Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i
Recirculate button keeps turning off on its own...

I have a 2017 M3. Here are the 3 possible settings for the Air Recirculate button:
1. Left light on the button lit: Automatic Recirculation (will normally let fresh air into the cabin unless smoke or contaminants are detected, then it will automatically switch to recirculate).
2. Right light on the button lit: Forced Recirculation (no outside air let in, ever).
3. No lights on the button lit: Recirculation OFF (outside air let into the cabin).

Since it has been very cold recently, I've been keeping my recirculate button on the forced recirculate position (I don't want cold air coming into the cabin). However, after several minutes of driving, the mode automatically switches to the Automatic Recirculation mode, and I start to feel the cold air coming in through the vents. If I change it back again to Forced Recirculation mode, it just changes it back after several minutes. I can't correlate this with anything else that I'm doing.

Very annoying. Am I missing something, or is this thing broken?
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2017, 06:15 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 Feb 11 X5 35d (E70)
What are the other mode settings of the HVAC? Outside air should be warmed by the heaters to the desired cabin temperature setting.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...05OeWpEekFXbkE
Old 01-11-2017, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: F83 M4
Leaving recirculation on for extended periods of time can be dangerous, hence why the car automatically shuts it off periodically.

As Doug stated, if there's cold air getting into your car from outside, there's something wrong with your car (or you have the vents set to blow cold air via the dial above them).
Old 01-11-2017, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i
OK, it's good to hear that it isn't just happening to me (the recirculate button will automatically revert back to automatic whenever it wants to). That's all I was trying to confirm. The cold air isn't that dramatic of a change, and I have the red/blue dial above set to the mid-range position. I was just getting annoyed at it changing the position on me without me telling it to.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to M3NNIS
Mein Auto: ///M
I hate this feature, I find it only does it when running warm air, in the warmer months with colder air on it does not switch. I am thinking it has something to do with condensation.
2013 M3 Lime rock gone
2011 M3 vert gone
1987 e36 325i coupe gone

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search