M3 and the track? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z3 / '79 Corvette 383
M3 and the track?

I am considering buying an M3, how does BMW handle warranty claims related to track use? Also, I see that the Ultimate Care + program includes expendables like brakes and clutch. Will those be covered for track use as well?

Cheers.
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2017, 12:28 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M4/X6
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid79 View Post
I am considering buying an M3, how does BMW handle warranty claims related to track use? Also, I see that the Ultimate Care + program includes expendables like brakes and clutch. Will those be covered for track use as well?

Cheers.

Generally, this is a tricky area. I have been told that track use is not normal use and they will deny coverage of items with increased wear due to track use, if they can prove it is due to track use. Bring in your m4 with 8k miles and need new brakes will probably result in a denial of coverage. As for warranty, not service, they probably have to cover anything that fails during the 4yr/50k warranty short of an engine overrev.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M4 Convertible
Just curious as to when these cars do get tracked, isn't anyone worried about a crash and body damage? Once a car gets wrecked I can't believe it can be set up to be unnoticeable from per-accident shape. Swapping and engine or trans is one thing, but getting the front or rear suspension to be truly tuned like factory new? I don't think so. What about the loss of car value after tracking? Seems like and expensive hobby to me.

Glenn
Old 01-09-2017, 05:07 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod

Track related claims won't hunt...forget it dude....
Old 01-10-2017, 06:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbaz View Post
Just curious as to when these cars do get tracked, isn't anyone worried about a crash and body damage? Once a car gets wrecked I can't believe it can be set up to be unnoticeable from per-accident shape. Swapping and engine or trans is one thing, but getting the front or rear suspension to be truly tuned like factory new? I don't think so. What about the loss of car value after tracking? Seems like and expensive hobby to me.
My Cayman went on track with less than 4,000 miles on it. 2,000 miles were mandatory break in for cars sold in U.S.

All you said is correct, but you missed one big thing - it is not a hobby. It is an addiction, just like serious drugs. Most addicts on hard stuff don't care about consequences, as long as they get high. Same thing here. Anyone telling you differently needs AA (or, better, DA) meeting, they do not know they have a problem

EDIT: stands up ... "Hi my name is Mark and I am an addict!"

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]

Last edited by Mark K; 01-10-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:05 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M4/X6
M3 and the track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbaz View Post

Glenn

Smart people buy track insurance to cover the car for track use. It generally runs a few hundred bucks per instance. However, your other concerns are valid and that is just a risk you take if you track your car.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 F80
Sad to read BMW may deny warranty coverage on track use.

I'm Luis and I'm an addict I do track a less expensive car though (not an F80).

As much as I like the F80, Porsche does have a leg up on us on this once. Many of my track buddies that own P-cars have mentioned Porsche doesn't care if the car is tracked or not for warranty claims.

On track days I MAY see a new M3 or M4 on track; but I will definitely see a myriad of new porsches on track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2017, 05:16 PM
Go Tigers!

Mein Auto: '17 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Smart people buy track insurance to cover the car for track use. It generally runs a few hundred bucks per instance. However, your other concerns are valid and that is just a risk you take if you track your car.
This. Tracked my E90 M3 several times from 1500 miles through about 55,000, always with track insurance and never had an issue with my dealer denying warranty coverage or scheduled maintenance. In fact, my CA and SA were who I called after my first (only) track incident in the car (covered by track insurance minus the deductible). Both are CCA members/instructors and made great recommendations on bodyshop repair. The bigger issue is whether or not you want to risk such a car at the track at all. Accidents eventually happen if you track enough. Several racers have said "if you can't afford to walk away from the wreck and totally write it off, you should use another car".

Bluegrass Bimmers
2017 F30 340i M Sport/6MT - Tanzanite Blue/Saddle Brown (mine)

2013 E70 X5 3.5xdrive (hers)
2011 E90 M3 6MT (sold)
2005 E46 330i ZHP 6MT (sold)
2001 E53 X5 3.0 PP/auto (sold)
2000 E39 528i Sport/PP/5MT (sold)
1998 E39 528iA Premium (sold)
1997 E38 740i (sold)
1993 E36 318is (sold)
Old 02-06-2017, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z3 / '79 Corvette 383
I currently track a c7 z06 z07 manual. It's an absolute monster out there and handily whips just about everything. The issue is that I am going to be in need of four seats shortly. Just trying to get a feel for what I should buy. The new alpha giulia is certainly interesting. I have always liked the way BMWs handle, and I was able to ride on track in an m2 a while back. It was a great car.

Last edited by elcid79; 02-06-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Go Tigers!

Mein Auto: '17 340i
Quote:

Cheers.
Depends on your dealer...some won't care, some will make it difficult. Best to talk to the service manager at the dealer you would use. My dealer made it easy, even wanted to do my track inspection/prep. But BMW has reduced what consumables they will cover in the maintenance program as of 2017 model year.

Bluegrass Bimmers
2017 F30 340i M Sport/6MT - Tanzanite Blue/Saddle Brown (mine)

2013 E70 X5 3.5xdrive (hers)
2011 E90 M3 6MT (sold)
2005 E46 330i ZHP 6MT (sold)
2001 E53 X5 3.0 PP/auto (sold)
2000 E39 528i Sport/PP/5MT (sold)
1998 E39 528iA Premium (sold)
1997 E38 740i (sold)
1993 E36 318is (sold)
Old 02-07-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I currently track a c7 z06 z07 manual. It's an absolute monster out there and handily whips just about everything. The issue is that I am going to be in need of four seats shortly. Just trying to get a feel for what I should buy. The new alpha giulia is certainly interesting. I have always liked the way BMWs handle, and I was able to ride on track in an m2 a while back. It was a great car.
Right on. When driven properly, those cars (Corvette) are just monsters on the track. It is always amazing to me at what rate of speed they come up on me considering we left Keyhole at roughly same exit speed. Just amazing.

I would invite you to see my signature and warn you against what you are trying to do. We are all different with different sets of priorities, but I spent WAY too much money trying to fix the original mistake when wife put the foot down and wouldn't have third car in the household. Needless to say, some $50-70k later, we do have three cars in the household.

If you already have dedicated sports car, I would strongly suggest to leave it where it is and get an appliance to to seat more than 2 or seat 4 in any semblance of comfort. Seriously, I regretted dearly trying to buy a compromise car that will do daily driver and track instead of adding a thrid car for the track/fun from the get-go. Ended up hating it so much for daily driving first that I got Golf TDI for a daily driver. Then I started hating it on track so I got proper sports car instead. Again, we are all different, so take it for what it is worth ... about $0.02

Good luck!

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

Last edited by Mark K; 02-07-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: M4 Cabrio - Cayenne GTS
Taking a Daily Driver can be a lot of fun and it is a great way to explore the limits of the car in a legal, responsible and safe manner.

Many people that become serious about track driving will eventually get a dedicated track car. What works well on a track does not necessarily work will on the street and a car optimized for the track can be a very unpleasant daily driver (if it is even street legal).

BMW M3 Dedicated Track Car Build by Turner Motorsports.

Quote:
This black 2008 M3 coupe was brought to us by it’s owner with only 4,600 miles on the clock. He asked us to transform his M3 from a street car into a dedicated track beast, custom built to his needs. It received a TMS fabricated “standard” race/track cage setup, MOTON coilovers, full race exhaust (with cat-delete), software, TMS Power Pulley, carbon fiber roof (car originally had a sunroof with steel panel), Forgeline 18×10***8243; non-staggered race wheels with 275 width Hoosiers, custom built center console, retained iDrive (strictly monitoring engine oil level and other electronic features), BMW Performance Steering wheel, fire extinguishing system, racing harnesses, baseline suspension setup, and many many more features and products. The end result: This M3 is FAR lighter than a standard “street” E92 M3, and benefits from added horsepower and torque over stock. After some track time and dialing in of both the car and driver, this Turner-built E92 M3 will be the ultimate weapon for track days.

A dedicated track car does not have to be super expensive. Cars like Spec Miatas are readily available for under $20,000.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 02-08-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
A dedicated track car does not have to be super expensive. Cars like Spec Miatas are readily available for under $20,000.

There is one extra consideration, though. Non-streetable track car might cost in the range $20-30k but that means buying track storage with membership (large expense usually) or tow vehicle+trailer+storage for the track car and tow vehicle. However you look at it, it ain't gonna be cheap

I do know that a lot of people already own tow vehicle anyway, but I do not. So, it would be a rather expensive track car for me. That is including jewelry or, if jewelry is ignored, divorce as well. Rather expensive, that

Sent from my SM-G920T using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search