Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: honda civic
Average M3 maintenance cost relative to other BMWs

Say a 340. Double? Is M3 reliability on par with other regular recent generation BMWs?

I'm debating over a used E92 335 vs a spanking new M3. An odd choice. But I was debating Prius over 528 a few years back. So it's just me
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2017, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: Sakhir m3
Costs the same under warranty... how long do you plan to keep the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2017, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
There's a second turbocharger to fail. Also, parts move so fast in the DCT's that something's more likely to let go there than in a manual or conventional automatic transmission. I don't think there's such a thing as fixing a DCT. You just have to buy a new one instead. I broke a DCT on an low-mileage M5 once... not mine, though... which was a real good thing.

Going from a Honda Civic to an M3. That's awesome. I went from a Nissan Sentra to one, and it was mind boggling. If you can really afford a new M3... enjoy. You'll be jaded about anything less than another M for the rest of your days, though.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traf View Post
Costs the same under warranty... how long do you plan to keep the car?

Like forever? I'm afraid the next BMW might come with Siri drive standard and steering wheel a no cost option Don't want to miss the last real car like I did with E9x
Old 01-14-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
There's a second turbocharger to fail. Also, parts move so fast in the DCT's that something's more likely to let go there than in a manual or conventional automatic transmission. I don't think there's such a thing as fixing a DCT. You just have to buy a new one instead. I broke a DCT on an low-mileage M5 once... not mine, though... which was a real good thing.

Going from a Honda Civic to an M3. That's awesome. I went from a Nissan Sentra to one, and it was mind boggling. If you can really afford a new M3... enjoy. You'll be jaded about anything less than another M for the rest of your days, though.
M3 has two turbos? I thought BMW faked the second one since the HPFP fiasco.

Stick always and I'm driving like a grandma.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:29 PM
Drive it like u stole it!

Mein Auto: 2016 M3
You won't drive an M like a grandma.....no matter how hard you try..........:-)
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC ------retired
2016 M3

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Old 01-14-2017, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: Sakhir m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twhisten View Post
You won't drive an M like a grandma.....no matter how hard you try..........:-)

This

Old 01-14-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever View Post

Nope. Two separate turbochargers. M 3/4's also have a water fed intercooler, instead of the normal air-fed (no moving parts) intercooler on other BMW's.

I've bought seven new passenger cars for my own use in my life. All of them have had manuals. But, if I was buying something as fast as an M3/4, I'd get the full capability out of it with a DCT.

I'd drive my M3... efficiently in traffic. But, I'd also occasionally do U-turns using the gas pedal instead of the steering wheel. I'd start humming the rip from "Song #2," reach down and turn off the DSC, and say to Frau Putzer in a British accent... "Let me see what I can do... Sir." She'd get pissed.

"Damnit! You better not. I hope a cop sees you doing this. If you get stopped, I'm going to tell the cop you do this all the time. Your ass will be going to jail for the night."

Last edited by Autoputzer; 01-14-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:21 AM
Extended Euro Delivery

Mein Auto: M4
I paid ~$200 for oil change and micro filter.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBayernFTW View Post
I paid ~$200 for oil change and micro filter.
What's "micro filter"? Cabin air filter? I think the indy shop I went to quoted me about the same on E60 528. So in general, parts are not more expensive, just more moving parts on a M car?

I'm just not sure about reliability in general relative to other BMWs. But since people in M cars behave wildly different, I guess it's hard to say.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:18 AM
Extended Euro Delivery

Average M3 maintenance cost relative to other BMWs

I'm not exceptionally knowledgeable on this topic, but judging by the long term services for E90Ms, 70k miles plus, you may want to budget for a "service/maintenance" savings plan beyond factory services. I went into this with my eyes wide open as far as long term costs.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Quote:
Say a 340. Double? Is M3 reliability on par with other regular recent generation BMWs?

I'm debating over a used E92 335 vs a spanking new M3. An odd choice. But I was debating Prius over 528 a few years back. So it's just me
IIRC you should add approx 20% premium for "M" parts simply because less M's are sold compared to 335's. Labor is about the same.

Reliability is tricky due to the low number of units sold.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 01-16-2017, 06:10 AM

Thanks for everyone's suggestion, seems still fall within reasonable range. Now make it a M4 Gran Coupe, that would be heavenly

So nobody complains about steering on the Ms? I keep reading about something like there's no feedback, but it's great
Old 01-16-2017, 06:16 AM
Extended Euro Delivery

It's a M4, IDGAF what some wannabe racers think of the E-steering

Old 01-16-2017, 07:05 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's suggestion, seems still fall within reasonable range. Now make it a M4 Gran Coupe, that would be heavenly

So nobody complains about steering on the Ms? I keep reading about something like there's no feedback, but it's great
Apparently Porsche figured out electric steering.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Apparently Porsche figured out electric steering.

Yeah, and you can bet that BMW regularly buys Porsches and takes them apart after flogging them on the 'ring with a back seat full of electrics. So, stay tuned...

At BMW M School, they set the car's steering to Comfort on the cars that have adjustable steering boost (3/4/5/'s). You're free to fiddle with the settings all you want. It's great to get feedback in the steering wheel (like in a car without power steering). But, you also get feedback through the sounds from the tires.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:12 AM
Extended Euro Delivery

I really DGAF about electric steering. I'm not a wannabe racer/"enthusiast" it really is of no consequence to me.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah, and you can bet that BMW regularly buys Porsches and takes them apart after flogging them on the 'ring with a back seat full of electrics. So, stay tuned...
You would violate patent law like that. I think the only thing you can do is black box reverse engineering, like measuring all the Porsche "feels" on a stock car and try to replicate them. But I thought some reviewer already did that and claim there's no difference and "experts" prefer F10 EPS over HPS in blind test, blah blah

Quote:

At BMW M School, they set the car's steering to Comfort on the cars that have adjustable steering boost (3/4/5/'s). You're free to fiddle with the settings all you want. It's great to get feedback in the steering wheel (like in a car without power steering). But, you also get feedback through the sounds from the tires.
Wish there's a simple power steering delete option, assuming there's still a physical connection. But I remember someone mentioned the upper steering rack may not be able to handle the extra load. True?
Old 01-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
Wish there's a simple power steering delete option, assuming there's still a physical connection. But I remember someone mentioned the upper steering rack may not be able to handle the extra load. True?
If you are so worried about steering, I think you should be also worried about turbocharging. As much as wrong electric steering saps joy out of the driving, so does the turbocharger, IMO. Skip E92 335i and get E46 M3 or E90/E92 M3. None of the worries there. I am serious, by the way.

If you are getting a daily vehicle to roll from A to B, disregard the above - turbocharger and electric steering are your friends there. If, on the other hand, you are getting a car to drive, then consider the above. Good luck!

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 01-16-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
You would violate patent law like that.
Patents don't forbid you competitor from buying your products and taking them apart. Patent laws only protect you from having your competitor copying your patented design. Not everything unique is worth patenting. Also, companies are clever about changing things just enough to claim that their design is different from somebody else's patented one.

Car companies buy, test, dismantle, reverse engineer, and copy each others stuff all the time.

Bob Lutz (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lutz_(businessman)) told a story about how GM couldn't figure out how the Hell VW diesels performed so well without the expensive DEF hardware. He said that he had friends at Honda who were also baffled by how well the VW diesels without DEF performed.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 01-16-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80
Quote:

I can't tell if you are serious. Please tell me you aren't. Faked a second turbo? How do you even come up with something so ridiculous.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:10 AM

Mein Auto: R8, M4, M5. M3, 550, 335i
Quote:
Also, parts move so fast in the DCT's that something's more likely to let go there than in a manual or conventional automatic transmission. I don't think there's such a thing as fixing a DCT. You just have to buy a new one instead. I broke a DCT on an low-mileage M5 once... not mine, though... which was a real good thing.
What? LOL where did this info come from... You 100% most certinly can fix a DCT look no further than all the GTR transmissions that break or run 6 second quarter miles lol

Hell I fried a 2 week old 2k clutch at the track trying to run low 8s. Car doesnt even throw a code just acts like a RWD car lol, and at least for the GTR its actually cheaper to BUILD one that breaks a gear or has clip failure from power, than it is to go to a nissan dealer and have them do any work.

These transmissions are very stout, especially BMWs. DCT being a hindrance is far, far from true.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 01-19-2017 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
What? LOL where did this info come from... You 100% most certinly can fix a DCT look no further than all the GTR transmissions that break or run 6 second quarter miles lol

Hell I fried a 2 week old 2k clutch at the track trying to run low 8s. Car doesnt even throw a code just acts like a RWD car lol, and at least for the GTR its actually cheaper to BUILD one that breaks a gear or has clip failure from power, than it is to go to a nissan dealer and have them do any work.

These transmissions are very stout, especially BMWs. DCT being a hindrance is far, far from true.
https://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.p...o-repair.5827/

Good on Nissan for selling parts for their DCT. BMW, not so much. Actually, BMW didn't even sell parts for the manual transmission in my E46 M3.

But, there's a theory that when something lets go inside a transmission or engine that the pieces of the failed part bounce around and cause secondary damage, and the engine or transmission is therefore not repairable.

E46 M3 engines had connecting rod bearing problems, and the bearings were replaced under recall on the early engines. If they found bearing damage during the recall they replaced the whole engine, because of the potential for secondary damage.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:21 AM

My A is driveway and my B is, more often than not, Costco My 2010 528 runs fine in every way with only 39K after all these years. If it were not for longing the stick and folding backseat for occasional outdoor trips, I would drive it until the universe darkens

I would settle for anything with good steering and a stick, 5 door is definitely a plus. If they were to announce M4 Gran Coupe with stick, I'll pay in full right now. Maybe there's still hope considering there're 3 and 4 Gran Coupe and there're M5 and M6 Gran Coupe? Why not M4 Gran Coupe?

I'm a little hesitant getting a used M because you never know where they've been to. A friend did insist I should get a M3 back then, wish I knew better and foresaw what BMW would have done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
If you are so worried about steering, I think you should be also worried about turbocharging. As much as wrong electric steering saps joy out of the driving, so does the turbocharger, IMO. Skip E92 335i and get E46 M3 or E90/E92 M3. None of the worries there. I am serious, by the way.

If you are getting a daily vehicle to roll from A to B, disregard the above - turbocharger and electric steering are your friends there. If, on the other hand, you are getting a car to drive, then consider the above. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_335 View Post
I can't tell if you are serious. Please tell me you aren't. Faked a second turbo? How do you even come up with something so ridiculous.
I didn't know M3 has two turbos, I thought everything becomes twin swirl or twin power or something since then. But no complains when I test drove N55, so whatever works.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search