Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: 228i
Confused by the Air Flow Direction. Another WTF?

Here's another WTF trying to adjust air flow direction in my 228i.

The driver's side is normal. As I keep pressing the driver's side air flow direction button, the light indicates the flow is changing between 5,6 different combinations of top, mid and bottom. However, the button for the passenger's side only cycles through mid-bottom, mid-only and bottom-only.

Can someone explain?

Last edited by notlkk; 02-10-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2017, 12:22 AM

Found my answer in the owner's manual:

Manual air distribution

Press button repeatedly to select a
program:
***9655; Upper body region.
***9655; Upper body region and footwell.
***9655; Footwell.
***9655; Windows and footwell: driver's side only.
***9655; Windows, upper body region and footwell:
driver's side only.
If the windows are fogged over, press the
AUTO button to utilize the condensation sen***8208;
sor.

So whatever I have is normal. But why? Can someone explain? why the last 2 options are driver's side only? I really don't get German logic.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 M235i Convertible
I've seen this one come up on other forums as this seems to be uniform across the BMW range. When you think about it a bit, it's pretty obvious. "Windows" is defrost / defog. The driver is the one that needs to see out to drive and thus would need to turn on or turn off the defrost / defog air flow. It's about driver visibility, not driver or passenger comfort. The other settings control the comfort side of things. On another note, as small as the interior cabin area is, particularly in the 2er, I am not quite sure why we need dual zone temperature settings. We have them in all our newer vehicles and typically, I will keep my side around 70 all the time and wife will it run it up to 75 in the winter when she's cold and ramp it down to 65 in the summer when she's hot. Then I need to adjust my settings in an opposite way to maintain an overall 70 degree cabin temperature - kind of silly really.
66 Porsche 912 (Project)
05 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 (Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear / workshop & tools
Old 02-11-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
I've seen this one come up on other forums as this seems to be uniform across the BMW range. When you think about it a bit, it's pretty obvious. "Windows" is defrost / defog. The driver is the one that needs to see out to drive and thus would need to turn on or turn off the defrost / defog air flow. It's about driver visibility, not driver or passenger comfort. The other settings control the comfort side of things. On another note, as small as the interior cabin area is, particularly in the 2er, I am not quite sure why we need dual zone temperature settings. We have them in all our newer vehicles and typically, I will keep my side around 70 all the time and wife will it run it up to 75 in the winter when she's cold and ramp it down to 65 in the summer when she's hot. Then I need to adjust my settings in an opposite way to maintain an overall 70 degree cabin temperature - kind of silly really.
I don't know. On a cold or rainy day, if you have a passenger the passenger's side window could easily fog up. Then what? I mean, is it really that hard to make both sides the same? Or is it just to reduce cost?

This is really dumb. I've never seen any Japanese luxury cars do this. It's really beyond me.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:45 AM
Winding up the M235xi

Mein Auto: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by notlkk View Post
I don't know. On a cold or rainy day, if you have a passenger the passenger's side window could easily fog up. Then what? I mean, is it really that hard to make both sides the same? Or is it just to reduce cost?
The driver's control button turns on the defogger on both sides. It's just that the driver is the one who gets to control it.

Prior 40 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette / 1981 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion / 2009 BMW 335i xDrive E92

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
air flow

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search