BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What would you do with repeated trips for maintenance?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  elp_jc 
#1 ·
My 2008 M3 has had a problem all summer long. The check engine light comes on with a message "Increased Emissions" displayed. This happens every time the gas tank gets below about half full and it is a very hot Texas day (over 90 deg). About half the time, the cruise control also quits. I discovered a quick power off and restart usually gets the cruise control working.
Anyway, I have had the car back to the dealer 4 times for the "Increased Emissions" warning. The warning is back on today! The cruise would not work yesterday afternoon. (Another hot day).
I am getting tired driving over to the Dallas dealer even though they are always polite, supplying me with either a loaner or rental.
Is there any recourse? I want to keep it but I hate the constant "Check Engine" nite lite.

#2 ·
I'm not sure what you mean by "recourse." BMW is obligated to fix the car under warranty. If the car is not repaired within a "reasonable" number of attempts (that's what TX law says - it's not defined as far as I know), you can complain to TXDOT under the Lemon Law, and the matter will be mediated to a conclusion. Worst case - the car would be repurchased by BMW, but you aren't getting what you paid back - you have a year + worth of use on it. I'd first take it to another dealer and demand that the area engineering rep look at it. I agree that that many tries to fix it is too much.

#4 ·
Good luck in resolving your problem. Seems like you like the car.
Let us know how the problem is resolved.

#5 ·
If it always happens with about half tank, I'd venture a guess it's the gas cap. Surprised dealer hasn't tried that yet; they're a known problem, although not widespread. For $20 or so, worth a try. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.