Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '17 M240i
Lead time on M240i orders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKENJO View Post
RET, do you know that when you order the all season tires you DO NOT get the stagger size rims, which is 18 by 7.5 up front and 18 by 8 in rear

Deleted
Sold: 2006 330i Silver/Black MT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW

Last edited by mecodoug; 11-05-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 M240i - PCD 01/06/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
No I did not!! Sales guy never mentioned it either (betting he didn't know either).

Did not show if the rim size (front to rear as different either). Had I known, I'd have opted for the Summers (maybe). Anyone happen to know if the all season rims are 18X8 all around or 7.5X18?

As I mentioned in previous posts, I will consider getting after market rims and tires if I want to liven the car up a bit and drop some unsprung weight). On the Tire Rack website (where I'd likely buy the rims, tires and TPMS), there is the option to select staggered or not for the M240i. Going w/ the staggered choice, the rims are the same at each corner (18X8), only the tire size changed. So unsure if this is a huge concern or not. Also have read that there is some wiggle room on tire to rim fitment.

I suppose if I had to put a positive spin on this, at least when I rotate the tires, I can have the full and proper rotation rather than only side to side.

I am a big fan of the Conti Extreme DW tires (light and sticky) which I run on my MCS. They get great reviews and each tires weighed 2 lbs. less that the Hankook RF's they replaced. Being in Florida, I'm more concerned w/ wet weather performance only because of our "monsoon" season (ALL SUMMER )
I also like the Conti Extreme Contact DW. I had them on my GTI. And they are cheaper than the Michelin PSS. When I need new tires on the M240i, I'll be ordering the Conti's from Tire Rack.
I think the all season option on the M240i is 7.5in. F&R.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
Well, that kinda sucks. No where did I see this listed, but admittedly I made the decision (w/o any research) to go with all seasons based on the Sales Managers recommendations when we were building the car in his office. My original thought was to order the Summer tires and anticipate buying one more set before I trade. Thought, all things being equal, switching to all seasons, I wouldn't miss the extra stickiness and could probably trade the car w/ the original tires. I'm not a high mileage driver so I'd be around 25-30K miles after 3 years.

Never in a million years could I ever imagine there would be a difference in rim sizes and a top speed limiter. (Not that this car will ever see 130MPH much less 155MPH).

Just frustrates me that this slipped past me. Now extra set of tires and wheels is more likely. Question is, can I squeeze 19's on this car as my next BMW will likely be the new M2 w/ the 400hp motor, and 19's would be the rim size of choice on that car. Or maybe just screw it and run this car as is until I trade for the next one.

Crazy, I haven't even taken possession of this one and am already looking to the next one.

I'd have probably never realized anything different about the car as far as performance and drive-ability had I not listed my options in this thread. Ignorance can in fact be bliss! Now I have something else to fret over.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: Z3M
RET, They are the 7.5 all ,on the 4 corners with the all season tires, standard tires are 225/40 up front and 245/35 on rear,I had called TIRE RACK to ask them if the 245/35 tire would fit on 7.5 rims , they would NOT RECOMEND DOING SO TIRE TO WIDE FOR 7.5 RIM
Old 11-05-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Well, that kinda sucks. No where did I see this listed, but admittedly I made the decision (w/o any research) to go with all seasons based on the Sales Managers recommendations when we were building the car in his office. My original thought was to order the Summer tires and anticipate buying one more set before I trade. Thought, all things being equal, switching to all seasons, I wouldn't miss the extra stickiness and could probably trade the car w/ the original tires. I'm not a high mileage driver so I'd be around 25-30K miles after 3 years.

Never in a million years could I ever imagine there would be a difference in rim sizes and a top speed limiter. (Not that this car will ever see 130MPH much less 155MPH).

Just frustrates me that this slipped past me. Now extra set of tires and wheels is more likely. Question is, can I squeeze 19's on this car as my next BMW will likely be the new M2 w/ the 400hp motor, and 19's would be the rim size of choice on that car. Or maybe just screw it and run this car as is until I trade for the next one.

Crazy, I haven't even taken possession of this one and am already looking to the next one.

I'd have probably never realized anything different about the car as far as performance and drive-ability had I not listed my options in this thread. Ignorance can in fact be bliss! Now I have something else to fret over.
I suspect there's a new (lighter/stickier) set of wheels/tires in your not too distant future.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
I suspect there's a new (lighter/stickier) set of wheels/tires in your not too distant future.
Perhaps.

I'll wait until I see how the car performs as ordered. It may turn out to be more car than I can actually utilize in which case, no harm, no foul.

If not, I'll go with my original plan (if I want to eke out a bit more liveliness from the car) to add a set of 8X18 OZ Ultraleggera's w/ Conti Extremes DW. Still need more, Dinan power module.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...taggered+Tires

Called "Genius" today and my car still showing as released to the shipper. I'm guessing at this point we have no way of knowing if the car is parked in the BMW lot, on a truck, or dropped off at the port for loading. I think the next update is when the VIN is scanned and loaded on a ship.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:00 PM

I spoke with Genius yesterday and they told me that mine is at the port waiting for a ship.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
I spoke with Genius yesterday and they told me that mine is at the port waiting for a ship.
Likely my "Genius" wasn't as smart as yours (a lesser Genius if you will ). Mine wasn't very helpful except to say it can take two weeks to get from the factory to a ship and then 10-13 days to cross the Atlantic.

He couldn't tell me if it was still parked on the loading dock in Leipzig, on a truck, en-route to "Bimmerhaven", Off loaded and awaiting or what. Not the answer I was hoping for.

I have to assume when the truckload of cars arriving from the factory hits the port, Those cars are logged in as delivered once off-loaded from the truck and parked (awaiting ship assignment). I do know the VINs are scanned as each car is loaded to a ship.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:03 AM

Just curious, anyone happen to know which accessories or options are added at the port?

Guessing the sill decals are, but Sales Manager thought maybe the SS pedals were also. Black Kidney Grilles?

I know the Mini Cooper mirror caps, side striping, side scuttles and a few others were port installed options.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:12 AM

RET, YOUR RIGHT ALL THE ABOVE, I ordered the Z08 package, front splitter,black grilles
rear carbon fiber spoiler and sill decals all done in the states
Old 11-06-2016, 08:12 AM

Yeah, I was told the pedals and grilles are port installed.

SMOKENJO,
When I built mine (on the BMW website), I did not see any M Performance accessories available and didn't think they could be included as part of the build. How were you able to order the Z08 package as part of the build? Did your dealer offer that?

Last edited by PeterWT; 11-06-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:28 PM

RET, I seen M performance PACKAGES on forums , series2 package Z08,MADE A PRINT OUT
I went to the dealer with it, I also saved money I had ordered all of them individually that cost was $1.685 the Z08 PKG.is $1,450 the site its on is bimmerpost.com M PERFORMANCE PACKAGES
Old 11-07-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
RET, I seen M performance PACKAGES on forums , series2 package Z08,MADE A PRINT OUT
I went to the dealer with it, I also saved money I had ordered all of them individually that cost was $1.685 the Z08 PKG.is $1,450 the site its on is bimmerpost.com M PERFORMANCE PACKAGES
Sounds like you got a great deal w/ the Z08 package. Always smart to buy stuff as a package rather than individually (providing you want, or can live with all the items in the package).

I went "light" with the add-on this time, (sill decal, black out grille and pedals). I am amazed at how much after-market stuff there is for the BMW (Mini also has scads of neat performance or appearance stuff from 3rd party vendors).

I prefer OEM stuff, but unfortunately lots of the interesting add-ons aren't available as OEM. I was looking at the side stripe decal offered as an add-on through the build process, but it just didn't "blow my kilt up". In fact, I couldn't tell for sure what the stripe would actually look like when I "Googled" it.

I have a local window tint guy that does striping and decals. If I decide to add some subtle definition to the side of the car, I'll show him a design and he'll get it made an applied, I did that with my Mini and couldn't be happier with the outcome. I never really personalized previous cars, but the MINI and BMW certainly seem to lend themselves well to a little self expression.

Going back to the Staggered/non-staggered tires and wheels. After reading volumes of Pros and cons (and believe me, there are tons of threads on the subject), I'm actually okay with my choice now. Geez, I was pretty wound up about at first though.

After thinking about it for some time, I thought, if I added aftermarket wheels and tires, I'd have chosen a non-staggered set up anyway, just to save rotational weight and improve liveliness in the cars handling.

http://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w2...orsepower.html

The biggest plus argued for a staggered set up in the forum debates is "appearance". Wider rears look cooler. Honestly, I couldn't agree more. But when I went to a tire comparison program and input both tires sizes, I was surprised to see just a touch over 3/4" difference in overall width between the two sizes. I'm not sure I'd be able to see a difference between the fronts and rears just standing and looking at them. A 2 inch difference, for sure, but less than an inch........maybe if i really looked closely or tires were stacked side by side.

I clicked the overlay button to compare the size differences.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r18-245-35r18

In the grand scheme of things, these minor differences are going to be negligible unless one is drag racing for the extra .1-.2 second 0-60 or 1/4 mile time, or auto-xing for the same lap time improvement (where each choice has benefits over the other). The M240i is likely going to be faster and livelier than most of are likely to ever need or use in day to day driving regardless of the tires or wheels we have mounted.

BTW, my lovely, understanding, and beautiful spouse has green-lite aftermarket wheels, tires as well as a Dinan power module for the M240i. Hello Officer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-26 00.49.33.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	581251  
Old 11-07-2016, 08:32 AM

SMOKENJO,
Thanks for insight into the package order.

USA-RET,
Glad you're at peace with the wheel/tire selection.
And yes, you'll have to be careful if you tune it. It's fast already!

Genius' system is down. I can't get a ship name.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:51 PM

my dealer had order the all season tires for me ,it was a mistake, when I went on the bmw build site I saw that standard rim and tire was the 7.5 an 8.0 with the different tires, but he said they could not change it ,the only way was to cancel order, I did,,, had to reorder,, I lost
3 weeks. I WAS thinking that wider tires would make a difference with handling and braking maybe,,, maybe not. I am not going to track this car but!!!!!
Old 11-07-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
my dealer had order the all season tires for me ,it was a mistake, when I went on the bmw build site I saw that standard rim and tire was the 7.5 an 8.0 with the different tires, but he said they could not change it ,the only way was to cancel order, I did,,, had to reorder,, I lost
3 weeks. I WAS thinking that wider tires would make a difference with handling and braking maybe,,, maybe not. I am not going to track this car but!!!!!
I did a Google search on BMW Staggered vs. Non Staggered and read the posts and information available.

Very interesting perspectives w/ staunch supporters in both camps.

Most certainly the summer tires are softer and will in fact handle much better than the All season run flats (no doubt there). Additionally you'll get a more compliant ride with the softer compound.

To get the best result for handling, acceleration, braking is to swap the OEM wheels and tires for an after-market set. There is a near cult following when it comes to eliminating un-sprung and rotational weight from a car. Race Teams spend thousand$ in search ways to reduce un-sprung weight and light wheels and tire packages.

As I mentioned before plenty of guys that support the staggered design are defending their position strictly from a cosmetic look. But @ 3/4 of inch difference, I'm not sure I'd notice it.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 M240i Auto
Quote:
Most certainly the summer tires are softer and will in fact handle much better than the All season run flats (no doubt there). Additionally you'll get a more compliant ride with the softer compound.
This was my reasoning. I agree with you that the Staggere look is not really noticeable, at least on my current car.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:05 PM

Well, today, when I called "Genius", I found out my car was logged into Bremerhaven on this past Monday (7 Nov). Was told I should expect 1 week to days before car gets loaded to a ship fro transport to NA.. He said call next Wednesday for update and he should have a ship name for me to track.

Looks like 1 December delivery to my dealership is be a real possibility.

Anyone else get news on their cars?
Old 11-09-2016, 02:54 PM

Genius today: Mine shows 11/3 arrival at the port and still waiting for a vessel...
Old 11-09-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Genius today: Mine shows 11/3 arrival at the port and still waiting for a vessel...
Sorry to have held you up, but mine wants to ride with yours Spend some time on the lido deck, maybe catch a show and eat off the buffet.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Sorry to have held you up, but mine wants to ride with yours Spend some time on the lido deck, maybe catch a show and eat off the buffet.
Well, hopefully they'll be on that lido deck this week.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:15 AM

HAY, just called GENIUS, mine also at port waiting to be assigned to a ship, got there on NOV. 7 ,
Old 11-10-2016, 08:48 AM

Well, mine is still sitting there today, so all 3 of ours may end up on the same boat. I hope it gets on one this week.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:49 AM

So, guessing the next time we see movement on the "Track My 2017 M240i Coupe" website, it means the cars VINs have been scanned onto the ship's manifest and either on their way or waiting for high tide to depart.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 M240i Auto
Tracking information

In case you have not seen, the blog at http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/07/14/ho...d-to-delivery/ has great info on track your BMW, including the ship once it has been assigned. Using Sailwx, the Integrity which is carrying my car shows up two days off the cost of Maine.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
dennishp@earthlink.net

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search