BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Difficult M3 decisions with DCT

4K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  voltigeur 
#1 ·
I was certain on purchasing M3 ED 2010 w DCT. Now it appears our fellow festers have not been recieving satisfactory remedy on the DCT lag. I feel shakey about ED delivery from an out of area dealer or any dealer. There isn't enough profit in the deal to expect them to help out if I end up with the DCT lag problem. Those that have bought M3 and experienced the problem have been dissapointed enough to take the depreciation hit and trade off the car. Fighting for a buy back or a lemon is no fun.

This is a car with a solid engine.
Looks like I'm not so certain anymore.

Are others avoiding the DCT or the car all together.
The HPFP in the 335's has caused buyers to swiths away from BMW altogether.

Hmmmmmmm ??????

Recommendation(s) from experienced folks?

#2 ·
Get a M3 with a manual gearbox. The DCT works well unless you are picky. I am knit picky and have an ear for everything that is either wrong or about to go wrong. If you don't drive like an enthusiast or race car driver then you may most likely not know that there is a problem. After all most service men at the dealership will tell you that they never heard of such problems or heard of any customers complain:rofl::rofl::rolleyes::tsk:

#3 ·
Stop being a freak. There is nothing wrong. :eek:

#4 ·
Have you checked out m3post? There are a number of threads over there talking about DCT vs MT. It is also pretty entertaining. I am in the same boat, and I am still undecided. I really enjoyed driving the DCT, and have heard that downshifting for yourself instead of allowing the computer to do it for you diminishes the lag issue. In the end, drive both, and get what you like. I probably won't decide until the minute I place my order. Good luck.

#5 ·
If you drive in S mode...I find zero lag. If yer putzing around in 2nd gear in D mode and coasting a lot, the takeoff right afterward creates "lag." I find using the Power setting in Sport or Sport+ almost completely eliminates the lag though. It's no biggie. DCT is amazing though.

#6 ·
I very much appreciate the advice of all of you. Perhaps I'm over concerned. Thanks so much.

#7 ·
The M-DCT needs to be driven with an awareness of what is going on underneath you. It is not a torque convertor automatic and attempting to drive it as one will be frustrating. I drive mine ONLY in manual mode, shift program at 4of 6 for normal mode and 5 of 6 for M-mode. the more "aggressive" you set the transmission to be, the less lag. I agree, shifting in anticipation of a maneuver will make it more responsive.

I had problems with my M-DCT. It resulted in BMW putting a new trans in my car. My dealership and BMW NA have been very responsive to my concerns. I have been very satisfied with the experience and their efforts to make it right. Yeah, it was a bother to have been driving a 335ix for 3 weeks while the problem was being resolved, it was resolved (I believe). It also gave me an opportunity to really get to know the 335 and that is an awesome car in its own right. coming back to the M3, I found myself missing the torque of the 335ix. That went away first time I ripped it to 8000 rpm and tossed it into a curve.

The M-DCT is an amazing piece of engineering. That said, I prefer a three pedal car. Drive them both. As fast and precise the M-DCT is as a machine, I prefer to pedal and row myself. It is just me. I took the M-DCT as it was on the lot and the car was otherwise optioned right for me. All things totaled, I would prefer a three pedal car.

#28 ·
The M-DCT is an amazing piece of engineering. That said, I prefer a three pedal car. Drive them both. As fast and precise the M-DCT is as a machine, I prefer to pedal and row myself. It is just me. I took the M-DCT as it was on the lot and the car was otherwise optioned right for me. All things totaled, I would prefer a three pedal car.
I drove both - 2x - had been meaning to buy M-DCT, ordered 6MT. No regrets. You have to drive both and let them speak to you ... in the end I realized that going old school made me smile more.

But the M-DCT is an amazing piece of kit.

#8 ·
Are others avoiding the DCT or the car all together.
Avoiding the DCT on principle, not because I detected any funny business during my (admittedly short) test drive. I just like to swap gears on my own, I'm saving some $ for future modifications - at least that's how I justify my purchase decision. :)

As for servicing, there are no worries. I service my car at a different dealer I purchased from and they never give me any hassles.

#9 ·
Once again, I appreciate the input from all of you M3 end users. I will move forward with 2010 M3 ED

#10 · (Edited)
20 years from now, I will come back to read this thread about someone insisting on a 3 pedal car. What's that? :rofl:

DCT=never miss a shift. never look like a rookie driving a manual.

#14 ·
According to Porsche, the 2009 911 Carrera S with PDK turned a lap of time of 7:50. The 2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S with a manual transmission was 8 seconds slower at 7:58. Comparing it to the current (2005-2008) 911 Carrera S with manual transmission (which came in at 8:02), PDK improves the 911’s Nurburgring lap by a total of 12 seconds.

I'm sure the M3 with DCT will post similar results. The DCT is just that much quicker.

#17 ·
I'm sure the M3 with DCT will post similar results. The DCT is just that much quicker.
As long as you're in a car with the software sorted out.

Drive both and see which one you like. If you have a busy drive to work, I would lean toward the DCT. If you plan to keep the car beyond the 4 year warrranty, I would lean toward the manual. I love my six speed and prefer to choose my own gear. My first serious mod will be a short shift kit. The manual has a pretty long throw. Both are great.
The SSK is a must. Easily the best mod I've done to the car.

#15 ·
bumped

#16 ·
Drive both and see which one you like. If you have a busy drive to work, I would lean toward the DCT. If you plan to keep the car beyond the 4 year warrranty, I would lean toward the manual. I love my six speed and prefer to choose my own gear. My first serious mod will be a short shift kit. The manual has a pretty long throw. Both are great.

I would highly recommend ED as a great experience.

#29 ·

I would highly recommend ED as a great experience.
Also agree w/ your points. I plunked down for ext maintenance so w/ that horizon I was also more comfortable going MT.

TLud recommends the UUC short shift - had a chat w/ him about it - will also be my 1st mod, I think. I need to drive his M3.

#18 · (Edited)
I was sold to think that the analog speedo was better than a digital readout because the argument was that you can glance at the gage and see relatively where you are from 0-xxxx mph. Now, I feel differently. When both digital and analog gages are available, I look at the digital readout! The digital speed readout registers in my brain much faster than reading the analog dial. I think the same is true when it comes to DCT vs manual. I've been driving manuals all my life, but the DCT is the future, and I'm not stubborn enough to challenge its advantages. :D

#19 ·
Agreed on both counts. I certainly won't pretend to be able to shift faster than the DCT or that the DCT wouldn't give me faster times on the track (as long as it's working properly). The DCT also takes the M3 to a whole other level of beast. That said, I have no regrets getting the 6MT since I enjoy the extra engagement and plan to keep this car for awhile (and supercharge it when the warranty expires).

#27 ·
More fun, NO. Quicker, most likely. Very different :D.

#26 ·
the only reason i would get DCT is b/c i've only driven a stick when i drive around in my friends car, and this is after i stall about twice, and this is just driving on neighborhood streets. then i get the hang of it, should i get a DCT or a stick in that matter is the question i'm faced with in my purchase for a new m3, i'm in that dilemma right now, don't mean to steal your thunder, but what do u all recommend? i've never driven a stick on a normal basis, SMG/DCT were my choices when i first heard of the m3 b/c it has the option of driving in an automatic mode, then i could switch to manual w/o a clutch, seemed great. but after reading many complaints and personal opinions about DCT, which should i get????

#38 ·
I enjoy both the DCT and the MT. Both very much fun IMHO!

#39 ·
Noticed that the folks doing the endless arguing don't even own an M3? All non-M3 owners just 'trolling' on M3 boards are going straight to my ignore list; it's a waste of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.