BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Whip

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Kosd 
#1 · (Edited)
As many of you may have noticed from a previous post, I recently was in an accident in my GT. After careful searching, I've found and purchased a 2012 550i GT XDrive in Dark Graphite Metallic II with Cinnamon Nappa Leather Seats, 27k mi, with 18 months of remaining factor warranty...

Though I really wanted to find a 550 with MSport Pkg, there weren't any that fit ALL of my other criteria... If they had MSport pkg then they didn't have AWD, if they had AWD then they had dakota seats (I much prefer nappa), if they did AWD and nappa, then they had too many miles, etc.

Anyway, I'm really happy with my purchase, even though the look of the new car is not anywhere near as aggressive as my previous GT (and I promised my wife that any mods to the car would be minimal as I put a lot of money into my last one)...

Eventually, I would like to wrap the hood, roof, and trunk lid chrome strip in carbon fiber and "murder out" the wheels, smoke out the tail lamps, and do a reflector delete.

The car has all of the options that my old car had except the DVD entertainment system.

New options include:

Active Cruise Control
A built-in (in lower front grille-- see third photo--) K40 radar detector/laser diffuser, and
ventilated front and rear seats (which look really sweet with the perforated cinnamon nappa)

Options which I previously had which this car also has are:
Sport pkg (with 20" wheels)
Camera pkg
Luxury Seating pkg
Cold Weather Pkg
Convenience pkg
Driver Assistance Pkg
Full tints

I've attached a few photos taken by the dealer since I haven't had a chance to photograph it myself yet. Let me know what you think?!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't man...I think your new ride looks much better than the 1st. It is lesson learned on the mods. The insurance company won't give you any credit for after market mods. That cinnamon interior reminds me of the interior of a Bentley or Rolls Royce. Much better...much IMO.

#4 ·
Thanks bro! I think someone else in the forum has the exact same color combo... is that you?

#6 ·
No it is not me. I have a Black Sapphire Metallic exterior with Black Dakota leather interior. I have seen the Nappa leather as samples and in some showroom BMWs and will keep that in mind for my next BMW down the road.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile appo

#5 ·
Thanks Fishy... Also thanks for you input on the AWD vs RWD question I posted... I had found a REALLY sweet LOADED (including the entertainment pkg, which, I never once used in my old car, but was still cool, haha) 550i MSport in Alpine White with Black Nappa down in Florida (this car is from Florida too which is nice because it's never seen a winter!) but it was RWD so had to pass...

And though my accident was not my fault, I'm driving this one a lot more defensively as I don't think the wife would go for a third same car is anything (God forbid) were to happen to this baby!

#7 ·
Thanks Fishy... Also thanks for you input on the AWD vs RWD question I posted... I had found a REALLY sweet LOADED (including the entertainment pkg, which, I never once used in my old car, but was still cool, haha) 550i MSport in Alpine White with Black Nappa down in Florida (this car is from Florida too which is nice because it's never seen a winter!) but it was RWD so had to pass...

And though my accident was not my fault, I'm driving this one a lot more defensively as I don't think the wife would go for a third same car is anything (God forbid) were to happen to this baby!
I too have had an accident but the damage was repairable (see my thread "Don't Have a Collision") I too drive very defensively and have, at times, had to use unprintable language (for my ears only)!at some of the idiot drivers that can be found everywhere.

I live in Canada and when I am in FL to pick up a winter cruise I look longingly at all the clean, shiny cars knowing what our vehicles look like up here. Sigh.......

Sent from BimmerApp mobile appo

#8 ·
How did I miss this thread?!?!

Beautiful color combination, glad you found a viable option! I am partial to the Fineline Matt wood finish (never thought I would say that), but your interior looks very sophisticated with that color and trim...I would definitely be happy with it.

Hope you take delivery soon!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks Daders! She's a keeper!

#10 ·
Beautiful vehicle. I actually looked at this one when I was shopping for mine but had to pass because it was a 550 and I was set on a 535 for gas mileage (I have a long commute). Still, this is the nicest GT I saw in all my travels shopping for one in the last few months in Chicagoland. Congrats!

#11 ·
Thanks Kosd! I hear you on the engine choice for the sake of gas mileage. We pretty much only use this car for city driving and get killed on mpg. I wish that BMW has included the engine shut off feature on the 550s like they did on the 535. But yeah, the exterior/interior color combination on this car is really sophisticated and it was a Florida car so it has never seen a winter. We like it! What did you end up getting?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#14 ·
Looks nice and clean! What colour is that BSM or Graphite? Interior is black? Nappa or Dakota? Planning on doing anything cosmetic/performance to it? Matte black kidney grilles are the most inexpensive way to make the car look a lot more sporty and aggressive. Modbargains has some nice aftermarket ones (don't think OEM black grilles for the GT exist) for $100! Enjoy your new ride!

#15 ·
Thanks. It's dark graphite metallic with ivory white/black Dakota leather and ash grain wood trim.

No mods yet. All I have done is clay bar the whole vehicle, polish out the swirls and apply a polymer wax. Detailed the interior and waxed the wood trim for a little protection. Amazing how dirty it was after the dealership supposedly detailed it for delivery.

I'll take a look at the kidney grills. My next item is the BMW all weather rubber mats. I hate carpet mats in the chicago winters. I was disappointed to find out that weather tech doesn't make rubber mats for the F07. They do make the trays that cover all of the carpeting but I'd prefer rubber mats.

Also, I have bought a few cans of 3M paint defender and am planning to do the leading edge of the hood and the whole front bumper. I'll probably do that this weekend.

Attachments

#16 ·
Dark Graphite Metallic II just like mine! Score! The colour has grown on me over the past month or so since I bought the car... Initially I was missing the BSM of my previous GT but now that I too have had the car waxed and buffed and I think it looks great... It actually reminds me of the Daytona Grey that [I believe] is exclusive to Audi's RS line of cars... My friend had a Daytona Grey RS6 which I always thought was gorgeous so now I [we] have it on my [our] GTs!

As for the mats, I went with the WeatherTech "trays" are you call them for our brutal Chicago winters to protect the carpeting, however I currently have them only in the backseat, which is rarely used, except by our little 11 lb Havanese, and have the carpet mats up front. After the seemingly never ended 6+ month winter we had last year, I got sick of looking at them (they cheapen the look of the interior -- probably why you don't like them -- and was happy to go back to carpets in the front).

Glad to hear that you baby your car like I do mine.

Seeing that you live out in Naperville, I highly recommend Discount Tire on Route 59 for all your tire needs. Mike, the manager our there takes really good care of his customers, and hooked me up with a great deal on my Michelin Alpin PA4 winter tires. Anyway, look forward to swapping messages with you on this forum... #ChicagolandGTOwnersUnite!

#18 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the weather tech trays. I hesitated ordering a set because I thought they might have the effect of cheapening the interior. I'm going to order the BMW rubber mats today on eBay.

Funny that you mentioned the discount tire on rt 59 in Naperville. I live about 5 min from there and always use them. You are right, they always do a good job and I have dealt with mike before as well.

Small world!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.