Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Officially Something ...

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi Sedan, AT, N51
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey895 View Post
I'm still loving my 'Maro .... My biggest concern is a couple years down the road, as the build quality becomes more of an issue ... the thin metal of the convertible top mechanism has me wary ...
Thank you for the response. Are you comparing the convertible top mechanism metal to other brands w/r/t "thin" metal ? Or, does it seem thin in general ?

Thanks.

Don
Old 12-27-2016, 08:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 228i
I find it hard to believe the Camaro has better seats than the 2 series. I have the leather seats in the 2 and they are perfect.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
Coming out a 2015 C7, Google "Chevrolet 8 Speed automatic Issues".
Old 12-27-2016, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylerdo View Post
Thank you for the response. Are you comparing the convertible top mechanism metal to other brands w/r/t "thin" metal ? Or, does it seem thin in general ?

Thanks.

Don
the metal top mechanism just seems thin and fragile.

The seats are better bolstered, and heated and ventilated, but they don't have the lumbar support that BMWs have.

I bought the M6, so have no opinion on the auto tranny, fwiw.

Bottom line for me is, driving the Camaro I feel "engaged", and its a blast to drive. The BMW's (2 and 4s at least) have become tame and boring, but thats just my subjective feeling, and I'm sure others will strongly disagree. As I mentioned early, when things start going wrong (and I know they will), thats when I will likely regret the change away from german engineering. Right now, I'm loving the american muscle.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: Jetta SE 1.8
If it's Camaro V6 vs 228 or 230i, get the BMW no question.

Before you venture into a 2016+ Camaro, I suggest browsing the problems on Camaro6 site. There are lots of them and they aren't one-offs. So be prepared for problems unless you're one of the fortunate ones.

I had a 2017 SS manual. The V8 is THE way to go. The sound alone is worth it and it's a beast.

But there are substantial negatives:

1-The biggest one for me is that all the coolant drained out of the car while I was driving it and the water pump failed.....all within 50 miles on the odometer. Had it towed to the dealer. They bought it back from me after they failed to fix it the first time. My issue may have been rare but the differential issues are not as well as other stuff.

2-Visibility/parking-Since the hood doesn't slope really and it's more like a bulge, parking is a pain as well as low ground clearance....the rubber skirts can't clear much. For running errands, I would think a 2 series would be worlds better.

So I have no Camaro anymore. I decided to pass on another after my experience and stuff I've been reading. Luckily I kepy my Jetta 1.8, which at almost 25K of spirited driving has had exactly zero issues. I was thinking of getting a 230i instead. But since I already have a 4 cyl turbo, I don't know if I want to swap one for another.....even if the 230i is a better car.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:07 PM

yeah, sorry CBR, saw your posts on the C6 forums, not sure how they didn't catch all those problems. My ride has been flawless. You could always do an M240i vert, thats what I was contemplating before the 'maro. . .
Old 01-03-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
yeah, sorry CBR, saw your posts on the C6 forums, not sure how they didn't catch all those problems. My ride has been flawless. You could always do an M240i vert, thats what I was contemplating before the 'maro. . .
Yeah I was more unlucky than most. Glad you're not having issues. I'm definitely not a vert guy and a M240i coupe is way more than I want to spend. I paid $35K even for my Camaro SS. If anything, I'd be looking at low optioned 230i for same price point or a little less.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:34 PM

yeah, makes no sense to go back to a 230 after a growling V8, even if it leaked coolant. As a West coast guy like me, you may want to check out Greg Poland at Pacific BMW, he hooked me up with some fantastic leases over the years, and their factory demo cars are incredible deals. . . . GP beat every dealer in SD by a large margin on several cars I got through him.

Or, save your money, keep the Vdub, and enjoy life worry-free.

Cheers,
joel
Old 01-03-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
yeah, makes no sense to go back to a 230 after a growling V8, even if it leaked coolant. As a West coast guy like me, you may want to check out Greg Poland at Pacific BMW, he hooked me up with some fantastic leases over the years, and their factory demo cars are incredible deals. . . . GP beat every dealer in SD by a large margin on several cars I got through him.

Or, save your money, keep the Vdub, and enjoy life worry-free.

Cheers,
joel
Yes I will most likely keep my VW for now. It's nearly paid off and honestly love the car. No V8 growl or SS power. But it does have an eager growl of its own and a fun car to drive fast....without putting me in jail.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:23 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2016 Chevrolet Tahoe
228xdrive or Camaro (V6)

I think I have a point of view here because I recently bought a Tahoe after 16 years of constant BMW ownership.

First, the absolute good news is that you can put away brand snobbery. In a general sense (no pun intended), Chevy has moved their product into a competitive area globally. Quality is there. It's mostly about style preference, and certainly the Camaro and the 2 series are different that way. There's nothing to apologize for in driving a Chevrolet; the latest models are well-executed cars for the most part.

Chevy cars are built to a different price point versus BMWs. This does not make them inferior. For example, the Tahoe is a 385HP, 3-row, 7 passenger SUV capable of pulling 8000 pounds, and with all of the cool technology trimmings. I drove mine away for $56,000; any European SUV that checks all of those boxes would cost at least $30,000 more. I really didn't want a $90,000 car to serve the purpose I have for my Tahoe.

One result of that price point is that you find a few hard plastics and materials compromises here and there, but Chevy has advanced profoundly in this area and most of the compromises are in places you don't see or touch. My Tahoe is 4 months and 6000 miles old and it has been flawless. From an in-cabin features standpoint it is at least as good as the F10 I replaced with it. The interior design is very handsome.

One other way GM is working some of this cost magic is extensive platform engineering. Yes, you will see many of the exact same screens and buttons in a Camaro that you see in a Tahoe. Same V8 engine, too. Some care, some don't. Plus, BMW certainly does it too these days.

All that said, the image and brand philosophy are still different. The Camaro seems very youthful and looks a little like something out of a Pixar film. I am 45, two young girls, I'm not driving up in a Camaro. It's not me. I would go 2 series all the way for that kind of car. But it's all a matter of style and not of substance.

Last edited by WilliCO; 01-23-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 228i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Yes I will most likely keep my VW for now. It's nearly paid off and honestly love the car. No V8 growl or SS power. But it does have an eager growl of its own and a fun car to drive fast....without putting me in jail.
I totally get why people who have the money would want to spend some of it on really really fast and nice cars. But for my personality, I don't get how you drive them without really exceeding the speed limit and risking a really bad traffic court date. Yesterday I was driving on the highway with a 55 limit about 75 and an Audi R8 passed me like I was standing still. Probably going 100. Another 12 or so miles up the road and I had not seen any cop cars, so he must have been lucky and not gone by one.

But if you make a habit of driving 45-50 over the speed limit, even only now and then, odds are you're going to have a problem eventually.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
I like to drive playfully, do some quick accelerations from stop light to stop light and some traffic weaving (all within reason) but keep my driving adventures less than 10 MPH over the speed limit (old adage 9 your fine, 10 your mine seems to hold true).

Interstate on ramps are great places to blow the cobwebs out too. I see guys going 90-100 on the Interstate. Huge fines if they get caught and maybe jail time if they are too fast. Just not worth it. I like the performance for instant "get up and go". Top speed, I'll never see it. You can have a fast car and still have some fun with it w/o risking your license.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:00 PM
Winding up the M235xi

Mein Auto: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
(old adage 9 your fine, 10 your mine seems to hold true).
I always heard it as "8 is great, 9 you're mine".

YMMV.

Prior 40 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette / 1981 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion / 2009 BMW 335i xDrive E92
Old 01-30-2017, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 M240i - PCD 01/06/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
I like to drive playfully, do some quick accelerations from stop light to stop light and some traffic weaving (all within reason) but keep my driving adventures less than 10 MPH over the speed limit (old adage 9 your fine, 10 your mine seems to hold true).

Interstate on ramps are great places to blow the cobwebs out too. I see guys going 90-100 on the Interstate. Huge fines if they get caught and maybe jail time if they are too fast. Just not worth it. I like the performance for instant "get up and go". Top speed, I'll never see it. You can have a fast car and still have some fun with it w/o risking your license.
I have a similar viewpoint. I like acceleration, not necessarily top speed. Although there is a section of empty highway in my area where I have occasionally tested top speed on my GTIs. ;-)
Normally, I limit myself to no more than 7-8 mph over the speed limit on highways (=>55 mph limit) and no more than 2-3 mph over on local roads (<=45 mph limit). And, unless I am accelerating, I always use cruise control to ensure I don't inadvertently exceed my limits, which is easy to do in either of my cars.

Last edited by PeterWT; 01-30-2017 at 06:04 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search