BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

First e60 now e90....BMW Firmly Plowing Ahead

8K views 102 replies 32 participants last post by  Chris90 
#1 ·
So many people hating on the new designs of the E60 and E90. Very very very happy to see they went with a pretty much identical feel for the E90.

BMW is firmly moving ahead with this awesome drastic new styling, and I'm loving it.

Sorry to see so many dislike the E90 as well. Just remember people, that old 3 series of yours was lambasted as looking like an Accord in the mid 90s by the BMW faithful! New generation, time to move on. :)

#2 ·
dakoowa said:
So many people hating on the new designs of the E60 and E90. Very very very happy to see they went with a pretty much identical feel for the E90.

BMW is firmly moving ahead with this awesome drastic new styling, and I'm loving it.

Sorry to see so many dislike the E90 as well. Just remember people, that old 3 series of yours was lambasted as looking like an Accord in the mid 90s by the BMW faithful! New generation, time to move on. :)
I thought this was going to be about bmw's and understeer.....

Alex

#5 ·
sweylo said:
I thought it was going to be about BMW firmly plowing ahead with their plans to transform their previously driver-oriented interiors into something that resembles the interior of a Buick.
Haha. Sorry it's just cracking me up.

Going on 3 years now and so many people are in denial while people like myself see the old BMWs and cringe, while listening to our Logic 7 radios, using great voice recognition and wireless blue tooth phones.

#6 ·
dakoowa said:

Going on 3 years now and so many people are in denial while people like myself see the old BMWs and cringe, while listening to our Logic 7 radios, using great voice recognition and wireless blue tooth phones.
Amen brother

#7 ·
sweylo said:
I thought it was going to be about BMW firmly plowing ahead with their plans to transform their previously driver-oriented interiors into something that resembles the interior of a Buick.
I thought this was about a car company making cars that push the boundaries of Performance, Design and cars that people want to drive and buy so the value of the company improves. I don't race my car, i don't drive 100mph all day....i use my car to travel and i enjoy its performance,looks,value...i could buy all these attributes in a cheaper car but i want a BMW....i will be buying a new 3 (or perhaps a Certified 5 soon)....and i will enjoy it....if i ever have the ability to buy a car for Performance reasons only then i may find the new BMW's lacking...but i buy a car for overall appeal and these cars deliver to the great unwashed masses....sorry to the Original Enthusiasts.

---cg----

#8 ·
paul_tracyposer said:
I thought this was about a car company making cars that push the boundaries of Performance, Design and cars that people want to drive and buy so the value of the company improves. I don't race my car, i don't drive 100mph all day....i use my car to travel and i enjoy its performance,looks,value...i could buy all these attributes in a cheaper car but i want a BMW....i will be buying a new 3 (or perhaps a Certified 5 soon)....and i will enjoy it....if i ever have the ability to buy a car for Performance reasons only then i may find the new BMW's lacking...but i buy a car for overall appeal and these cars deliver to the great unwashed masses....sorry to the Original Enthusiasts.

---cg----
Yup, well said. I am a tech geek and my 545 is unbelivably tech hip. Works with my bluetooth phone, voice recognition, cool LCD screen.....funky mouse like device by the stickshift........just "uber" (haha i'm sure all the older folks cringe reading that word).

To top if off the thing is ridiculously fast, so it gives me a rush if i feel like suddenly going 90 MPH in those rare times when there is no traffic on the DC area highways.

I've had a Mercedes E500 in the past, Lexus GS400 and this car just rocks them both.

#9 ·
dakoowa said:

BMW is working on a one-spoke steering wheel for you fellas. :D

G
#10 ·
dakoowa said:

What does any of that sh*t have to do with the driving experience?

If I wanted all of that sh*t, I'd but a Lexus or a Mercedes. BMW *used* to be about the drive. Nothing else.

I guess there's more money in selling gadgets to geeks than selling great driving performance sedans to enthusiasts.

#11 · (Edited)
TD said:

If I wanted all of that sh*t, I'd but a Lexus or a Mercedes. BMW *used* to be about the drive. Nothing else.

I guess there's more money in selling gadgets to geeks than selling great driving performance sedans to enthusiasts.
Yup. Live with it. :)

Personally part of the driving experience to me is all the neato gadgets combined with the speed.

If ya ask me BMW was just behind the curve in many aspects, which is why people always said MB was better than BMW. I don't agree with that anymore, I think BMW has surpassed MB in many aspects now. :)

G
#12 ·
dakoowa said:
Yup. Live with it. :)

Personally part of the driving experience to me is all the neato gadgets combined with the speed.

If ya ask me BMW was just behind the curve in many aspects, which is why people always said MB was better than BMW. I don't agree with that anymore, I think BMW has surpassed MB in many aspects now. :)
I think many here would agree with me when I say MB can have you.

But, really, this just shows how far BMW has fallen.

#13 ·
The original posting being about exterior design, I too like BMWs recent output. The 7 was a disaster (and the revamp is no better) but the 5 is probably the best looking sedan on the road right now. Especially compared to the lame recent output of competitors like Merc (toyota) and Audi (going backwards).

#15 ·
Dawg90 said:
BMW is working on a one-spoke steering wheel for you fellas. :D
They might be able to get some left-overs from Citroen... :) My old Citroen SM... that was a car that could plow... :rofl:

I'm waiting to see an E90 in person before I pass judgement. However, most cars today have too many electronic toys that will cause the owner grief. Give me less toys and more driving experience - a balance of good engine performance, handling and stopping ability. I spent most of my trip back from Montreal last night listening to the 330's engine sound - who needs a radio? :)

(Before anyone asks, I am tech savvy - been writing software for a very long time, ugh. :p )

#17 ·
gojira-san said:
They might be able to get some left-overs from Citroen... :) My old Citroen SM... that was a car that could plow... :rofl:

I'm waiting to see an E90 in person before I pass judgement. However, most cars today have too many electronic toys that will cause the owner grief. Give me less toys and more driving experience - a balance of good engine performance, handling and stopping ability. I spent most of my trip back from Montreal last night listening to the 330's engine sound - who needs a radio? :)

(Before anyone asks, I am tech savvy - been writing software for a very long time, ugh. :p )
Much better stated. I guess I come from a different camp, I've worked/owned for a number of programming firms since the mid 90s.

I can't get ENOUGH tech gadgets in my cars. I absolutely love them, anything that makes my life easier/more fun is great! I don't know of anything BMW has put in their car which hasn't improved my "driving experience". The voice recognition is very good, which always makes me happy since I've invested in this technology in the past......and it's nice to be able to say "RADIO ON!" while stuck in heavy traffic. Also nice to be able to talk to my wife via the bluetooth phone interface with both hands on the wheel.

The nav system is also very nice to have when trying to find that out of the way specialty shop 40 miles from home.......better than toting the old mapquest printout. How any of these features compromise one's driving experience is confusing.

Someone hinted that I'm a one spoke steering wheel kind of guy, yet most people (including him) modify their cars like college students do with their civics........so to me I would think the "anti" tech guys would be the more likely to have these. But again, a difference in taste. Not sure how a 4000 dollar nav option equates to liking a 30 dollar steering wheel from an auto parts store.

#19 ·
TD said:

Or better yet, majority of new BMW buyers are just prestigious badge buyers. BMW is losing it core buyers and they know this. "I'd be much happier if we had the same sales figures without being told we are deserting our core customers." - Hamlmut Panke

#20 ·
They can add all of the electronic fluff they want to, as long as I can option my car without it. Thank goodness I-drive and active steering is optional, for now...

#21 ·
Sean said:
Or better yet, majority of new BMW buyers are just prestigious badge buyers. BMW is losing it core buyers and they know this. "I'd be much happier if we had the same sales figures without being told we are deserting our core customers." - Hamlmut Panke
You're from Tennessee looking at your details. Come up to the Northeast cities, every fourth car you see in the DC area is a Benz, BMW or Audi. Far from a prestige badge, more like a comfortable fun car to sit in during traffic.

That's the "driving experience" in DC........being stuck in traffic. Although I do get to rev my engine for a few blocks when I get close to home.

#22 ·
Wow I was right all along, most normal "non-enthusiasts" buyers really aren't concerned with the "BMW driving experience". Their priority list would go BMW badge, technology fluff, luxury package, big bling wheels, styling, and finally driving performance with *0-60 times a main concern.

*Then they find out a lowly Honda or Ford can beat them off the stoplight
and start whining about 3 series 0-60 times. :rofl:

#23 ·
Artslinger said:
Wow I was right all along, most normal "non-enthusiasts" buyers really aren't concerned with the "BMW driving experience". Their priority list would go BMW badge, technology fluff, luxury package, big bling wheels, styling, and finally driving performance with *0-60 times a main concern.

*Then they find out a lowly Honda or Ford can beat them off the stoplight
and start whining about 3 series 0-60 times. :rofl:
LOL.

Hate to break it to you guys but I grew up with my parents only owning BMWs and Mercedes, same with my grandparents. Kind of a family thing I guess.

And not a damn one of them drove 80 miles per hour on windy roads, they just took them to work in Manhattan.

The "driving experience" for most people is toll roads and parking garages. :) But it's fun to go fast sometiems on the weekend.......but that doesn't mean people wanna drive in a NASCAR internal setting devoid of any entertainment devices during the week while sitting in traffic.

Don't you find it ironic you're sitting here arguing about computer devices on your car on a computer message board devoted to your car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.