BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How To Easily Find Information on Your E39 Topic Before Posting a New Thread

202K views 105 replies 59 participants last post by  bjflwrs1919 
#1 ·
Having been a member of this forum for awhile, I have noticed that many newer members post up a thread regarding their issue, question or problem without doing any research on their topic. Often times, these topics have been repeatedly addressed in the past and the responses are well documented (see the wiki). Long-time frustrated forum members often respond to these same questions/topics :banghead: with a sarcastic or curt response (Do a search!), which then makes the new member feel unwelcomed :cry: and may hinder future contribution. This is counterproductive to the long term quality of this forum which relies on contributions from anyone to reach the "best" answer, which often is not the same for everyone.

What I would like to do here is to provide some short, clear guidance for new members on how to best search for the information/answer they are seeking. If these methods do not result in a satisfactory result, then feel free to post up a new thread. While these tips may seem to be common sense for most folks, I suspect that many new members are unaware of how to best find information on the e39. Given that I have somewhat limited computer skills, I invite everyone, especially BlueBee, to add to this thread to provide their tips and tricks for others to find their answers.

1. Searching this Forum ***8211; Pretty much every topic regarding the e39 has been addressed in one form or another already. Much of this information, including DIYs are located in the wiki. Top search this forum:
a. Click the search tab arrow on the black bar above.
b. Click on Advanced Search
c. Identify any specific keywords you want to find in the Keyword box. Use "quotes" to find a specific phrase like "secondary air pump" or "Vanos seals".
d. If you know the user name associated with the thread or post, input that under User Name box.
e. In the Search In Forum box, scroll down to E39 (1997-2003) and highlight it.
f. You can limit your search by specifying constraints in the Find Threads With or Find Posts With boxes.
g. Click Search Now and it will generate your results.

2. Searching the Web ***8211; Google is your friend. A search will yield other BMW forums that may provide a better answer to your question. I personally think the 'Fest is the best, but that's just my $0.02.

I would like to ask that folks do not post any comments (good or bad) on this thread other than adding to the list of ways to find an answer. This will keep the thread shorter and more focused and efficient. If you have any comments or criticisms to what I am doing here, please start another thread and flame away :flame:!

Thanx! :roundel:

See less See more
#57 · (Edited)
Today someone asked about torque specs, and I pointed them to the canonical link in the bestlinks, which, in the olden days, often pointed to a specific post (in this case, an old canonical post with a dead URL from cn90) and they came back saying the torque spec document wasn't there (at that post).

But, they had not bothered to read the thread (they had just tried the URL that cn90 had provided in one post).

So, if you are reading this thread to figure out how to find things, please look at the ENTIRE thread if someone points you to a POST in a thread, if that post doesn't specifically answer your question.

Since we improve threads by incrementalization, over time, the THREAD (if not the POST) will contain everything you need to know, as was the case today...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > torque specs
op said:
hi, looking for head bolt torque spec for 1999 4.4 vanos
a url link to prove your readings would be nice too.
Typing /torque f3 in the bestlinks nets this...
- BMW Torque specifications
op said:
Ya that didn't help. Said the page was up for deleteation. Can anybody else pls help me find head bolt torque specs for 1999 vanos
Try this attachment (from that thread).
op said:
Ya that helps, thanks
Had you just looked at the thread, you would have found that same torque spec that Bobdmac kindly supplied in post #5 of the thread I had already pointed you to.

In addition, I had forgotten to mention that typing /torque_ (the underscore captures PDF files) in the bestlinks nets this:
- BMW_torque_values_for_all_bolts_1997.pdf (172.4 KB, 1164 views)

Which is also the same document.
Nonetheless, I'll update the canonical thread and bestlinks references so that it's more clear that the torque specs are available in that PDF.
op said:
In summary, if you want to find something:
- Look in the THREAD (in addition to the POST)
- Consider using underscores in the bestlinks search (if you're looking for a PDF document)

#59 ·
It's rare, nowadays, for an E39 to have a unique problem, but, there was one today which deserves note for how we handled it (by way of explaining the process)...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Removing radio from an e39 528i

1. Australian user asks how to remove 1996 e39 528i radio.
  2. QSilver and Edjack and JimLev do their part to assist
  3. Radio turns out to be IRIS style
  4. Bluebee searches and finds what's there for IRIS removal and then adds a bestlinks reference, so that the next person searching for IRIS radio removal procedures can more easily find the information provided by QSilver, Edjack, and JimLev, and the search results.
That new thread is now the "canonical" thread on IRIS removal, such that we should strive to cross reference new useful threads to that thread, for one-stop shopping for the next person with the same problem.

#61 · (Edited)
p0505 and p1523 my bmw 1999 528i is shaking

Hello I'm new to this site, and I need some insight with two codes i got on the obd Ii reader, well I'll first start by saying ive changed all my plugs and #6 coil and valve cover gasket. it stopped for 2 weeks and started back shaking again, since then i've changed the maf, camshaft position aculator intake and exhaust, oil change, I show 2 codes p0505 and p1523. The symptoms are it acts like its missing its a constant shake. I can go over 70mph but it shakes when i press the gas, recently I noticed my headlights flickering along with the skaking can someone please help......

#62 ·
Hello im new to this site, and i need some insight with two codes i got, well first ive changed my plugs and #6 coil and valve cover gasket, maf, camshaft position aculator, oil change, i show 2 codes p0505 and p1523 cqn someone please help......
Have you looked up the codes? Look them up at obd-codes.com. It could have something to do with your ICV.
Also, open up a new thread with your issue. It will get more attention.

#64 ·
I would recommend starting your own thread with your issue in the title. It is more likely to get attention and you're more likely to find a solution.
Have you checked your oil? Is it low? Does it look dark?

#67 ·
Today, I tried to help someone, where the bestlinks referred to a thread outside of Bimmerfest (which I don't do anymore) which turned out to be a dead link.

Worse, the best link I could find using a bimmerfest search referred to photos which were on an outside picture archive site (ImageShack), and, even worse than that, the links to the pictures came up with a strange out-of-locale error.

This is why, lately, I have been doing two things to prevent these problems in the future.

1. Bestlinks should link only to Bimmerfest threads, and, inside those canonical threads, they can then refer to outside links, and,
2. Any canonical thread in the bestlinks should have all its pictures preserved (locally) in that thread.

I ask others to preserve the pictures whenever they can (to spread the effort out a bit, as it is a pain to include someone else's pictures all the time).

For details, here is the actual thread today that prompted this, and the related response:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > -40 F on Display Panel

It's news to me that these two items would be related, so, for now, I'd either treat them separately, or, consider this a voltage issue with the electronics.

For details on the voltage issue, look here (found by typing /cluster f3 in the bestlinks)...
- One user's experience debugging a half-dead instrument cluster (1) which, after testing the fuses (1) battery & alternator (1) thankfully turned into an alternative battery search (1) and a simple battery replacement DIY (1)

For details on the -40 reading, typing /-40 f3 in the bestlinks nets this...
- Outside ambient temperature sensor reads -40° on the cluster (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to calibrate the ambient temp sensor (1) & how to change OBC MID IHKA KTMP temperature from degrees Celcius to Fahrenheit (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)

For details on the gas gauge, look here (found by typing /gas gauge f3 in the bestlinks)...
- How to troubleshoot your gas gauge sending unit (1)
It's news to me that these two items would be related, so, for now, I'd either treat them separately, or, consider this a voltage issue with the electronics.

For details on the voltage issue, look here (found by typing /cluster f3 in the bestlinks)...
- One user's experience debugging a half-dead instrument cluster (1) which, after testing the fuses (1) battery & alternator (1) thankfully turned into an alternative battery search (1) and a simple battery replacement DIY (1)

For details on the -40 reading, typing /-40 f3 in the bestlinks nets this...
- Outside ambient temperature sensor reads -40° on the cluster (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to calibrate the ambient temp sensor (1) & how to change OBC MID IHKA KTMP temperature from degrees Celcius to Fahrenheit (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)

For details on the gas gauge, look here (found by typing /gas gauge f3 in the bestlinks)...
- How to troubleshoot your gas gauge sending unit (1)
Drat.

I used to add outside links to the bestlinks, but, this one is dead, so, that's why I stopped linking to the outside directly (the link can be in the thread).

Now it's time to look for a new canonical troubleshooting the gas-gauge thread.

Running the obligatory e39-only title-only search (of course, assuming that any op who used a bad title probably has a bad thread, so we only look for good titles as a pragmatic matter), using the keywords 'gas gauge', we get 16 hits, none with greater than 31 hits, and only two with pictures.

Of those two, the first was easily the better thread, but the pictures were on a foreign site, which said "this content is not available for your location" (whatever that means). Luckily, I had re-posted the pictures (as I am wont to do) so that they'd be on Bimmerfest (they must hate me for the bandwidth I use in just the thousands of pictures alone) for as long as the thread is available.

I'll add a new bestlink to bimmerfest pointing to that thread (I can't edit the old links so I am forced to ADD links, which is why I generally search the bestlinks backwards, i.e., I use slash+keyword+shift+f3 instead of slash+keyword+f3.

In addition, in that newly linked-to thread, I'll add the 16 threads which were found, so that the next person looking to troubleshoot this problem can start where I left off and improve the newly canonical thread from there...

#68 ·
Here's a worst case scenario today, where the bestlinks references were all both outside of Bimmerfest, and far better than anything I could easily find on Bimmerfest. Sigh.
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > e39 4 spoke to 3 spoke sport steering wheel swap
I have a 2002 530i with a 11/2001 build date. I currently have the base 4 spoke steering wheel and want to upgrade to the 3 spoke sport one. from what I've read , i know (assume ) i have a dual stage airbag. What year (and build dates) e46 , e39, e53 & e38 steering wheels/airbags can i install?
At first I'd wonder why anyone would care how many spokes are on their steering wheel, but, as a quick test, I simply typed /steering wheel f3 in the bestlinks and this came up.
- How to retrofit a 4-spoke steering wheel to a 3-spoke M-Sport steering wheel (1) (2) (3) (4)

Unfortunately, all those are non-bimmerfest links, so, in order to help the OP improve upon our tribal knowledge, I'll unilaterally declare a bimmerfest link to be the canonical link for the conversion of a 4-spoke steering wheel to a 3-spoke steering wheel.

Running the obligatory title-only e39-only keyword search, using "steering wheel" as the keyword, I get too many hits (386), so I refined that search to "steering wheel retrofit", which nets a manageable 5 hits, one of which was:
- 97-98 Sport Steering Wheel retrofit question

That thread wasn't all that useful, so, I tried "steering wheel upgrade" (although, personally, I don't see how this is an "upgrade"), which came up with 7 hits, which the OP may peruse to see if they answer the question.

Having run those searches, I'd say there isn't a clear canonical DIY for the desired retrofit issues involved (which appears to have complications such as airbag, heating buttons, and other controls).

Given that situation, if the current OP decides to write a DIY, I'd be able to confidently link in the bestlinks the DIY to be written - but - until then - there really is no canonical thread that I can find in two or three minutes of searching for a good retrofit DIY on Bimmerfest.

Hence, the non-bimmerfest DIYs remain.

See also:
- How to identify a heated steering wheel (1) & how to retrofit to a 3-spoke M-Sport steering wheel (1) (2) (3) (4) & heated steering wheel mods (1) & restoring the life of an old steering wheel (1) (2) & where to buy the BMW steering wheel roundel (1) (2) (3) (4) (5).
Unsure of what to do, I simply added the OP's thread to the bestlinks, as the de-facto canonical thread, and, maybe, if we update it by incessant incrementalism, it would finally become a decent canonical thread, over time:

I didn't know what else to do that would add value ...
- How to identify a heated steering wheel (1) & how to retrofit to a 3-spoke M-Sport steering wheel (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & heated steering wheel mods (1) & restoring the life of an old steering wheel (1) (2) & where to buy the BMW steering wheel roundel (1) (2) (3) (4) (5).

#71 ·
Here's a worst case scenario today, where the bestlinks references were all both outside of Bimmerfest, and far better than anything I could easily find on Bimmerfest. Sigh.
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > e39 4 spoke to 3 spoke sport steering wheel swap

Unsure of what to do, I simply added the OP's thread to the bestlinks, as the de-facto canonical thread, and, maybe, if we update it by incessant incrementalism, it would finally become a decent canonical thread, over time:

I didn't know what else to do that would add value ...
- How to identify a heated steering wheel (1) & how to retrofit to a 3-spoke M-Sport steering wheel (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & heated steering wheel mods (1) & restoring the life of an old steering wheel (1) (2) & where to buy the BMW steering wheel roundel (1) (2) (3) (4) (5).
Bluebee,

Im not sure if you followed the thread but I ended doing the swap. Take a look at the last post on the thread and see if you feel it will help e39 facelift owners. I included a pictures that should help pre and post facelift owners identify single and dual stage airbags.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840628

Best regards,

Alex

#69 · (Edited)
By way of explanation, every once in a while, a truly rare problem pops up, such as this aux fan explosion thread today...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Aux fan EXPLOSION!??

Luckily, there was a link found by typing /aux fan f3 in the bestlinks, namely...
- DIY for how to replace the auxiliary fan (1) (2) (3) & how to test the cooling system auxiliary electrical fan (1) (2) & the infamous fuse 75 (1) & the aux fan relay (1) & an exploding aux fan noise situation (1)

But, looking at that link, there wasn't much information.

So, as I am wont to do, to save others the time and effort, I ran the obligatory "exploding aux fan" and "aux fan explode" keyword search, and found almost nothing (since this is a rare issue).

Given that, and realizing that one search can save others time, I ran a title-only e39-only search for "aux fan", and picked out likely suspects, and added THEM to that canonical thread, so that others can start where we left off (and then run their own searches from there).

In that process, I found a couple additional disintegrating aux fan blade threads, and added THEM to that canonical thread.

In this way, one thread provides a user with all that is available, on bimmerfest anyway, at the current time.

I also ran a standard google image search for similar keywords, and appended that information.

#70 ·
Today, an unusual issue came up, mostly, I think, because the OP is ignoring anecdotal statistics and insisting on throwing parts at the problem:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > ?; Replacing charcoal canister

Nonetheless, the problem for the bestlinks is that there was no canonical thread on debugging the evap purge valve (aka fuel tank breather valve) combined with the charcoal canister debugging.

So, as I am wont to do, I searched (as shown below), where the fuzzy algorithm for declaring the canonical thread is based on number of posts and photos, and intent.

Now that a canonical purge valve thread is defined, we can update "it" with all the cross references, for one-stop shopping for the next person wishing to test the purge valve (or to throw parts at the problem)...

Separately, I'll search for a canonical purge valve thread to link to in the bestlinks, so that the next person finds purge valve information easier.
Running the Bimmerfest-only E39-only title-only search for "purge valve", nets only 11 threads, these two of which contained both pictures and a decent number of posts:
- DIY purge valve/fuel tank breather valve
- Purge control valve vac hose help!

While these two contained pictures, but not many posts:
- Purge valve sensor
- EVAP Purge Valve Flow

Given the first above is a DIY, and that it has the most posts, I'm going to unilaterally declare it the "canonical" thread on the "purge valve" by placing it in a keyword-rich sentence in the bestlinks, so that others find this more easily in the future (and so that we can cross reference new purge-valve information to that thread, over time, so that it improves by incessant incrementalism):
- Debugging the gasoline evap purge valve sensor and purge control valve evaporative emissions fuel system vapor recovery P0440 P0441 P0442 P0444 P0445 P0446 P0451 P1403 and other fuel tank breather valve and gas cap leak obd codes (1) & a fuel injection LDP leak detection pump DIY (1) & a fuel system charcoal canister R&R DIY (1) & where is the fuel tank breather valve located (1) & tricks for resolving the P0455 diagnostic trouble code when the missing gas cap is replaced (1) & does spilled gasoline really go into the charcoal canister via the two steel vent holes in the fuel filler canister at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position and why is there a hole in the 6 o'clock position of my fuel filler hole rubber gasket (1)

#72 ·
Squeaking on driver (left) when steering wheel is turned

Recently we, in Houston Texas, have had a rash of storms that have flooded many streets. Fortunately I have not experienced any high water while commuting to work. Yes, there has been small pools I have driven through (maybe 2-3 inches deep). Three days ago I noticed a squeaking sound when I turned the steering wheel. At first I thought it was power steering related. Yesterday I jacked both front wheels off the ground and with the engine running discovered that the sound was coming from the steering linkage. I did a search and found nothing related to squeaking when turning the steering wheel. I have a 2000 540I with 130,000 miles. The sound is definitely coming from some part of the steering linkage on the left side of the car. Any help resolving this problem is appreciated.

#74 ·
This discussion over here today on a "can't open trunk" thread points out some of the faults and workarounds to finding relevant material on Bimmerfest...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Trunk shut no battery cannot open
A better question is why is this even being asked? The same question was asked in 2009 and commented on yet again just 1 hour before he asked the same thing. Right here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401683

Which of course brings us back to reading and searching before you ask the same thing. Right here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593548
In this case...I'm more forgiving in that this is the OP's first post to the forum. The learning curve is fresh. We all start somewhere...and for a noob...there will be things to learn. :)
Which is exactly why the very first thread on this page is made specifically for noobs and noobs only and specifically states "read me first" before posting your question. Since we all start somewere, that should be the spot to start. It is the first link on the page. Geez Louise. Yes, there are things to learn and that should be the first thing to learn and well as the best of links below it where he can read to his hearts content. Or we can agree to support and condone ignorance.

The learning curve is fresh? What does that even mean?
I'm with you. I too asked a few "already answered ... many times" questions when I began on this forum. And the OP deserves credit for A) asking instead of demanding help, B) writing in complete sentences with a train of thought that a reader could follow. Quite a contrast to many. I hope s/he hasn't been scared off.

OP - we are mostly a friendlier bunch than your first experience would indicate. Let us know how the trunk issue works out for you.
BTW, the key locks have a habit of seizing up from lack of use. If yours are frozen, some thin spray lube and time working the key will free them up. There are several threads on the issue ... and now you have an idea how to find them. :rofl:
Many "details" can get lost into the "that's obvious" category, but unfortunately many noobs don't think a lot of it is that obvious or they wouldn't have so many questions.

Example: There is a fire hydrant in front of the house across the street and yet their son's girlfriend is ALWAYS parking in front of it. It is obvious to most older people that you are not supposed to park there, but because it is so obvious you have to wonder if they explain that in drivers education (for the record, my 17yo son says yes they do where he took the class).

So Bluebee, keep typing out all the details because there will always be someone who will appreciate it. And good job beating Q...and you are all the way over in California hours behind him.
Before the internet there was the Owner's Manual, a wonderful publication that all new owners should take the time to read the first day they take possession. So many questions are answered in this book. I have no problem with those who come here to this forum for information, but wouldn't it be quicker to open the glove box?
Sad, but most used Bimmers these days are passed along sans owner's manual, and only one key (the car came with four).
Dee- you were right on and many of us were WRONG. However, may I ask you something? Does it get to you that you put so much work into *packaging* all these canonical posts and yet they seem to be ignored when everything one needs to know is in one place? I know you personally put considerable time and effort into doing so, yet some can find and others can't....this brings me to a question that does NOT relate to your canonical threads.

What is the secret "key" to the algorithm used in *both* forum search functions? Any one have more specific tips as I use occasionally with VERY MIXED results, so it begs the question "what does the search engine want from a user"? I put in some short, specific, "key" words in the simple search and often gets 5 or 6 posts listed that have none of the words I insert in the search box in the title, the topic is completely off, and I must assume that somewhere in one of the reply posts someone has used my key words likely out of the context I am seeking. Other times, I get "fair success" as at least the threads returned *may be* on topic if I select the right thread returned. Don't mean this to run off-topic as I am sure I already have, but when I see posts like the OP posted, it begs the question is there a better way to find your threads on these topics Bee? I personally find yours easily, but I use them regularly so I understand the simple process. Can the search function within a "canned forum infrastructure" be updated to a more functional search function? I guess only if whoever designed wants to work on these older formats?? The "battery dead and can't open trunk" is just such a frequent topic and so many answers exist; it is just a shame people can't seem to find. I am not so sure anymore that none of these newbies don't try at all. They may just not get good search results? I'm flipping on myself- must be mellowing in my old age. Just some thoughts from those who frequently use the search function and have they found a method that works with the algorithm to get more consistent "on topic" results. Again, sorry to hi-jack, but believe topic has been addressed well and I just post whatever is on my mind, wherever! My bad for sure. Apologies to the forum. Depending on answers, I can make a new thread. Bill

AFTER-THOUGHT: I would vote that bees canonical threads warrant their own "STICKY" which in no way says that Doru's and other's posts are not equally valuable, but maybe we consider another sticky for the collective data Bee has assembled?
searching the forums is almost a futile effort, I rarely ever bother if you do not have the right keyword it's not gonna work it's not a real robust search function
Its not just the lack of a search, the prior post entitled "Cannot open trunk? No power" was commented on just one hour before he posted his question. Therefore he should have been looking right at that fresh post on the same page when he click on "new thread".
I don't have a problem with someone who faces an immediate issue asking for our expertise. I am the lind of guy who will always RTFM, but there is a lot of info there, and it is not always that clear. (Try to understand the HVAC system with only one reading). And search does not work that well with more than one word to be searched.

I hope the OP solved his/her problem.

#75 ·
We all may have a different response to the issues above, and I don't claim to have the only solution, but here are some of my workarounds to the very real issues listed above...

I understand your point, which is fair enough that searching for "battery dead" or "key locked in trunk" is going to get you a zillion hits. It will even get a million hits if you limit it to E39-only and title-only filters.

You could, if you knew enough, additionally add a filter of, say, 'cn90' or 'QSilver7', or '540iman', etc., but a noob would never know enough to have that kind of finesse.

But, that's EXACTLY why typing /battery dead f3 in the bestlinks is such a great workaround to that problem. It only finds hits that someone deemed valuable enough to include in the bestlinks, and, it does that in less than a second or two.

Personally, I don't believe most of what people say (probably more than half is made up) especially when they say "I searched and searched". Just as when someone says "I replaced all four wheel speed sensors", the only two possibilities are (a) they're morons, or, (b) they're telling us a fib.

There is no other possibility, and they never supply the links or pictures, so, I lean more toward they're telling us a fib than they're so moronic as to run searches for "battery dead" and still find nothing.

My supply of "salt" for use when noobs post, is getting larger and larger as I age ...
There is an emotional involvement, that does get to me, every once in a while.
It's especially irksome when I post links, and the people don't click on them - yet - they ask the very same questions that are already answered in the links.

While this happens daily, if it happens too many times in a single thread, I generally "solve" the problem by putting the person on Iggy. In the beginning, I was very selective about iggy - but - now - if the OP doesn't make sense, I put 'em on iggy because I have learned that some people can't be helped the way I help.

Of course, the way others help (such as QSilver, for example), is to PATIENTLY provide the answer the person asks sans editorial - which I don't have the patience for.

Likewise, Bill recently was exasperated trying to teach someone I had put on iggy a week or two before Bill became frustrated himself - the op was that helpless - so, in the end, it's a GOOD THING we all have DIFFERENT personalities because we approach the noobs differently.

And, as stated, we were all once noobs too.
I found out early that the search function suffers from two huge flaws, one of which we all have solved, the other of which I only have a workaround for.

The first huge flaw is that too much garbage pops up. For example, if you type "brake job" into the search function, you'll get a million hits, and most of them stink. Many are even wrong.

Our "workaround" to that problem is Chivas' bestlinks thread, which I don't need to elaborate upon other than to say you type /brake f3 and voila, you get a thread that has been updated over the years, to contain exactly what is needed.

The second huge flaw shows its ugly face when you need information on a topic that is not in the bestlinks. Usually it's something I don't care about, such as bling or turbochargers or tires or wheels or poser M5 conversions, etc.

While the problem is the same, that too much garbage results from the search, the way I workaround that is to ONLY use the E39-only and the title-only search feature, with my keywords (usually more than one keyword).

This search only finds threads with "good titles", of course:
- Why we should use descriptive titles instead of single word or ubiquitous multi-word subject lines (1)

But, my hypothesis is that people who write bad titles also write bad threads (and vice versa).
I agree that the unadulterated search stinks, but, a title-only e39-only search generally pops up good stuff (as does a bestlinks thread-only keyword search).

I'll give you an example of the 'in-your-face' answer from a stripped spark plugs thread today.

1. The OP asks about the problem (which is fair enough).
2. I provide the classic helicoil/timesert and Bosch-popping-out related links.
3. The OP continues to ask questions so I ask for pictures.
4. To the OP's credit, pictures are forthcoming (guess what? Bosch plugs!)
5. The OP asks "why" it happened and I tell the OP that question was already answered, twice (once by his own pictures).
6. He posts back that he doesn't get it.

Now in this case, I give the OP a little slack because I was being slightly clever by giving the thread (which only mentions that it's common with Bosch plugs INSIDE the thread - which the OP would have had to READ in order to get that datapoint).

But still - had the OP actually READ the thread I pointed him to in the second post of his thread, the fact that Bosch plugs pop out all the time would have been obvious to him. So, it's obvious to me that either the OP (a) didn't read the thread, or (b) isn't all that intelligent, and therefore must be spoon fed more directly (with an intravenous tube).

#76 · (Edited)
This conversation today shows that not all users are aware that the most efficient use of the bestlinks pretty much requires the user understand how to search within a thread.

To remind users, there are two easy ways to search within a thread, both of which are described in post #6 above.
1. Use the forum-provided "Search this thread" button.
2. Use the operating system keyboard shortcut for the FIND & NEXT feature (e.g., Control-F and F3 on Windows & Linux, Command-F on Mac, "/" and F3 in Firefox)

I just tried to find the thread on brake warping as I have a set of rotors I could not get re-bedded in, I got mad and gave up
If you can type /warp f3, then you'll find, in about 2 seconds, all that you could ever want to know about brake warp.

For example, I just typed /warp f3 in the bestlinks, and this came up instantly...
- How do you measure physically deformed rotor distortion often incorrectly termed "warp" (1) & the truth about so-called rotor "warp" (1)
well it don't work, all I get is this line, which are all links to external sites

- Brake warp, shudder, and rebedding ... (including violent low-speed shuddering)

this is why I do not use the bestlinks post
Personally, I use the operating system FIND/NEXT shortcut method.
However, if the user has the control panel options set to less than the maximum, the bestlinks is so long that they will miss items in that operating system FIND/NEXT search.
<keyword>What I do, and what I recommend others do, is set the Bimmerfest account control panel option to view 80 posts per page.
That way, the operating system FIND/NEXT feature will search, in a split second, the entire bestlinks, in one fell swoop.

NOTE: A side issue is that the bestlinks is getting close to 80 posts long (however, there are at least a half dozen off-topic wholly-unrelated garbage posts which can be moved by a moderator).

Here is a graphic I just made which shows the 3 steps to set your control panel options to the maximum number of posts per page.

EDIT: Setting the number of posts per view to the maximum also drastically reduces the number of pages any particular canonical thread has (which is a good thing); I'm sure it also increases the time to load a page (but, with today's modern Internet speeds, I'm not sure how much of a disadvantage that is).
</keyword>

#77 ·
One by one, I'm replacing the older bestlinks reference which go offsite, to newer ones which are on this site, and hence, updateable.
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > E39 540i A/C compressor replacement
I love this thread, and was just about to cross reference it to whatever the canonical air conditioner replacement DIY thread was, when, to my shock and horror, I realized all the air-compressor replacement diys in the bestlinks refer to off-site threads, which can't be updated...
- BMW E39 V8 air conditioner compressor replacement DIY (1)

So, without further ado, I will ADD a new cross reference, pointing to this thread, so that, in the future, we can both point others here, and update as needed with new and cross referenced information.

See also:
- BMW E39 V8 air conditioner compressor replacement DIY (1) & a Pelican a/c compressor rebuild (1) & an ac hose rebuilding service (1) & what air conditioner refrigerant & PAG oil to use (1) & how to refill your A/C system (1) (2) (3) (4) & what to use to rid yourself of the BMW gym sock stink (1) & how to diagnose A / C compressor knocking sounds (1)

#78 ·
Sigh. Even with this thread, which, pretty much, is about as much as one can spoon feed another, there are still folks with almost 500 posts who don't understand what I mean when I type /keyword f3 in the bestlinks...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Newbie disaster
I've got programming issues in two of the ews modules. I don't understand the "/"keyword" thing for searching, in best of. I never get any results. Something I need to know?
+1. Neither do I. Can you explain step by step what you mean BB? Thanks!
What more can we do?

#79 ·
The question came up today on how I decide to cross reference a new thread to an existing canonical thread - so - I put my explanation of the admittedly flawed system here, for cross reference...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > What can I have done at the alignment shop to reduce my drastic E39 inside tire wear?
No system is perfect, and the bestlilnks/canonical cross-reference system isn't perfect.

It's a compromise of my time versus thread utility.

Truth be told, I use an informally fuzzy algorithm to cross reference depending on whether the topic is:
a) Discussed commonly & has a good answer already, or,
b) Discussed commonly but it does not yet have a good answer, or,
c) Not commonly discussed (usually doesn't have a good answer either).
d) Almost any thread from cn90, QSilver7, JimLev, 540iman, etc.

Given that, here's my fuzzy algorithm for deciding what to comment.

COMMON TOPIC WITH REALLY GOOD ANSWER ALREADY:
If the topic is discussed commonly but already has a great answer (e.g., ABS trifecta, FSU, wiper blade refills, violent vibration upon braking, vapor barriers, DISA valve repair, seat twist repair, window regulators, rear tailllight melting, trunk loom fraying, etc.), I almost never cross reference every post I see unless that xref has some really good and new information.

COMMON TOPIC WITH LOUSY ANSWER SO FAR:
If the topic is common, but the answer is still up in the air (e.g., VANOS seals, causes of tire wear, causes of vibration, misfire diagnosis, causes of oil leaks, timersert repairs, causes of any particular DTC, etc.), I sometimes cross reference, usually if the thread starts developing in a good direction, but, I don't have infinite time so, I sometimes assume it will develop.

UNCOMMONLY DISCUSSED:
If the topic is relatively rare (e.g., recently there were Bosch spark plug blowing out issues, missing battery positive cable covers, catalytic converter fails, v8 vs i6 oil cap part numbers, japanese BMW cluster codes, etc.), I ALWAYS cross reference, because we need all the information we can get - and we'll never find these in a search when we need them.

In that latter two cases, I don't have the time (nor documentation system) nor expertise to watch the thread for days or even weeks or months to see what develops. So, I pop in a cross reference, and, move on to the next thread, hoping (assuming) the cross reference will develop.

Of course, almost any thread started by Fudman, QSilver7, cn90, JimLev, etc., will develop nicely, so, I almost always cross reference them (and often make them the canonical thread to cross reference to).

In summary, it's an imperfect system, and it depends on everyone making the threads useful, over time.

#80 ·
In case someone wonders why I don't maintain the wiki, my answer is here today...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5> E46 (1999 - 2006) > Valve Cover Gasket Replacement
Bluebee, that thread is incredibly helpful; I didn't know it existed.

Would you consider summarizing what's in there and adding it as a section to the Wiki? I don't feel qualified to do it, or I'd do it myself.
I decided long ago I put too much effort already into maintaining the bestlinks (which is more than a bunch of links as it also means I maintain the hundreds of canonical threads it points to).

So, I let others maintain the wiki!
It's a strategic decision to maintain my sanity.

#81 ·
A newbie opened a nice first introductory post, which listed the expected repairs, and, to help out, we each provided hints, which I provide below, by way of example, how even a newbie can find how to fix a plethora of problems, starting on someone else's shoulders...

Just purchased my first BMW as a sort of project. 1997 528i 5speed, JetBlack/black 150k

She's a basket case of lots of small issues:
1. needs clutch
2. needs brakes
3. needs shocks/struts
4. needs tires (has stock 15's- maybe a wheel tire upgrade?) Mismatched tires - 2 off brand tires- new, 1 continental - new, 1 -bad tire with hole, 1 full sized spare dryrotted
5. needs new driver door handle
6. needs driver cabin weatherstrip
7. ABS trifecta
8. Only have 1 remote key (would like an extra and maybe a valet- just in case)
9. passenger window regulator?
10. both mirrors with brown surround
11. headlights faded
12. etc....

Those are just a few of the issues....
...I'd recommend starting with a quick browse through the 3 sticky threads at the top of the forum page. It will give you an idea of the information and DIYs available. It should help you decide on the priority items to tackle first....
Just read forums, get a paper and pencil and make notes, bookmarks etc.

Then prioritize based on:
- Safety (i.e. fix brake problem first), For example, I'd overhaul the entire brake system: 6 hoses and all caliper seals/boots, info in forum I posted a while back.
- Budget
- Your free time
Let's trade.
I'll give you some links, and, when you repair that item, you post your results to the affected thread, so that others benefit from all that you do.
1. needs clutch
Typing /clutch shift-f3 in the bestlinks nets this:
- DIY for changing the I6 manual transmission clutch (1) or the V8 clutch (1) or a BMW M5 clutch DIY (1) & how long does the OEM LUK BMW dual-mass flywheel last (1) & a CDV delete by removing or modifying the manual transmission clutch delay valve (1) (2) (3) (4) & brake & clutch hydraulic fluid (1)
2. needs brakes
Typing /brakes shift-f3 in the bestlinks nets this:
- What brake pads are most often recommended (1) & what brake rotors are most often recommended (1)
3. needs shocks/struts
Typing /shocks nets this:
- Most popular E39 shocks/struts (1) (2) (3) & an E39 suspension survey (1)
4. needs tires
Typing /tires shift-f3 in the bestlinks nets this:
- How to logically choose tires by the numbers (1) (2) or by recommendations (1) & where to buy your tires in the USA (0) ...
5. needs new driver door handle
Typing /door handle nets this:
- How to replace the exterior door handle in the BMW E39 (1) & where to find metal interior door handle levers for broken E39 chromed plastic interior door handles (1)
6. needs driver cabin weatherstrip
Typing /weatherstrip nets this:
- Replacing the door weatherstripping (1)
7. ABS trifecta
Typing /trifecta nets this:
- How to run the canonical quick test of the ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1)
8. Only have 1 remote key
Typing /key nets this:
- What to do if you lost your only diamond key (1)
9. passenger window regulator?
Typing /regulator nets this:
- One user's effort to diagnose, rebuild, and replace a BMW E39 front driver side door window regulator (1) and how to remove a BMW E39 front passenger side door window regulator (1)
10. both mirrors with brown surround
Typing /mirror nets this:
- What is that brown discoloration color of my heated side view mirrors (1)
11. headlights faded
Typing /headlights nets this:
- Headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIY (1) & replacing just the headlight lens (1)
12. etc....
Typing /etc nets this... :) (jk)
----- repairs -----
Behr cooling system leaking
Plastic DISA valve breaking & destroying the engine
Cluster pixel tape lifting
MID pixel tape lifting
Hella PBT headlight adjusters breaking
Power steering cap & hose leaking
Trunk wiring loom fraying
CCV clogging
Bosch ABS control module frying
Cupholders breaking
I6 VANOS seals deteriorating
V8 valley pan gaskets leaking
GKR/BMW/Valeo FSU/FSR dying
Thrust arm bushings leaking
Ambient temperature sensor breaking
Window regulators breaking
Vapor barrier adhesive leaking
Jack pads falling off
Windshield cover molding crumbling
Driver's seat control switch breaking
Rear center brakelight socket melting
Seat cables fall out causing seat twist
Windshield washer tanks & pumps leaking
BMW roundel paint chipping
Vent trim corner cracking & wood trim varnish cracking
----- maintenance -----
150K mile maintenance checklist & parts to periodically clean
Check and replace all fluids
Common engine misfires diagnosed & cold start misfires identified
The most recommended brake pads and rotors purchased & installed
Battery tested & the most often recommended battery & installation
Spark plugs bought & replaced
Check & align & mount and balance wheels
O-rings & gaskets & bulbs & vacuum hoses & fuses & wiper blade inserts & belts & bearings & oil filters & cabin air filters & engine air filters to stock
----- tools -----
Common tools needed for the E39 & an obdii DTC scanner & an SRS reset tool & accurate measurement tools & specialty cooling system tools
The point, for newbies, is that that, in most cases, typing a single word is sufficient to find what you need, and, that single word is typically the first word you'd use, yourself, to describe the issue.

#86 · (Edited)
A newbie opened a nice first introductory post, which listed the expected repairs, and, to help out, we each provided hints, which I provide below, by way of example, how even a newbie can find how to fix a plethora of problems, starting on someone else's shoulders...

The point, for newbies, is that that, in most cases, typing a single word is sufficient to find what you need, and, that single word is typically the first word you'd use, yourself, to describe the issue.
Hi where can I find post or threads re: A/C (air conditioning)problems?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.