Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-20-2016, 09:26 PM
16228i 16228i is offline
Registered User
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 228i
Keyless Entry Break-ins

Anyone have any trouble with thieves and keyless entry break-ins? Building manager at my condo said 2 cars were broken into Friday night with no evidence of forced entry. Manager did not specify the make and model of the cars. Are 228is susceptible?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 12-20-2016, 10:03 PM
Super Canary Super Canary is offline
Registered User
Location: Oakland
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 72
Mein Auto: 2003 325i
There is equipment that is said to amplify the range of key fobs, effectively allowing a thief to open the door by having your key call out to your car despite you thinking your key is out of range. There have been reports of that happening in my neighborhood. People buy little cases that block the signal from the key. They leave their keys in there when at home.
__________________
1977 Volkswagen Scrirocco
1983 Saab 900 Turbo (3 door)
1985 Saab 900S (4 door)
1990 325i 5 Speed Sedan (one of my favorite cars)
1969 Mercedes 280 SL - White with red interior
2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited
2003 325i Sedan
2016 328i Sedan
2016 X5 40e
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-20-2016, 11:01 PM
16228i 16228i is offline
Registered User
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 228i
Do those RFID signal blocking bags (Faraday cages) for key fobs really work?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-28-2016, 06:44 PM
16228i 16228i is offline
Registered User
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 228i
Tried an RFID signal blocking experiment by placing the key fob in an Altoids tin. Vehicle could not read the fob as being in proximity. Alarm would not disarm, doors could not be opened.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-29-2016, 10:46 AM
Tom K.'s Avatar
Tom K. Tom K. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,038
Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16228i View Post
Tried an RFID signal blocking experiment by placing the key fob in an Altoids tin. Vehicle could not read the fob as being in proximity. Alarm would not disarm, doors could not be opened.
Thanks for the hi-tech solution! I assume that a Cinnamon Altoids tin will work as well as the standard...

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-29-2016, 10:52 AM
16228i 16228i is offline
Registered User
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 228i
I used Altoids Spearmint. Tin is marked "Curiously Strong Mints."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-29-2016, 01:43 PM
blubaron45 blubaron45 is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: M235i
When I installed the JB+ module on my M235i,the install guide said:Keep the key out of range,so the car won't wake up.So I tried a little test by keeping the key in my pocket,
but wrapped up in 2 layers of Reynolds Wrap.I could not open the door.Easy fix,no?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-29-2016, 09:13 PM
DBLO7 DBLO7 is offline
Pocket Rocket
Location: TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 57
Mein Auto: 2016 M235i
Interesting...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-30-2016, 06:32 AM
ingenieur ingenieur is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Horse country
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 437
Mein Auto: 328d
Read this:

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/study-...ignition-hack/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-30-2016, 06:37 PM
Fabled Fabled is offline
Registered User
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: Toyota Solara Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16228i View Post
Do those RFID signal blocking bags (Faraday cages) for key fobs really work?
I'm guessing they do based on my research. As I'm picking up my new (and first) BMW tomorrow I have two Cages showing up from Amazon. I will do some testing but the comments seem to indicate they do work.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Fabled Fabled is offline
Registered User
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: Toyota Solara Convertible
Ok I tested the Cage above on my car today and it works as expected. I am unable to use proximity to open my doors.

The only issue for me is the size of these. It just seems bigger than I would like it. It will fit in a jacket easily but not sure in summer months if I want to carry it in my pocket. If used as a sleeve in my home only it would work perfectly.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-01-2017, 05:54 PM
PeterWT PeterWT is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida, USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 157
Mein Auto: 2017 M240i - PCD 01/06/17
I ordered this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I will use it only while at home. My car will be outside in the driveway, because I have too much crap in my garage.
I will remove the battery from the spare fob that stays in the house.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-01-2017, 05:58 PM
16228i 16228i is offline
Registered User
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 228i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
Ok I tested the Cage above on my car today and it works as expected. I am unable to use proximity to open my doors.

The only issue for me is the size of these. It just seems bigger than I would like it. It will fit in a jacket easily but not sure in summer months if I want to carry it in my pocket. If used as a sleeve in my home only it would work perfectly.

Thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-05-2017, 10:48 AM
troutmalt troutmalt is offline
Registered User
Location: San Fernando, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 65
Mein Auto: 2001 750 IL
Key Fob security

There are some nice Faraday pouches on Amazon that appear rather small.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-05-2017, 06:01 PM
16228i 16228i is offline
Registered User
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 228i
Purchased a Travelon RFID signal blocking leather coin and credit card pouch #73062 because of its smaller 3.5 x 3.5 inch size. 228i doors will not open but trunk will. Strange.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-05-2017, 09:11 PM
blubaron45 blubaron45 is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16228i View Post
Purchased a Travelon RFID signal blocking leather coin and credit card pouch #73062 because of its smaller 3.5 x 3.5 inch size. 228i doors will not open but trunk will. Strange.
Again,try Reynolds Wrap(Aluminum),no increase in size,cost you what,about 1/2 a penny,it's waiting for you in the kitchen,and my car M235i,act's like it is DEAD.Why pay $20 to $40.

Last edited by blubaron45; 01-05-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-11-2017, 02:05 PM
16228i 16228i is offline
Registered User
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 228i
Related question. If a car thief uses an RFID signal amplification device to start your vehicle, does the vehicle stop running when it is out of range of the key fob/amplification device?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-11-2017, 08:43 PM
808dakine 808dakine is offline
Registered User
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 46
Mein Auto: Night Rod Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16228i View Post
Related question. If a car thief uses an RFID signal amplification device to start your vehicle, does the vehicle stop running when it is out of range of the key fob/amplification device?
Don't believe so. I've driven off without the key, and as long as I did not stop engine, car stayed on for well out of range. Easy enough to test your specific question by doing so with a helper. Let us know how it worked out.
__________________
The need for speed and sounds of freedom.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-12-2017, 06:24 AM
garinger garinger is offline
Registered User
Location: Munich
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: F21 M135i
Hi,

the here discussed "relay attack" is well-known to unlock the car.
However, there are no records that anyone is able to start the engine with this attack.
The sensors for engine start check it much more acurately if the keyfob is inside the car.

The engine will not turn off if car looses contact to keyfob. Which is good, everything else could lead to serious accidents.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-12-2017, 07:19 AM
Tanning machine's Avatar
Tanning machine Tanning machine is offline
Using SPF 45
Location: Washington, D.C.
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,601
Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
Ok I tested the Cage above on my car today and it works as expected. I am unable to use proximity to open my doors.

The only issue for me is the size of these. It just seems bigger than I would like it. It will fit in a jacket easily but not sure in summer months if I want to carry it in my pocket. If used as a sleeve in my home only it would work perfectly.
To the extent there is risk, it seems most likely to be when at home and your key is left on, say, a table with your car in the driveway/street nearby. If you're in a mall or an office building it's highly unlikely one of these range extenders will be able to locate your car.
__________________
Tanning Machine I: 1989 325iC (Salmon Silver/Black, Heated Seats, LSD). 7/26/1989-11/1/2003.
Tanning Machine II: 2004 330Cic (Silver Gray/Natural Brown, SP, PP, Heated Seats, Xenons). 8/29/2003-present.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-13-2017, 03:39 PM
16228i 16228i is offline
Registered User
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 228i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanning machine View Post
To the extent there is risk, it seems most likely to be when at home and your key is left on, say, a table with your car in the driveway/street nearby. If you're in a mall or an office building it's highly unlikely one of these range extenders will be able to locate your car.
RFID amplification devices allegedly have a range of 300 feet. 2 cars were broken in to at my condo garage.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-16-2017, 09:35 AM
PeterWT PeterWT is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida, USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 157
Mein Auto: 2017 M240i - PCD 01/06/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
I ordered this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I will use it only while at home. My car will be outside in the driveway, because I have too much crap in my garage.
I will remove the battery from the spare fob that stays in the house.
The one I got works fine.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-23-2017, 07:18 AM
Tanning machine's Avatar
Tanning machine Tanning machine is offline
Using SPF 45
Location: Washington, D.C.
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,601
Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16228i View Post
RFID amplification devices allegedly have a range of 300 feet. 2 cars were broken in to at my condo garage.
300 feet from the car or the key?
__________________
Tanning Machine I: 1989 325iC (Salmon Silver/Black, Heated Seats, LSD). 7/26/1989-11/1/2003.
Tanning Machine II: 2004 330Cic (Silver Gray/Natural Brown, SP, PP, Heated Seats, Xenons). 8/29/2003-present.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-23-2017, 08:54 AM
16228i 16228i is offline
Registered User
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 228i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanning machine View Post
300 feet from the car or the key?
300 feet from the key. The condo building I live in is 14 stories tall with parking on floors 1-4. According to building management, thieves were able to use an RFID amplification device to open 2 cars.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-23-2017, 10:29 AM
jaye944 jaye944 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ontario, GTA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 697
Mein Auto: 128i Cabriolet '12
that "is" correct however some bm's where susceptable to having a coder put into the OBD port to program a blank key to start the car, I though BMW fixed this

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinger View Post
Hi,

the here discussed "relay attack" is well-known to unlock the car.
However, there are no records that anyone is able to start the engine with this attack.
The sensors for engine start check it much more acurately if the keyfob is inside the car.

The engine will not turn off if car looses contact to keyfob. Which is good, everything else could lead to serious accidents.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms