M240i vert lead time - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Miata verte
M240i vert lead time

I ordered an alpine white convertible 240i in late September ,salesman said eight to 12 weeks it is now middle of January.I called customer service and they said they would modify car,apparently speak for moving me up in line.He called back two days later and told me he was successful and my my car should be here in six weeks which seems very fast for not being able to give me more information,production date etc.He told me delay was because BMW is trying too limit number of these cars.Does his answer sound legit ?
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2017, 03:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 440i ED Sep M3 325iT 2002
I have no first-hand information, but this is highly unusual. The dealer normally knows what models he's allocated and can tell you pretty quickly when you order what week your car will be made. M2s take a very long time. M240i Convertibles? Not so much. I think you should have pressed for details months ago.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:45 PM

M240i lead time

Thank you for the motivation to go see him personally
Old 01-20-2017, 03:18 PM

240i lead time

Went and spoke to dealer today he gave me a print out of car with production # and put the car in priority 1 status at factory,thanks for lighting a fire under me
Old 01-21-2017, 12:53 PM

2017 M240i

Is BMW trying to make the 2017 M240i an exclusive car by limiting dealerships allocations of these models?
Old 01-21-2017, 05:26 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: FBO 07 e92 335i
Interesting, did not know they can do that
Old 01-22-2017, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: GolfTDI (Boxster on ordr)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhouse View Post
Went and spoke to dealer today he gave me a print out of car with production # and put the car in priority 1 status at factory,thanks for lighting a fire under me
I'm glad it all worked out in the end, but I think this "priority 1 status" thing is just hot air from the dealer. That's not how stuff works with orders. They may have just messed up the order in the first place.
As for high demand, and stuff - unlikely.
I ordered an AW 240i Convertible in the last week of December and will get it late March/early April. Could've gotten one even earlier, but wanted RWD not AWD, and I'm in no rush because of the weather here in Canada. Do not want to start out with snow tires.
Good luck with your car!
Old 01-23-2017, 06:27 AM

I think I got the short end of the stick from the dealership that's all
Old 01-23-2017, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: M235i xdrive
I would press for extras (leather protector or mud mats). 8-12 weeks turns into 16-20 weeks without notice is poor communication and rapport.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:26 PM

Why would the dealership wait 15 weeks after pressing them too order my 2017 m240i,and give me the excuse "BMW is trying to make them exclusive,BMW is focusing on the X5"
Old 01-24-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Why would the dealership wait 15 weeks after pressing them too order my 2017 m240i,and give me the excuse "BMW is trying to make them exclusive,BMW is focusing on the X5"
Here's a theory:
(this kind of stuff never happens in dealerships... )
Somebody at the dealership messed-up the order and they realized that either at some month-end or maybe not even then, just when you called them - so they had to come up with some BS that sounds good, and you would not blame them.
BMW would not bother making the 2 series "exclusive". They'd prefer to make as many as they can possibly sell.
Yes, you and I paid a ton of money for these cars, but let's face it: if they'd want to make something exclusive - they'd probably start way higher in the model line.
Besides - the X5 is made in the US and the 2 series in (East)Germany.

Allocation is a real thing though, just wish dealers wouldn't use it to almost "blackmail" potential buyers.
There is only one factory who makes the 2 series for the whole planet. (maybe not for the Asian market, but I don't know that)
That factory has a limited production capacity, so BMW allocates certain number of cars/month to USA, UK, etc, etc. Out of that number - BMW USA will allocate your dealer a fraction - based on the dealership's clout/sales volume. Your dealer may end-up with only a very few 2 series cars/month. They can always trade between them. And they do.

As I mentioned before - I ordered a 240m a few weeks ago - and also looking for a plugin hybrid for my wife. Trying to decide between the 330e and the A3 e-tron. I am getting this "extremely low allocation" story from the Audi sales rep every time I talk to him. There may be a little more to his story, because apparently both Audi and BMW seemed to misjudge the interest in plugin hybrids, at least in Europe. Not so much in North America. But still....
Old 01-24-2017, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: M235i xdrive
Only consideration for exclusivity in this model would be the M2. However I have a m235 xdrive and love it, worth the wait. Maybe far fetched but if your looking to add dinan stage 1 or 2 maybe ask for a discount
Old 01-24-2017, 03:46 PM

Great answer winter.ized and very plausible.I don't believe them for a second,wish they were more upfront about it though.should I demand a set of BMW performance floor mats for the inconvenience? Thanks
Old 01-24-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
should I demand a set of BMW performance floor mats for the inconvenience? Thanks
I guess you could always try
Mats are fairly expensive though, so I may aim lower.
From what I've been reading on these boards over the years - dealers in the US seem to be more inclined to throw-in a freebie or two just to make the customer happy.
Not so much up here in Canada. I never got more than junk mail from my dealers, even though - on one occasion - I bought 2 cars within 4 months from the same sales rep.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 M240i
Efficient assembly line production dictates that as many nearly identical units in a row as possible are built before retooling the assembly line to build a significant variation of the model. Since all 2 series are built in the Leipzig plant, those significant variations would include 4 cylinder 228s, 6 cylinder m240s, m2, coupe and convertible versions of all models except m2 and xdrive versions of all models.

Notwithstanding the bs the dealer told you, probably what happened is that your order came in and Just missed a production run of your particular variation and had to wait until the next run of your particular variation.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:11 PM

240 lead time

Thank you all who took the time to reply.got the answers I was looking for

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search