Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
Lead time on M240i orders

Just curious, anyone have SWAG on the time frame between an order being picked up and the start of production?

I went with a moonroof delete. Could that delay VIN assignment and production startup?
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2016, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 M240i Auto
Received my production number on 9/20 but it did not start until 10/10.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 M240i - PCD 01/06/17
I got my production # on 10/14. I asked my CA today if she could give me the build week assigned to it and she couldn't. I'm not sure if that is because she couldn't get one, or if she didn't know how to get it.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:31 PM

I got a production Oct 8. so Maybe 3 weeks. So maybe they start Halloween. Scary.

I understand it takes about 10 days to build one, then ship it to port for loading and shipment to the US. Maybe get it before the end of year. Hopefully.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:26 AM

I recall one post saying there was a shortage of Michelin PSS as the cause of the delay, but no idea. There are several posts on production scheduling and tracking you can read through a Google search. Me, I am refusing to drive myself crazy tracking it. Figure I will get it either the week before or after Thanksgiving. Rather, keeping myself busy by viewing every single video review and trying to find pictures of mineral grey/Terra combinations.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:30 PM

BMW Genius was able to confirm that my build started today and is scheduled to complete on 11/1. My PCD delivery date is 1/6/17. That's a long time from build date. Maybe PCD will contact me before 1/6 and offer me an earlier delivery date.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:04 PM

USA-RET, did you get confirmation that your build has started?
Old 10-19-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
USA-RET, did you get confirmation that your build has started?
Funny you should ask, Sales manager called today, Car is in production, expects delivery 6-8 weeks.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Funny you should ask, Sales manager called today, Car is in production, expects delivery 6-8 weeks.

BTW, if you call BMW Genius, they'll be able to give you an expected build completion date.

Last edited by PeterWT; 10-19-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:28 PM

I entered my car w/ production number in the "my BMW" website. Shows production number, but still awaiting. I've heard that it 24 hours for the website to catch up.

Had not heard of BMW Genius.

Details Plz.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:30 AM

Quote:
I entered my car w/ production number in the "my BMW" website. Shows production number, but still awaiting. I've heard that it 24 hours for the website to catch up.

Had not heard of BMW Genius.

Details Plz.
Yes, the tracking on the My BMW site is at least a day behind and no details.
You can call BMW Genius and they'll give you more up to date info and more detail. Info is here:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...verywhere.aspx
Old 10-20-2016, 06:47 AM

Thanks Peter, I'll put them on my speed dial
Old 10-20-2016, 01:29 PM

Have also had luck with (800) 831-1117. Its an automated process. You just say "production status" and they will ask for a production # or last 7 of the VIN. Not as detailed as the BMW Genius though. As an aside, I think the Genius moniker is a bit too apple like.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberwalk View Post
Have also had luck with (800) 831-1117. Its an automated process. You just say "production status" and they will ask for a production # or last 7 of the VIN. Not as detailed as the BMW Genius though. As an aside, I think the Genius moniker is a bit too apple like.
Yeah, "Genius" is a little weird. LOL!
Old 10-31-2016, 07:20 AM

Mine is projected to be completed 2 Nov. Still looking like it should get to our dealership (Ft. Myers Florida) before year's end.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Mine is projected to be completed 2 Nov. Still looking like it should get to our dealership (Ft. Myers Florida) before year's end.
Happy Holidays!

I have to wait until 1/6...
Old 10-31-2016, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 228i ; 2017 M240i
Not sure if Leipzig is same as US Plant where the cars all built according to invioe/production order assignment. The US 'X" prodution is crazy - each car in the assembly line is different. When I toured there was a US spec X3 with Moonroof, next car was a right-hand drive diesel, next car was another US spec without moonroof. Each car had different color options and specs - amazing logistics to bring al those components to the assembly line for each unique vehicle!

So unless there's a parts shortage i doubt if any specific option has any effect (especially a 'delete' option). My M240i was delayed from 2016 to 2017 model due to shortgage of NAv units due to Japanese supplier earthquake delay.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:59 AM

Hoping mine doesn't encounter any major shortages. Not sure how the assembly line is set up but hoping all the parts needed are now available. Normal build time is 7-10 days. On 2 Nov, it will be 13 days for mine. So there must have been a wait on something along the way.

Ordered mine w/o a moon roof (maybe that was the delay as I'm sure more cars are built w/ than w/o). Didn't want that extra 90 lbs. in the worst possible place to add weight.

Once it's built, it's all about transportation, Rail to port to port to truck to dealership. Will be 58 days to EOY to to get that accomplished. Hoping it will be more like 45 days.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:15 AM

Mine is pretty much all options except the auto park thing. Build start was 10/18 and build end is scheduled as 11/1.
I just ordered this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/332008419353...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I'll be able to look at part of the car while I'm waiting... LOL!
Old 11-01-2016, 05:28 AM

Just an update. Mine was completed on 10/21 as predicted. Has been at the port awaiting transport since then.

Fun story, was commuting to work a couple of days ago when I noticed this BMW convertible pass in the faster-moving left lane. I was able to get in behind it and tried to keep up. There is a slight chicane at the beginning of the freeway we were taking, and you can get very close to the barriers there. Still, I like to use the momentum of the rear end to get around it. Following the convertible was an eye opener. Acceleration was noticeably better than my 335 and it went through the chicane effortlessly and much faster than I could. It was a bright morning with a lot of glare so hard to see. It was a while before I could tell the convertible was an M240, Not sure whether it was an X-Drive or not, really put a smile on my face thinking...just a few more weeks
Old 11-01-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberwalk View Post
just an update. Mine was completed on 10/21 as predicted. Has been at the port awaiting transport since then.

Fun story, was commuting to work a couple of days ago when i noticed this bmw convertible pass in the faster-moving left lane. I was able to get in behind it and tried to keep up. There is a slight chicane at the beginning of the freeway we were taking, and you can get very close to the barriers there. Still, i like to use the momentum of the rear end to get around it. Following the convertible was an eye opener. Acceleration was noticeably better than my 335 and it went through the chicane effortlessly and much faster than i could. It was a bright morning with a lot of glare so hard to see. It was a while before i could tell the convertible was an m240, not sure whether it was an x-drive or not, really put a smile on my face thinking...just a few more weeks
Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by PeterWT; 11-01-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Just an update. Mine was completed on 10/21 as predicted. Has been at the port awaiting transport since then.
Yeah, just another variable in the entire process. They won't send a ship out unless it's full. Depending on ship capacity, and cargo supplied by other manufacturers, a car produced earlier may actually be held up at the port and shipped w/ cars produced much later.

Timelines can be firmed up a bit better once the car is afloat and out of port.

I remember watching my Mini being produced and sent for shipment state-side. The ship I thought it would be loaded on wasn't the ship it was sent on. Mine actually was loaded on a ship that departed earlier.

Once I knew the ship name, I watched that ship move slowly across the Atlantic and dock at each port along the east coast until it finally hit Brunswick GA, Was there for about a week before it hit a car carrier headed to FL.

Generally not a big deal unless you have a trade sitting in your garage that is depreciating the longer the delivery takes.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Generally not a big deal unless you have a trade sitting in your garage that is depreciating the longer the delivery takes.
Good point. I usually just get the car off the lot. First time I ordered as there were not many available with RWD, and certainly not mineral grey/Terra. Lucky for me work has been so busy that I barely have time to worry about it. Will get a bit quieter around the holidays by which time I better have my car or else
Old 11-01-2016, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 M240i xDrive
Quote:
Remember after production, you can get the ship info for what transport your car is on. You can track the ship online and watch it all the way across the Atlantic. I did this with my e89 and it was neat to see it leave europe, go through the panama canal and finally arrive in san diego.

edit: couple links for ya -
once you get the name of your ship, you can start tracking it here - https://www.vesselfinder.com/
or if you prefer (I did) this website - http://www.marinetraffic.com/fr/?oldmmsi=477

My car came over the Hercules Leader and except for a deadspot mid-atlantic, I saw it travel every day. (current for H.Leader - http://www.marinetraffic.com/fr/ais/...CULES%20LEADER)

Last edited by ZooMigo; 11-01-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Good point. I usually just get the car off the lot. First time I ordered as there were not many available with RWD, and certainly not mineral grey/Terra. Lucky for me work has been so busy that I barely have time to worry about it. Will get a bit quieter around the holidays by which time I better have my car or else
They had one M240i on the lot, it was black with coral interior. Just couldn't pull the trigger on that one. White with Coral, maybe....nah, why not a nice silver w/ black? White w/ black? Gray w/ Black? Red w/ Black? Estoril w/ Black...Hubba Hubba!!!! Even Estoril w/ White....... That car has been on their lot for a few months now.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
dennishp@earthlink.net

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search