Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW M4 F83 2017
Cool Just updated to Nav Maps 2017.1 - Middle East

So I bought a 2017 BMW M4 F83 in September, it came preinstalled with ancient maps version 2016.1 when at the time I know that 2016.4 were out but AGMC didn't have it yet.

Anyway, one of the features of iDrive 5.0 / the 2017 models is that they are able to get OTA (over the air) updates up to 4 times per year and you would see a map update percentage bar in the nav screen. I never ever saw that like people in the US on other forums have been reporting.

Fast forward to today, I called AGMC and told them I need the map update, they said that I have to go to the dealership first, pay 1000 dhs (500 dhs for the map and 500 dhs for the labor), then they would order the map update from Germany and call me when it arrives to update.

I thought that was absurd as I shouldn't be charged to pay for map updates on a brand new car, at least give me the 2017 first update for free as per my car's year model!

The people at the call center are very misinformed on how all this works.

I then went myself to the dealership on Sheikh Zayed Road and spoke with a senior technician, he told me that OTA updates weren't happening for me because this was a major bump from 2016 to 2017 and not a small incremental update. He also told me that my car comes with free map updates until 2019 so I don't need to pay. He downloaded the latest maps onto his USB Flash Drive and then updated my maps within 5 minutes and now I have that latest 2017.1 update. The maps have more detail, better graphics of buildings, metro stations, etc.

I hope I start getting OTA updates now that I have the 2017.1 map installed

According to the technician, my car has the latest map software called EVO which should receive OTA updates

Just wanted to share my experience in case you were wondering about this and to save you the hassle and the misinformation, DO NOT CALL the call center, just go to AGMC directly. The free map updates is only applicable to 2017+ models as per the technician, previous model years still have to pay for the updates.

Also, iDrive 5.0 is now available at AGMC if you have a pre 2017 model and want to upgrade from iDrive 4.0 to iDrive 5.0
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2017, 02:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW M4 F83 2017
The technician copied the files on to his USB Flash Drive, then simply plugged the USB under the armrest and the update prompt showed up.

He told me, that even if I copied those files on another USB and gave it to someone, it wouldn't work as it has some codes for my vehicle

On older models before like the E9x, one had to enter a code provided by BMW to start the update, but now the downloadable updates which they have come from BMW Germany as per the vehicle's VIN so no code entry is necessary since the new BMWs have NBT-evo

Last edited by Snappy Phoenix; 02-14-2017 at 02:35 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search