Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-17-2004, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0
Question about Possibly starting petition...

Not sure there is enough people interested, but a few of us 2004 X3 owners are starting to get upset that there is no support for bluetooth with assist. Some of us are refusing to pay for assist until there is bluetooth support for the cars. Any of you with X5's interested in doing the same thing?

Very frusterating since we all recieved bluetooth passcards. False advertising I guess...

Let me know...
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Hare Herald

Mein Auto: 4 X5 44
I removed my Assist module and put a BT one in there. I don't see the big point in Assist if you have your BT phone. Sure it will call in case of the airbag deploying but this is pretty unlikely to be useful in my view. And you get the voice module with the separate BT unit but you don't with the combined one.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: '04 325, '04 X3, 04 Taho
I am in this issue twice as I have an '04 X3 and an '04 e46, both with Assist. Production dates are within the spec above. Both vehicles came with BT passkeys. I am not sure where to stand on the issue. BT was not advertised for the vehicle, therefore, I was not expecting it when I bought the car. On the other hand, with the passkey, there is an implied expectation of BT compatibility and functionality.

Where is the legal and moral high ground here? Demanding a feature that was not intended as a selling point and never promised? Or is it accepting an explaination of unintended by-products... hmmm
Old 11-18-2004, 11:33 AM
Member of the club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegarvis
I am in this issue twice as I have an '04 X3 and an '04 e46, both with Assist. Production dates are within the spec above. Both vehicles came with BT passkeys. I am not sure where to stand on the issue. BT was not advertised for the vehicle, therefore, I was not expecting it when I bought the car. On the other hand, with the passkey, there is an implied expectation of BT compatibility and functionality.

Where is the legal and moral high ground here? Demanding a feature that was not intended as a selling point and never promised? Or is it accepting an explaination of unintended by-products... hmmm
While including the BT passkey was misleading and poor judgement, I don't think this obligates BMW to providing something to you as it was not listed as a feature or option on the vehicle that was purchased. The TSB issued on this indiatated that, despite the passkey being provided, the module does not provide the BT functionality. See item 2 on this document - Bluetooth TSB 841304
Old 11-18-2004, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325, '04 X3, 04 Taho
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCrewX5
While including the BT passkey was misleading and poor judgement, I don't think this obligates BMW to providing something to you as it was not listed as a feature or option on the vehicle that was purchased. The TSB issued on this indiatated that, despite the passkey being provided, the module does not provide the BT functionality. See item 2 on this document - Bluetooth TSB 841304
I absolutely understand. My comments were directed at the topic of this thread, to start or not start a petition. I was bringing up the point that this issue is equivical. While I personally am not inclined to join the petition, I did want to further the discussion.

Last edited by bluegarvis; 11-18-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0
I am tore on this issue also, however.., The X3 was initially adverticed as a car that was able to incorprite bluetooth techologies... I am sure if you remember back it rings a bell. The car was later changed and it became available in the 2005 models. However, I do want to state I don't want something for nothing... I am willing to pay the extra charges to have everythingg working correctly. The only thing that bothers me, is if I am going to pay for BMW Assist's yearly fee, I should have both working together. Otherwise why waist the money? Maybe you guys understand this, maybe not... But I think we deserve to be included in this matter. After all its the enthusests that keep the company affloat . Additionally, when we payed the extra money for the premium package, we didn't have a choice of BMW Assist or Bluetooth. It just came with BMW Assist. That was $900 for that module, that I didn't ask for, but I paid for it. Don't you think its fair that they allow us to use this and bluetooth together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegarvis
I absolutely understand. My comments were directed at the topic of this thread, to start or not start a petition. I was bringing up the point that this issue is equivical. While I personally am not inclined to join the petition, I did want to further the discussion.