Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-20-2004, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
Smile Howdy! (New Owner Intro)

Howdy Folks!

The wifey and I had been toying around with replacing her 325Ci Vert with a X5 - something that could do double duty as her daily (though we both work from a home office so our daily is more of a "daily" )

She wanted to stay in the bimmer family (had excellent service with her 325 and her previous Z3), it had to have some decent tow capacity (not mammoth though, mid sized boat), decent offroad (offroad = beach for surfing, fishing, etc., nothing major). I knew I wanted the meatier V8, even though the tow capacities are shown at the same on the 6's vs. the 8's, I suspected the much higher TQ of the V8 would be welcome.

Anyway, we found a couple of late model 04's on our dealers lot - one was pretty much dead on with options, color, and the car was _under_ invoice with some cheap (2.9%) money from BMW. We considered an '05 but for the extra 3-4K, I was OK on the buying-end-of-year deprication hit, plus we plan on keeping this for some time (I may even take it over if we get the wifey another little go-kart in the near future).

So it's a late build '04, with the 315HP 4.4L, the 6-speed auto, it has the premium package, the sport package, the panoramic moon/sun roof (that alone sold us on not getting a used '03). It has a few other single item type options as well. It's has a Titanium exterior, light silver/grey interior, dark wood trim with Ti/graphite touches here and there.

Impressions so far:

Exceptional attention to detail as I would except from a vehicle of this price from BMW. I'm used to driving hi-perf/sports cars, so I really welcomed the sport suspension. The car has excellent handling manners for a SUV (pardon me, SAV )

Brakes feel amazing - the 4.4L has *plenty* of power, and is smooth (and even has a little bit of a growl!) It's pretty impressive for the weight of the car (I'm sure the 4.6/4.8 are even more amazing).

The tranny is butter smooth - I fiddled with the step-tronic which is neat. I noticed in [S]port mode is feels like it actually downshifts to assists in braking, which is pretty slick.

We took it on the beach (early this morning to see the sunrise, missed some incredible photo opps...). In the sand, even the pretty loose deep stuff it had no problems - we got into some deep cochina (here on the N/E coast of Florida, we have a ground mixed of tiny shells in places, it doesn't pack, so it has no "bottom" and is slippery as hell). We got a little stuck, had to fiddle back and forth, dig around a bit, managed to work it out - no biggie since you really should _avoid_ it, even big dedicated 4x4's get stick in it!).

It's a great looking S[U|A]V too - we had briefly considered an M class, which was a bit cheaper with comparible equipment, but the style just didn't do it for either of us. My wife is pretty happy with the OEM upgraded wheels, but I may sneak something aftermarket on later.

I'm going to be doing some kind of creating installs for a Sirius setup and a Garmin SP GPS unit as well. I've already seen some good advice and install tips here on the site, I'm sure I'll need to research even more!.

Cheers! :cheers:

DT
Ads by Google
Old 11-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Sandlapper Chapter

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xDrive35i
Welcome!! I'm sure you've already seen the treasure trove of info at X5world, otherwise I'd check that out immediately!!
2002 X5 3.0i/man./SP/PP/Sirius/BT/Titansilber/Sandbeige*
2006 330i/man./SP/PP/CWP/Sirius/Blackline/Rear Fogs/Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2012 VW Golf R/Rising Blue*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech
*retired
Old 11-20-2004, 02:27 PM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
DTO4R: Welcome to the 'fest nuthouse!

Pretty damn fine review, there...if you haven't alreay bought it, I suspect you are sold,lol!
GL, md
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 11-20-2004, 02:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4.8is
Welcome aboard - and enjoy your new rig!
Old 11-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Member of the ® club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Congrats and welcome!!