or point me to where I can "upload" some boring pics from my digcamera. "We", (The Missus, actually), finally figured out how to dwnld them into 'puter, make photoCDs and email/bore our friends to death! Any tips from you and other smart Regs&Faves would be appreciated. md
Old 11-18-2004, 06:24 AM
Member of the ® club

Quote:
PS: I need some directions or point me to where I can "upload" some boring pics from my digcamera. "We", (The Missus, actually), finally figured out how to dwnld them into 'puter, make photoCDs and email/bore our friends to death! Any tips from you and other smart Regs&Faves would be appreciated. md
md - I assume you know how to use FTP (download SmartFTP, it's free and easy to use). I have on-line space that I can provide to you. I'll send you the details via email.

Jeff
Old 11-18-2004, 06:26 AM
Member of the ® club

[QUOTE=motordavid]Hat's off to you for coining my adopted moniker; I likes it a lot, QUOTE]

Try this for posting pictures. Stick with me, it's not that bad.
1. Go back to the RF X5 home page
2. Click on the "Check mail" hyperlink at the top of the page
3. Login
4. Click on website button
5. Go to the bottom of the page, click on the "browse" button to locate the picture on your hard drive, click "ok", then click on the "upload file" button. The picture name/link should now appear on that page.
6. Click on the picture link to open the picture. Right click on the picture, go to "properties" and copy the "url" for the picture.
7. Now go back to BF and start a new thread or reply to one.
8. You have 2 options now. You can "Insert image" via the landscape icon, or you can go to "attach files" and post the picture along with a thumbnail image.
9. If you want to "Insert Image", just paste the url you just copied from RF when prompted.
10. If you want to "attach the picture with a thumbnail, it's even easier. All you have to do is click on the attach files button, browse for the picture, then click on "upload". When it has uploaded, close the window and you are done.

Does any of this make sense??
Old 11-18-2004, 06:34 AM
Member of the ® club

The only risk using this method is, should the RF admin's kill his account then all of his pics are gone.
[QUOTE=SuperGreg]
Quote:
Hat's off to you for coining my adopted moniker; I likes it a lot, QUOTE]

Try this for posting pictures. Stick with me, it's not that bad.
1. Go back to the RF X5 home page
2. Click on the "Check mail" hyperlink at the top of the page
3. Login
4. Click on website button
5. Go to the bottom of the page, click on the "browse" button to locate the picture on your hard drive, click "ok", then click on the "upload file" button. The picture name/link should now appear on that page.
6. Click on the picture link to open the picture. Right click on the picture, go to "properties" and copy the "url" for the picture.
7. Now go back to BF and start a new thread or reply to one.
8. You have 2 options now. You can "Insert image" via the landscape icon, or you can go to "attach files" and post the picture along with a thumbnail image.
9. If you want to "Insert Image", just paste the url you just copied from RF when prompted.
10. If you want to "attach the picture with a thumbnail, it's even easier. All you have to do is click on the attach files button, browse for the picture, then click on "upload". When it has uploaded, close the window and you are done.

Does any of this make sense??
Old 11-18-2004, 06:39 AM
Oversized Rooster 4.4i

Mein Auto: '02 X5 4.4i
Get the wiper arm changed and go OEM as per the advice of the more experienced members here. If you really want to get better wipers, I highly recommend purchasing the PIAA Silicone wipers from www.bavauto.com

I have had extensive experience with these wipers, and would recommend them to anyone looking for a step up from the OEM wipers. They are available either in black finish, or in carbon fibre finish.

You can visit Bavarian Auto here...

2002 BMW X5 4.4i - Titanium Silver, Grey Leather, Activity Package, Front+Rear PDC, Boomerang2 Recovery System, Lumbar Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Sunshades, Privacy Glass, 30% Front Tint
Old 11-18-2004, 06:59 AM
RetiredBum

SG & UCrew:
I sorta understand, lol! It will be, I think, a proj. for this upcoming rainy weekend, with theMissus given it her undivided attention and assistance, too, Lol!

Have some,imo, extraordinary sunrise pics and scenes of the Mtns from our deck; not trying to travelouge ya'll to death...

I'll wack at it this weekend and I have both J's and G's email, I think.
Mine's listed on my name/moniker deal, here on beamMerFest

Going outside to cover the A/C units for winter and wash the X; then off to the hand doc.
Thanks, Men...BR, David
Old 11-18-2004, 08:17 AM
Member of the ® club

Quote:
SG & UCrew:
I sorta understand, lol! It will be, I think, a proj. for this upcoming rainy weekend, with theMissus given it her undivided attention and assistance, too, Lol!
md - I sent you an email with step by step instructions. Hope this works for you.

Jeff