Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 M240i - PCD 01/06/17
Exclamation Various Bizarre Systems Issues on Brand New M240i

I took delivery of my 2017 M240i on 06 January at the Performance Center, which was a great experience. I highly recommend it.

The car was flawless until 14 January. While on my way home from a day trip, with ~800 miles on the car, I started experiencing a variety of bizarre system malfunctions and i-drive error messages:
"Cruise Control Malfunction" - This has happened dozens of times while using the cruise control. When it occurs, the cruise control turns off and the headlights seem to 'reset'. It seems as if the whole computer system gets confused and resets.
"Collision Avoidance System Inactive" - This has happened dozens of times. When it occurs, the cruise control turns off, the collision avoidance system sensitivity setting in i-drive changes from 'early' to 'medium' and the headlights seem to 'reset'. It seems as if the whole computer system gets confused and resets.
"Remote start not functional... remote may be defective" (verbiage is not exact) This has happened twice so far. The car wouldn't start when pressing the ignition button, even though the key was in my pocket as usual. After turning the ignition off and on again, the car started, but the driver profile had changed from 1 to 2 in i-drive and changing it back to driver 1 was not allowed. After the second occurrence, I turned the ignition off and removed & reinstalled the remote battery. It has not happened since.
The driver profile in i-drive changed from driver 1 to driver 2 - This has happened a few times. Once while driving on the highway! The side view mirrors and all i-drive settings were reset. Fortunately, the seat adjustment did not change.
"Vehicle is ready to drive..." - This has happened twice so far. It occurred while driving, immediately after I stopped at a traffic light and immediately pressing the ignition switch in my driveway. After the instance in my driveway, I noticed in i-drive that the driver profile had changed from 1 to 2.

Each time these issues have occurred, I was offered and chose the "Teleservice Call" option in i-drive and the system collects and sends data to BMW(?).

Note: There is only 1 driver and I only use one remote (key fob). The second remote is not in use. Since delivery, it has been in my kitchen drawer, with the battery removed.

I dropped the car off at my dealer yesterday and got a message from the SA today that they are ordering a "coded FEM Module (Front Electronic Module)" from BMW and asked me to email a copy of my driver license and registration in order to satisfy BMW's proof ownership requirement to order the module. I thought that was weird, but sent it.
I asked if that was the root cause of all the issues and if that was the only defective part. I am awaiting a response.

Any insight anyone has on this would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by PeterWT; 01-25-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2017, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M235i xdrive
Weird but it could just be a faulty module. Really weird that they wanted proof of ownership .... never have I been asked for that at a dealership.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: '17 M240i
Wow, that is a weird gremlin. I have had zero issues in 3500 miles on my 240 but I do not have the high tech safety option, just the basic one with the back-up camera and PDC. It sounds like your issue is related to the newer technology. I hope your dealer squares it away quickly.
Sold: 2006 330i Silver/Black MT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW
Old 01-25-2017, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: '17 F22, 15 E84, '02 R53
Certain things they do ask for proof of ownership and ID - like new keys, and immobiliser etc.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:06 PM

Thanks for looking folks.
I found this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_2801
It confirms the ID requirements for ordering. Odd.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:40 AM
gdyear78

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328xi
Odd, hopefully it gets worked out. I had a Mercedes SLK350 that had a transmission issue, they had to replace the computer control module and I was required to provide notarized letter/proof of ownership as well as copy of license. All because of the opportunity for someone to code a new key, it's for your best interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 01-26-2017, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: E82 6MT
Have you considered your car might be haunted?

Honestly, the probability of a single bad component is higher than the probability of a series of bad components. Which isn't to say they'll definitely identify the correct bad component on the first try.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:28 AM

SA says the tech team is confident that the FEM is the only defective component, but it will take 3-5 days to get it. So, I won't get my car back for about a week.

Last edited by PeterWT; 01-26-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: Nissan Frontier
I assume they gave you a loaner. That had to be a bad experience in a new car that should have zero problems. Not a good statement in front of friends.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
SA says the tech team is confident that the FEM is the only defective component, but it will take 3-5 days to get it. So, I won't get my car back for about a week.
Hey Peter, sorry to hear you are having those continuing issues. Sounds like the part they identified is the culprit and should remedy the issue.

Always a PITA to have a brand new car (especially after the wait and round-about journey our cars took getting to us) have a goofy glitch like that.

Hopefully after they do the fix, you'll have clear sailing going forward. I know from past experience that once I've had an issue, early on w/ a new car, I'm never totally at ease afterward. I tend to keep looking for the same or something else to pop up (and I know I really shouldn't).

Hoping you are made of "sterner stuff" than I.

Keep us in the loop on this.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Hey Peter, sorry to hear you are having those continuing issues. Sounds like the part they identified is the culprit and should remedy the issue.

Always a PITA to have a brand new car (especially after the wait and round-about journey our cars took getting to us) have a goofy glitch like that.

Hopefully after they do the fix, you'll have clear sailing going forward. I know from past experience that once I've had an issue, early on w/ a new car, I'm never totally at ease afterward. I tend to keep looking for the same or something else to pop up (and I know I really shouldn't).

Hoping you are made of "sterner stuff" than I.

Keep us in the loop on this.
Thanks.
Although I understand that something like this can and does happen to any car, I am disappointed and can't help feeling that my brand new car is now 'tainted' in some way and will never be 'the same'. I never really had a chance to have a 'honeymoon' and it's already in others hands and it's already been 'touched' (prodded, probed, disassembled, reassemble, etc.).
So, perhaps I am not made of 'sterner stuff'.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:18 PM

Got my car back today and it's fine!

Work performed (no charge):
Crooked VPC installed stainless brake pedal replaced (straight now).
BMS wheel locks on.
Oil & filter changed.
FEM replaced.

There's 1300+ miles on the car. I redlined it for the first time, on an on ramp, on the way home! Sounds and feels great!

No errors or malfunctions during the ~1 hour ride home.

It was not the ideal first time BMW owner experience, but it's OK now.

Last edited by PeterWT; 02-01-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
My Wife and I were just talking about you today. She said, "I wonder how that guy you know on the BMW forum is doing with his car?" I said, "You mean Peter." Said I hadn't heard and was going to write you this evening. Glad to see you got it back and issue was corrected.

I'm close to 1200 miles with mine and find myself doing a little harder acceleration too. Even in "Comfort", the car is quick...@ 1200 miles I will be running in "Sport w/ shift-lever in M/S. Fun times ahead.

BTW, got notified by the FSC chapter of the BMW club. Feb 11 at Sebring there will be Vintage Races.

http://fscbmwcca.com/event/florida-c...3fb7-107052957

Free for BMW CCA members.

Hope to see you there.

Again, congrats on getting the problem fixed.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: M240i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Got my car back today and it's fine!

Work performed (no charge):
Crooked VPC installed stainless brake pedal replaced (straight now).
BMS wheel locks on.
Oil & filter changed.
FEM replaced.

There's 1300+ miles on the car. I redlined it for the first time, on an on ramp, on the way home! Sounds and feels great!

No errors or malfunctions during the ~1 hour ride home.

It was not the ideal first time BMW owner experience, but it's OK now.
Peter,

Glad all went well!

stt
Old 02-02-2017, 10:00 AM

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

@ USA-RET, I am planning to attend that event. Hope to see you there. Please tell your wife I said thanks for thinking of me.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search