Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 M240i - PCD 01/06/17
Just ordered: DINANTRONICS Sport Performance Tuner for B58 Engines

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d44...w-b58-engines/
I like the quick and easy installation/removal, no firewall pass-through and the adjustable boost levels via app.
I couldn't resist.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: '17 M240i
While I am not considering modifications to stock performance, I'll be curious about your impressions and any any tests you perform before/after.

Did Dinan provide you with charts specific to M240i, which already has enhanced output over other B58 models?
Sold: 2006 330i Silver/Black MT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW
Old 02-07-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecodoug View Post
While I am not considering modifications to stock performance, I'll be curious about your impressions and any any tests you perform before/after.

Did Dinan provide you with charts specific to M240i, which already has enhanced output over other B58 models?
Although I do not intend to dyno the car, I will post my 'butt dyno' impressions after install.

I have not seen any Dinan charts for the B58 in our cars, but they have stated in another forum that the claimed gains are on top of whatever the baseline measures are.

Their tests were done on the "Sport+" setting (+3psi); however I will likely use it on the "Sport" setting (+2psi). I really like that it is adjustable via Bluetooth app, so that I can easily try the different settings, from the comfort of my phone.

Last edited by PeterWT; 02-07-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:17 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: FBO 07 e92 335i
Congrats!
Old 02-08-2017, 02:03 PM

Haven't received mine yet, but just saw a post in another forum reporting a CEL and error codes after install.
Not happy to see that, but Dinan responded promptly with some reassuring background info.
For reference:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=51

Last edited by PeterWT; 02-08-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Haven't received mine yet, but just saw a post in another forum reporting a CEL and error codes after install.
Not happy to see that, but Dinan responded promptly with some reassuring background info.
For reference:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=51
Pretty much every tuner out there has some report of CELs after installs (Burger NM, etc.). Often times it where a customer runs the tuner on the highest setting and running lower octane gas.

W/ the B58 tuner being new, it may need a tweak or two through Dinan. Could be the difference between 91 and 93 octane gas. Was the guy w/ the problems running 89 octane? Race mode is the highest setting yes? I know on the NM when you set theirs to the highest setting they recommend 100 octane or you'll likely get CEL's.

I wouldn't get too concerned Peter. If you read any threads on piggy-back tuners you'll discover that everyone has a buyer or two w/ issues. Often inexplicable when reading all the positives for each.

Get yours installed and run it in Sport for a few hundred miles (naturally give us your feed-back and "Butt-Dyno" impressions). if no issues, go to Sport + and for the same mileage (reporting back on the difference you feel). If all goes well, test the race mode, or if you are happy w/ Sport + run it there (and just ignore the "race" setting). Betting the car will be plenty fast in Sport + and further betting you'll have zero problems.

I'm holding off for the full dealer installed Dinan Stage 1 tune later this 1st quarter 2017. Dinan is still working on the programming and testing. Hoping it will be trouble free when it hits the dealerships. Since the Stage 1 more modifications to the programing and has full dealership and Dinan support for the length of the warranty, I'm hoping no issues pop up. My plan is to run mine at Sport +. Car is crazy fast now, cannot imagine getting even 30Lb Ft more of torque at the wheels.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:34 AM

Yep. My thoughts as well. And, I always use Top Tier 93 octane fuel.
The car is already FAST as is!. I'll most likely run it in "Sport" (+2psi), or maybe "Sport+" (+3psi), sometimes.
I don't think I'll even try "Race" mode (+4psi).
Mine should arrive one day next week. I'll post my impressions after install.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:17 PM

Until that time...........

BTW, just hit 1200 on mine, half throttle and the car just jumps off the line. Just too much traffic down here to try anything today other than short "blips" here and there. Love the engine note in "sport" too.

WOT from a dead stop (or even a 5 MPH roll) and it's going to be awesome. Wife asked me if I thought we needed anything faster..............I would normally say no, but instead, kept my options open (even if I never need or use the extra HP and torque).
Old 02-20-2017, 06:58 PM

Got it today and installed it and the app on my Android phone w/o issue.
Tried it in -3, 0, +2, and +3 PSI settings. No CELs!
Can't say I feel much of a difference between the settings w/ my butt dyno. I'm going to give it a few days and report back...
Old 02-21-2017, 08:32 AM

Great to hear no CEL's.

I've been reading about different Dinan tunes and perceived results (as I am considering going that route in the near future). Couple of things I'm seeing across the board w/ the Dinan. Now, these reviews and reports are from M235i's cars running various Dinan tunes. Nothing in Stage 1 or 2 is available for the M240i yet. However, if one extrapolates the M235i reports, I'd assume similar results w/ the M240i.

1. Dinan Sport tune seems to show a marked performance gain only when set to "Race".

2. A stage 1 needs to paired w/ a Stage 2 to really see an improvement in performance.

These opinions were not what I was hoping to hear.

I have yet to find a video that shows an M235i dyno'd as stock and then dyno'd w/ a Dinan Stage 1. Having a comparison would show the real gains obtained w/ a Stage 1 tune. Using the published BMW HP number (which are under-rated) and comparing them to dyno'd crank HP numbers doesn't tell us anything really factual. If an M235i (or M240i) published HP numbers are closer to actual WHP (rather than crank HP-which would be significantly higher), then a Dinan Stage 1 tune measured @ the crank) would only be adding a few more HP over stock.

As an example here are actual dyno number from a f56 Mini Cooper S (BMW lite).

F56 Cooper S Stock
(Published Numbers: Crank Horsepower: 189 bhp Crank Torque: 207 ft-lbs)

Actual Dyno results:

Stock:
Wheel Horsepower: 188.06 whp
Wheel Torque: 229.36 ft-lbs
Crank Horsepower: 210.63 bhp
Crank Torque: 256.88 ft-lbs

F56 Cooper S w/ JCW Tuning Kit:
Wheel Horsepower: 206.53 whp
Wheel Torque: 236.99 ft-lbs
Crank Horsepower: 231.31 bhp
Crank Torque: 265.43 ft-lbs

My point...Mini shows 189 HP as the published HP....w/o adding a tuner and reporting Dyno Crank HP it appears you picked up 22 HP, just by cleaning the windows, or adding air to the tires or whatever. So a very mild bump to PSi that would add maybe 8HP, the seller could boast a 30 HP gain based on a dyno run w/ their tuner vs. the published MINI HP numbers.

The 18 HP gain and small torque bump with the JCW tune was very noticeable on my car (Butt Dyno check)
Old 02-21-2017, 05:59 PM

I think that's part of what's going on here.
I think the delta is maybe 10-20 Wheel HP & TQ in the +2 and +3 settings. That difference is VERY hard to feel using a butt dyno.
I used it in +2 today to commute to/from the office and it felt great, no issues. I had it in Sport and Sport transmission. I kept the windows open just so I could listen to it.
Next, I'll switch it to +3 and drive it that way for a while.

This tune is much more subtle than the Stage 1 APR flash tune and intake on my 2012 GTI. That one is 195/204 Wheel HP/TQ stock and vs. 243/310 HP/TQ on the 93 octane program.
It is night and day between stock and tune. It's a different car.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:01 PM

Hoping at +3 you notice a significant performance boost. Hate to think you'd have to run in race to get a noticeable increase.

Let us know.

Also, the car being so new to you (us), perhaps you haven't played enough with it as stock to get accustom to the performance under hard acceleration and other performance feats you normally do in traffic.

I'm just now starting to get into seeing what my car will do stock. I can tell a big difference in response when in comfort mode and tranny in drive and just moving the tranny to M/S while still in comfort mode. Virtually zero lag or balking.

Sport and M/S the car is really responsive, so much so I haven't been able to actually experience all its capabilities. It is scary fast in traffic and a sure "ticket-getter" if I'm not careful. I'd need some time on some country roads w/ no traffic (or police) to see what it will do. Or at least spend a few months with it as is to play with the different modes and get accustom to the cars limits and what to expect.

If I threw an tuner on it, I'd really have no idea what benefits I got or didn't.

Fortunately w/ my Mini I drove it for a few months and knew how the car performed in all modes. Hard throttle off the line or from a 10-20MPH punch. When the JCW tune was installed, I saw a noticeable improvement immediately. Again, only because I spent time with it stock and played with it a lot.

I have to do more of that w/ mine to get used to it. As it is, I'm in awe every time I hit the accelerator. I have still not floored the car, best I've done is 2/3rds in traffic and it was pretty eye-opening (with my wife's look of terror in her eye as she grabs for the door handle).

Last edited by USA-RET; 02-22-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:22 AM

Got this in the mail from Dinan. This sounds rather heartening.

I recall reading that Dinan tests all their products "@ the crank". So the numbers below actually seem to fit. The published HP & Torque provided by BMW (335 & 369 respectively) appear to be close to WHP & Torque (as we suspected).

The Dinan measured crank HP (369) & Torque numbers (414) as stock appear about right to get the WHP & Torque which BMW advertises as HP & Torque.

With the Stage 1, the Crank HP & Torque numbers take a 45HP & 63 Torque jump over stock. So taking those measured differences between stock and tuned, the WHP & Torque should increase by a like amount, (all things being equal)

Quick calculation should be something in the vicinity of 380 WHP and 432 Wheel Torque from a Stage 1 Dinan tune.

I'm assuming that to get those numbers the tuner should be adjust to the highest setting. But w/ dealership doing the install, I'd have to assume they would set it that way anyway.

Dinan data provided below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While the SPORT Tuner for the B58 engine has been out for a little over a month now and has garnered some great results along with some impressive feedback from the community at large we were also hard at work developing a variant of a more advanced tuning solution for the platform as well. That solution, the new DME8 DINAN TRONICS Performance Tuner, offers the end user a more sophisticated control unit with more capabilities and inputs than its more basic SPORT brethren. This allows for more power, and control, to be achieved with the new device. As a result this allows the product to carry the world renowned factory matching warranty Dinan is synonymous with.

The new generation of DINANTRONICS Performance Tuners is upon us and the future is blisteringly fast.

The new generation of DINANTRONICS Performance Tuners is upon us and the future is blisteringly fast.

Stage 1 DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner for the
F30 / F34 340i and F32 / F33 / F36 440i (Non-MPPSK)

Retail Price:
D440-1650-ST1
Stage 1 $1399.00
Install Time: 1.0 hrs

BMW Factory Ratings:
320 HP, 330 lb-ft torque (381 HP, 386 lb-ft Measured)

With DINANTRONICS Tuner:
412 HP, 438 lb-ft torque

Stage 1 DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner
for the F22 / F23 M240i

Retail Price:
D440-1651-ST2
Stage 1 $1399.00
Install Time: 1.0 hrs

BMW Factory Ratings:
335 HP, 369 lb-ft torque (369 HP, 415 lb-ft Measured)

With DINANTRONICS Tuner:
414 HP, 478 lb-ft torque
Old 02-24-2017, 02:06 PM

Those are attractive numbers, especially with a matching warranty, even at the asking price.

Update on my Sport unit.
I tried it on +3 PSI, with the car configured as Sport/Sport. WOW! I felt the difference. FAST!
I saw a maximum of 24 PSI on the boost gauge at WOT at those settings. Still no CELs. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:23 PM

Excellent to hear Peter.....Now try Race. LOL

If you get a CEL, then at least you know +3 gives a desired performance result. I expect "race" to run w/o any CELs in your car. Betting that other fellow's issue was due to something unique to his car only. Run 93 octane and see what happens. 0-Jail in 3.9 seconds?
Old 02-25-2017, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: '17 F22, 15 E84, '02 R53
Only if they catch you --

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
0-Jail in 3.9 seconds?
Old 02-27-2017, 09:46 AM
BMW Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2012 M3
Congrats on the purchase. Let us know if it delivers.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein. Trevon AKA Mini
Old 03-02-2017, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 328iX Wagon
I installed my Sport Tuner yesterday. 2015 F34. Driving in Sport mode and the tuner set to Sport+, the car feels faster. At $299- it seems like a great deal. No errors and running fine with 91 Octane. Anyone else with longer experience with this device? I don't plan to spend a lot on extras for this car, but I'd be curious if anyone has done any other minor mods that make this car even more fun.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:08 AM

After living with my DinanTronics Sport unit for 2 weeks now and using it exclusively with top-tier 93 octane fuel on Stock, Sport (+2psi) and Sport+ (+3psi) settings, I can say that I am happy with the purchase and can confidently recommend it to others. :thumbsup:

The pros are:
  • Hardware has good build quality
  • It uses 2 sensors instead of just 1
  • Install is easy
  • Android settings app is not elegant, but it works and includes boost gauge (better than changing settings manually on the hardware)
  • Measured on my butt dyno, power gains are noticeable and satisfying
  • Driveability is not adversely impacted on the settings I've tried
  • Bang for buck is good

The cons are:
  • It wasn't cheaper, or free
  • It didn't install itself
  • I will probably have to remove it every time I bring the car to dealer for service, in order to avoid potential warranty issues

Last edited by PeterWT; 03-05-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:29 AM

Peter, have you tried "Race" setting?
Old 03-05-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Peter, have you tried "Race" setting?
No I haven't and I don't think I will. I don't want to risk a stored code (CEL) that could result in warranty issues.
I know I'm probably being overcautious... But I'm happy with the results on Sport+ and I'd rather not push it.
My guess is that the peak gain is about 25-30HP/35-40TQ at the crank at +3psi on 93 octane. Not bad for $300. And, the install is easy and reversible.

Last edited by PeterWT; 03-05-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
No I haven't and I don't think I will. I don't want to risk a stored code (CEL) that could result in warranty issues.
I know I'm probably being overcautious... But I'm happy with the results on Sport+ and I'd rather not push it.
My guess is that the peak gain is about 25-30HP/35-40TQ at the crank at +3psi on 93 octane. Not bad for $300. And, the install is easy and reversible.
I certainly understand your perspective. If the gains are noticeable and your happy w/ the way the car performs, it certainly isn't worth risking something that could cause a warranty issue.

I imagine you have yours set and leave it, yes?

Honestly could never see why I would want to play with different map settings if I find one that gives me the performance gains and drive-ability I'm happy with.

I'm still getting accustom to the performance of my M240i. Until I know what the car's limits are (acceleration from stops and rolling punches), I'm going to hold off on a Dinan Elite.

What I know so far is the M240i isn't as brutally powerful as my C7 was, but does perform very well in comparison. With approx .5 sec separating the two in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, the BMW is pretty impressive. Just need more "wheel-time" in the BMW for a better feel. It comes down to how much power is too much power. I traded the Vette because I couldn't take advantage or or enjoy all its performance. Who knows, the Stock M240i may be the sweet spot just the way it is.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 340iX, 6-speed stick
Any potential issues using the Dinantronics Sport on B58 with MPPSK? Seems like I read the MPPSK gives a 2 psi boost over stock. Not sure where to draw the line but I'd like to get 380-400 HP.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High 'n Fast View Post
Any potential issues using the Dinantronics Sport on B58 with MPPSK? Seems like I read the MPPSK gives a 2 psi boost over stock. Not sure where to draw the line but I'd like to get 380-400 HP.
Based on this you should (at the crank)

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1327793
Old 03-08-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I certainly understand your perspective. If the gains are noticeable and your happy w/ the way the car performs, it certainly isn't worth risking something that could cause a warranty issue.

I imagine you have yours set and leave it, yes?

Honestly could never see why I would want to play with different map settings if I find one that gives me the performance gains and drive-ability I'm happy with...
Actually, I set it on +2 and left it there. If/when I get bored with that, I'll change it to +3.
For around town, street driving, this car is really fast enough already, as is.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search