BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

550 M-Package Best Tires?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  JT 550i SD 
#1 ·
I need to replace the tires on my 2012 550 w/ M Sports Package. The dealership quoted north of 2K prior to alignment, balancing, etc. (I will find another source.)

I currently have Dunlops and have had decent success with them. Has anyone had experience with both Dunlops and Michelins? I am looking for the best highway tires.

Thanks

#2 ·
Are you looking for Run Flat or non Run Flat?

Non Run Flat - many have bought Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Continental DW or DWS. I have the DWS and they are perfect for all season tires. They are also very quiet and are durable in potholes of NYC. You can get them on tirerack for about $200?

#3 ·
I hate to admit it, but I'm very happy with the Michelin Primacy HP ZP tires on my 2013 car. Quiet, smooth ride, etc.

I replaced the absolutely abysmal Goodyear "Excellence" tires on my 2011 with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, and they were VERY loud in the road in comparison.

#4 ·
If you are comparing the OE Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT DSST vs Michelin Primacy HP ZP...
then go with Michelin Primacy if you are looking for more comfort.

#5 ·
I have had both. NO CONTEST - BEST TIRE FOR YOUR CAR (non-winter) is the Michelin Pilot Super-Sport. Run-flats kill the handling and all-season tires are for Toyota Camrys. If you want to see what your car is really capable of, get the Michelin Super Sports. The Conti's are good, the Michelins are great - either are better than all seasons and/or run-flats of ANY brand.

It seems silly to me to invest in the car you have to not be able to really enjoy it. The right tires really DO make a big difference on this car.

#8 ·
I have had both. NO CONTEST - BEST TIRE FOR YOUR CAR (non-winter) is the Michelin Pilot Super-Sport.
I can only confirm that my experience matches this 100%.

Thanks for the responses. I am not opposed, actually would prefer to go away from the run flats. For those who have, do you haul a spare wheel in your trunk or call a tow truck?

If you have a spare is there a full size universal wheel that works well?
For about max 50 miles from home I use 12V compressor and goo. And the cell phone, of course, if all else fails.

For road trip I have space saver spare. I already have 8 full-size wheels because I change winter/summer tires, but that doesn't work well when you go on the road trip and need trunk space for luggage. So, soft bags and space saver is a good compromise for me.

#6 ·
550 - M Package Best Tires

Thanks for the responses. I am not opposed, actually would prefer to go away from the run flats. For those who have, do you haul a spare wheel in your trunk or call a tow truck?

#7 · (Edited)

Various places sell the spare tire donut, jack, etc. I think bimmerzone for one.

I purchased the OEM BMW spare tire kit that was designed for the F10. It is not allowed to be sold in the U.S. so I bought it online from ebay.co.uk from a BMW dealer in Europe. It comes in a case/bag so the tire/jack and tools fit nice in a compact design. Easily removed from the trunk if you need a little more cargo space. I have the BMW trunk liner which holds the spare in place without even strapping down.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...C0&_nkw=BMW+F10+spare+tire&_sacat=0&_from=R40

#10 ·
I replaced my Dunlops around 15-17k miles due to noise. I could have gone 25k or more, but the tires ruined an otherwise great car.

I think it is a hit or miss as to how long a particular set of tires will last. So many factors including tires being out of round, flat spots, road surface, temperature and driving style.

For me the main issue is noise. Once 50% of the tread is gone, any tire will be 50% noisier.

I prefer to replace tires with around 25% tread left and not run them down to being unsafe or bald.

#12 · (Edited)
550 - M Package Best Tires

I have 29k and do a lot of highway driving. I still have a couple of thousand left on the Dunlops but those miles will go fast. I have decided to get the spare OEM F10 kit and go with either summer Michelin Pilots or the summer DWs.

Thanks for all the advice!

#13 ·
Dump the run flats.

I did, now Have Bridgestone Potenza S04's- with a mobility kit in the trunk in case of a flat tire

They are so much better, road feel, response, tip in, cornering- the whole enchilada

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.