BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Pull Back & bunny hopping

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mookjohnson 
#1 ·
So here goes (im a girl so bear with me)

A few weeks ago I noticed the odd judder when driving, but initially thought it may be some heavy wind captured under the car. However it has since got worse.

The orange warning light of a triangle with arrow around it comes on when the car pulls, on and off constantly at the moment causing the car to bunny hop, slow down etc.
I am just able to ride through it by switching gear, often going a bit too fast for the gear I am in (a bit too much throttle) but my car is definatley not well.

My mechanic cant see my car until late next week, and even then needs to keep it for a few days.

I know I just cant drive it at the moment but happy to roll up my sleeves and attempt some self help remedies as long as I have full instructions on how to do so.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated as I am just foreseeing the worst with plenty of ££££££ to follow :bawling:

Car info:
Unleaded
Series 1
95,000 miles on clock

See less See more
#2 ·
That would be your traction control kicking in.

Either you're being a bit rough on the accelerator, or your tires are bald... or just not inflated properly. Obviously the last is the easiest to check, but while you're at it check the tread depth. You might need new tires, but as I said it's equally possible that the tires aren't inflated properly as that can cause the tires to deform and kick in the traction control.

The colder weather doesn't help either; spots of ice might be a problem depending on how cold it is in your neck of the woods right now... but more likely it's the tires themselves. Oh, and check if they're summer tires; many summer tires become like hockey pucks when it gets cold, particularly run-flats.

Hope this helps :)

#3 ·
im not a bimmer owner but i'd like to give it a try. my guess is uneven tire pressure; when temperature drops, tire pressure tend to drop too and when temperature rises, tire pressure rises.
just have it checked out and inflate it as needed.
remember:
1. don't check your tire pressure after driving; do it when the tires are cold.
2. check your tire pressure when there's a dramatic temperature change

#4 ·
Could also be a slightly bent rim. I had a bent rim and didn't know it until one day I heard a strange growl and vibration at certain speeds. upon acceleration, my traction control light lit up. Thought the egine had problems but it was just a bent rim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.