Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 02-18-2002, 10:24 PM
Addicted To Autocross

Mein Auto: 2001 Jet Black 330Ci
Talking Sneak Peek Of Latest Mod: Z8 Start Button LIGHTED

OK, the button itself won't light because it just simply isn't designed that way. However, that doesn't mean you can't have a light around it! I took a gamble and took it upon myself to try this out. I saw several pics of the button installed and wanted it. With the lighting, for now I'll just say I was inspired by a friend.

Still not 100%, I have work to do with fit, finish, cleanup, and light intensity to make it perfect. Not to mention the button itself doesn't work yet. I'll have more pics when its complete.

Old 02-18-2002, 10:34 PM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
Re: Sneak Peek Of Latest Mod: Z8 Start Button LIGHTED

Quote:
Originally posted by Shinobi

Someone stole one of your pedals
Old 02-19-2002, 08:20 AM
I'm a Mac

Mein Auto: 2011 Acura MDX
This is undoubtedly a stupid question, but have you rewired the ignition so that the starter button is functional, or just for show?

(Pretty cool in either case).

Current: 2011 Acura MDX
Previous: 03 540iA M-sport, 07 Porsche Boxster S, 01 BMW 330i SP, 97 Acura Integra GS-R, 89 Toy Supra, 73 Datsun 240Z
Old 02-19-2002, 12:01 PM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 550ix, GL450, 991S, R8
That is a really cool & unusual mod :thumb: :thumb:
Old 02-19-2002, 01:54 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
It doesn't work? Huh? Why do it then?

I only approve of functional mods (no matter how stupid they are, they MUST work).

Why not hang a clutch pedal too? While you are at it, how about adding two more exhaust pipes on the right side. Hell, you could just glue them to the bumper!

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'15 Volkswagen Golf TDI 6MT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as Editor-in-Chief for Autoweb!
Old 02-19-2002, 02:02 PM
Kickin' it old school

Mein Auto: E30 325is
I'm surprised that no one has insulted the mod yet. It is very popular among the Import crowd, with just about every show car sporting its own brightly lit start button.

If you can get it to function without an unreasonable amount of effort, good job. But for some reason I just don't see the BMW ignition system being simple in any way.

All the more respect to you for being unique though! :thumb:
Old 02-19-2002, 02:43 PM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
I'm glad someone finally spoke up about it too. Kinda was making me wonder. Guess it's ok for some. Just not for me.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:48 PM
~~~~~~~~~~

Send a message via AIM to LeucX3
Mein Auto: 06 VW Jetta GLI
Reminds me of my uncles old Camry, except that the light was green.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:53 PM
Addicted To Autocross

Perhaps You Didn't Read The Original Post?

Quote:
Originally posted by Emission
It doesn't work? Huh? Why do it then?

I only approve of functional mods (no matter how stupid they are, they MUST work).

Why not hang a clutch pedal too? While you are at it, how about adding two more exhaust pipes on the right side. Hell, you could just glue them to the bumper!

Emission,
I said it wasn't 100% and the button itself does not work YET. I'm NOT stupid enough to go through all of this trouble to put in a Start Button that won't start the car. I have work to do in terms of fit, finish, light intensity and functionality. The button came with its own wiring that I will be connecting to the ignition wiring and the e-brake. It WILL function as follows:

• The car will start normally

• The car will start with the key in the ignition position 2 and then a push of the button.

• The car will not start without the key no matter what

• The button will not function unless the e-brake is up for safety reasons

As for functionality in general, you may or may not realize that I am one of the few E46 owners who actually push their cars to their limit. Many of my mods are indeed functional as I autocross quite frequently. I will admit that some of my mods are strictly for show (the spoiler for example), but that is my choice.

Maybe you should read the entire original post before criticizing instead of mouthing off on a reply that distorted my original statement. I don't post that often, but my posts are usually informative and helpful and I don't care to be insulted on a knee-jerk reaction.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:11 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Re: Perhaps You Didn't Read The Original Post?

Quote:

Emission,
I said it wasn't 100% and the button itself does not work YET. I'm NOT stupid enough to go through all of this trouble to put in a Start Button that won't start the car. I have work to do in terms of fit, finish, light intensity and functionality. The button came with its own wiring that I will be connecting to the ignition wiring and the e-brake. It WILL function as follows:

• The car will start with the key in the ignition position 2 and then a push of the button.

As for functionality in general, you may or may not realize that I am one of the few E46 owners who actually push their cars to their limit. Many of my mods are indeed functional as I autocross quite frequently. I will admit that some of my mods are strictly for show (the spoiler for example), but that is my choice.

Maybe you should read the entire original post before criticizing instead of mouthing off on a reply that distorted my original statement. I don't post that often, but my posts are usually informative and helpful and I don't care to be insulted on a knee-jerk reaction.
Ooh, fights! I like fights...

I think your original post was worded vaguely...When I first read it I also thought that you had put in a non-functional button and had been biting my tongue not to lash out. I don't think Emission was THAT out of line when he first posted it and I don't think he's out of line now. Your post WAS very badly worded. Now that I understand it's a working button, I think it's cool...But I was going to give you sh*t for it before, Emission just beat me to it.

I do applaud you for doing all this work and sharing it with us...Please don't rip me a new *sshole for posting this...
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: car
Hey guys

Lets chill a bit.
Shinobi: Cool mod, I'm sure we all want to hear what a PITA you went through to make this work. How much does the button cast?

All: This board is the best 'cuz we don't slam each other. I'm sure Emission was just yanking your chain and didn't mean anything bad by his comments.

I personally can't wait to hear the details of this Mod.

My .02,
Haus
Old 02-19-2002, 08:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ??
hey, why not install 4 or 5 keylocks across the dash, and then hook 'em up so u have to turn them all within 1 second of each other or the car won't start....just like a nuclear missile silo!!!!
Old 02-19-2002, 08:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 Vectra/04 VW PolO
Re: Hey guys

Quote:
Originally posted by in_d_haus
Lets chill a bit.
Shinobi: Cool mod, I'm sure we all want to hear what a PITA you went through to make this work. How much does the button cast?

All: This board is the best 'cuz we don't slam each other. I'm sure Emission was just yanking your chain and didn't mean anything bad by his comments.

I personally can't wait to hear the details of this Mod.

My .02,
Haus
Hmmm... At least 90% of the time... Look at the post right below yours...
Old 02-19-2002, 11:08 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:

See? If it works... then I approve.

As someone who also tracks their car, I hate non-functional crap on cars - especially stuff that goes against the intent of the vehicle. I appreciate 318i's with suspension kits and aftermarket brakes, but loath to see an NSX with an automatic transmission.

Technically (electronically), I think you are in for a challenge, but maybe I am wrong. I wish you lots of luck.

BTW, If you get it to work, you could have a very cool mod on your hands (and I applaud you).

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:22 PM
Addicted To Autocross

Smile My Apologies For Barking At You Like That...

Emission,

Sorry to jump on you like that. As in_d_haus made reference to, this board does not generally have the flame wars and insults that seemed more abundant on Bimmer.org before the big migration. That may partly be the reason why I reacted so strongly, since I like the attitude and information on this board. While I'm probably more at home on the e46fanatics.com board because I like modding so much, I still like to contribute here whenever I can.

Yes, the button most definitely will work when it is complete. Right now, I'm thinking how I'm going to stabilize the button so that pushing it often won't cause it to go right through the assembly. I'm going to have to add some support behind it, but make sure that if need be, I can easily replace the bulb, which by the way, is the light bulb which used to light up my ashtray. I simply rewired it and extended it so it can reach the button.

Detailed pics and info of the installation when everything is 100% complete and functional.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:58 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Shinobi,

No offense taken, and a likewise overreaction on my part.

Does the key in the 330i (with drive-by-wire) work like an old-fashioned key (as in the longer you hold it, the longer the starter is engaged)? Or is it all electronic now, and the key just starts the process?

If the key controls the starter duration, I think it will be decidedly more complicated.

If (and I assume this is the case) the key is an old-fashioned interface to the electronic "brain" which really starts the car, you'll be in luck.

Old 02-20-2002, 06:24 AM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Quote:
Shinobi,

No offense taken, and a likewise overreaction on my part.

Does the key in the 330i (with drive-by-wire) work like an old-fashioned key (as in the longer you hold it, the longer the starter is engaged)? Or is it all electronic now, and the key just starts the process?

If the key controls the starter duration, I think it will be decidedly more complicated.

If (and I assume this is the case) the key is an old-fashioned interface to the electronic "brain" which really starts the car, you'll be in luck.
I think it's actually the former (the starter cranks as long as you hold the key--the coded chip in the key is nothing more than an electronic kill switch, preventing the engine from cranking at all if not present), but I'm not sure why this would make it more complicated. All the ignition switch does, when rotated, is close a circuit. The button in all likelihood also just closes a circuit. Wire them together, and the longer you keep the button depressed the longer the engine will crank.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:35 AM
I'm a Mac

Confuscious say: It's much better to be on the outside looking in, than on the inside looking out.

Previous: 03 540iA M-sport, 07 Porsche Boxster S, 01 BMW 330i SP, 97 Acura Integra GS-R, 89 Toy Supra, 73 Datsun 240Z
Old 02-20-2002, 07:51 AM
Raoul Duke

Quote:
Originally posted by hts
Confuscious say: It's much better to be on the outside looking in, than on the inside looking out.

Unless it's cold and rainy outside and there is a nice warm fire inside.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: car
Alls well that ends well...

Glad everyone worked it out.

All agree that Shinobi has his work cut out for him...best of luck.

Hey, you could manufacture a mod kit for it and make $$
Old 02-20-2002, 08:01 AM
Raoul Duke

Re: Perhaps You Didn't Read The Original Post?

I still don't get it. So this button might have the ability to start your car once you put in your key and switch to position 2. But what's the purpose? Seems like an extra step involved just to start your car.

Personally, I'd rather have some sort of remote starter that was safe and secure. At least that modification does something beneficial.

Not to knock the mod for the sake of looks. Very cool if that's the case!

Quote:

Emission,

Old 02-20-2002, 08:05 AM
~~~~~~~~~~

Send a message via AIM to LeucX3
Mein Auto: 06 VW Jetta GLI
So, what advantage on the track or off, does the start button provide? I know there are a few production cars with start buttons, but i've always thought them (Honda roadster) to be more gimmicky than anything else. Some background for me would be nice. Thanks...
Old 02-20-2002, 08:10 AM
I'm a Mac

I may be mistaken, but don't both the Z8 and new 745 have starter buttons (in addition to a place for a key or equivalent)?

Old 02-20-2002, 11:42 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

I am willing to bet the "START" button will become standard equipment for all manufacturers.

A push-button takes up less space than a lock cylinder (and much less depth), there is less wear on the starter motor, and emissions are reduced (this is very important) when the electronics are allowed to start the vehicle perfectly each time. I also bet that it is less expensive for the manufacturer (rather than keying a cylinder for each car). Notice BMW dropped the keyhole in the passenger door?

Old 02-20-2002, 10:22 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
no lock on passenger door? .... that's bmw cost cutting