Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: Night Rod Special
Paint color variation?

Does anyone know if the color mineral white (A96) is not the exact same shade and brilliance as any other color code A96? I ask because in seems a 2014 X1 Mineral White (A96) is a not as brilliant a white as the 2017 M240i Mineral White (A96). It looks a little less white and less metallic flaked.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 440i ED Sep M3 325iT 2002
BMWs painted with that paint code should be the same. Metallic appearances vary based on lighting. These vehicles are even made in the same plant - should be the same.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhm5 View Post
BMWs painted with that paint code should be the same. Metallic appearances vary based on lighting. These vehicles are even made in the same plant - should be the same.
I thought should be too. When I compared both cars, side by side, under the same light conditions, under sunlight and under fluorescent light, they are clearly different. That means ordering touch-up paint will likely be a hit and miss event, at best.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Still Stickin' It!

Mein Auto: '15 228i Track Pkg/6MT
A couple of factors could be involved. The plant paint process may have undergone some changes/improvements over time, so that the color code may be reliably matched within a model year, but not across years. This is why model year and VINs are often referenced before paint repairs are made. Second, are we allowing for natural effect of aging and any coatings/treatments on the three year old car, which seems less brilliant to you? With the newer paint seeming more brilliant, newness or process improvements could be afoot.
Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance Pkgs
VO over Oyster Dakota/Brushed Aluminum/Fiery Orange IP Trim Wrap

Xpel Clear Paint Film/Opticoat Pro
BBS Wheels/AS3 Tires
MPerformance Black Kidney Grilles/Decklid Spoiler
Coding by Alex
Old 01-03-2017, 07:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
You are not seeing things. There are multiple paint formula variations of each color. There are multiples of the mineral white as there are for alpine white. A certified BMW shop with the BMW paint system can tell you how many there are.
07 X3 - Sold
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 01-03-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
There are multiples of the mineral white as there are for alpine white. A certified BMW shop with the BMW paint system can tell you how many there are.
Reportedly mineral white is a tricolor paint which exacerbates the issue. Something to be said for opting for alpine white instead. Over time, touching up nicks and dings will only get harder to match color with DYI kits like Dr ColorChip. Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '16 M235xi, '16 X3 35xi
One other possibility (to me the most likely) there is three years of wear on the one car. There will be a difference in shading in the same color no matter what hue or code. Three years of UV, pollution etc. does take it's toll. Whether its ourselves or paint there is no getting around aging, we all degrade over time.

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 01-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Familienwappen

Last edited by MSgtMel; 02-01-2017 at 07:07 PM. Reason: accidental double post
Old 01-05-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtMel View Post
One other possibility (to me the most likely) there is three years of wear on the one car. There will be a difference in shading in the same color no matter what hue or code. Three years of UV, pollution etc. does take it's toll. Whether its ourselves or paint there is no getting around aging, we all degrade over time.
Probably so. Sadly, the X1 has spend most of the time in an enclosed garage, both at home and at work. I reckon Hawaiian UV rates are much higher then CONUS. I'm anal about keeping the car in pristine shape, only hand-washing and waxing regularly so I discount any significant pollutant effects. Given such a short period between cars, it's disappointing that the two colors are so clearly dissimilar.

I'm beginning to believe that more than likely, as David1 suggests, it's the plant painting blend variations from production to production. For DYIs kits, I can see it would be difficult to cover all these variations. I wonder if metallic black or alpine white has similar issues.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Familienwappen

Good point.
As all have noticed there are very few paint jobs that look nice these days. IMO the largest source of all the problems are as you pointed out, plant/water based systems. Would be surprised that even covered that these thing age faster than the old enamel and lacquer paints. Boy do I miss the effects of those painted lacquer jobs 12-18 layers of clear that gave the effect of being 3 feet thick! Ah well...

Old 01-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808dakine View Post
Does anyone know if the color mineral white (A96) is not the exact same shade and brilliance as any other color code A96?
Mostly, but ... nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhm5 View Post
BMWs painted with that paint code should be the same.
Nope.
There is always some variation within each paint code--sometimes, considerable variation. Read this post ( 3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtMel View Post
IMO the largest source of all the problems are as you pointed out, plant/water based systems.
Nope. BMW uses water-based paints for Rolls Royce vehicles and has no trouble producing a brilliant finish on those...'course, that's using a multi-coat piano process and many hours of human labor.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 02-01-2017, 06:01 PM

Update: picked up a Dr ColorChip kit for the 2014 X1 Mineral White Metallic color. Had a nasty scratch that was able to fill in as advertised. More or less satisfied with the result. Beats taking to an authorized (to charge you up the yonkers) for touching up. Unfortunately, kits for an 2017 model is not on the market as yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	588444   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	588445  

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search