BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5d vs. M3

5K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  Capobranco 
#1 ·
Looking for opinions:

I currently have a 2011 X5d with 47k miles. I have experienced no issues with the car and it has been comfortable to travel in. I can trade it at this point at a decent value where I will not have to invest in tires and the additional maintenance plan to 100K. My choices are to keep the car for several years or trade for a different model.

I have looked at other models and keep coming back to the M3.

Longevity? X5d vs. 2011 M3? Keep X5d?

#2 ·
Two totally different cars - more not in common than in common. I would see how your driving needs line up - can you live with less space, worse gas mileage and more limited weather driving.

#3 ·
Dear Ksoze,

Thanks for the reply. I have been fortunate enough to own 2002's, 3's, 5's, and X5's. I have long commutes and primarily challenged with heavy rains at time. I would potentially drive the M3 a couple of days a week. The family travel car is a large SUV so I personally do not need the additional space the X5 offers. The X5 has been nice on the road, very stable at high speeds and great torque between 80 and 90mph. (550 miles per tank) The SAV has great technology but it almost feels as if it is becoming a point A to point B car.
I enjoy driving and I am not opposed to three pedals.Tough decision.

#22 ·
Forget about the 500 mile plus range, M3's suck gas like nobody's business - you may not get even 300 miles on a tank.

Two different cars naturally, I'd say of you have an eye for track events then the M3 will give you something back, otherwise, it's overkill as a daily driver and even more so as a two-day-a-week cruiser - you'd be better off with 335i or even a 328 with a sport package and a manual transmission.

My 2 cents....

#5 ·
Based on that additional info, I say M3 all the way. I have also owned many BMW's, several which were M cars, and this M3 is the best yet. If you have an option for times when the M3 is not as good a choice (snow, trunk, passengers, etc.) then even more reason to get one as a couple of times a week driver.

You also mentioned using three pedals. All of my previous M cars have been manual and I went with the DCT on the E93 and have not regretted the decision. I find it engaging, technologically sound and fun. Drive a DCT car before buying - I did on a whim before ordering and changed my mind and order on the spot.

#35 ·
Based on that additional info, I say M3 all the way. I have also owned many BMW's, several which were M cars, and this M3 is the best yet. If you have an option for times when the M3 is not as good a choice (snow, trunk, passengers, etc.) then even more reason to get one as a couple of times a week driver.
M E90 M3 was awesome in the snow with a set of 18" blizzacks. I think the limited slip really helped it plow along. Turning off the DTC is the snow is a blast.

#6 · (Edited)
E90 M3 seems like a good compromise. If you are even considering an M3 this should mean you aren't using your X5 any special way that requires having it. The E92 M3 is great too and has a huge trunk which is nice, but you lose two doors. The E93 M3 I think is more of a weekend or light driver. You will lose so much cargo room. Unless you have an extra car that can be used for any of those purposes it doesn't make much sense. The DCT is worth a whirl. Many settings to make it pleasurable in so many situations. The way I feel about this is that if you can afford it go for it. You could drop dead tomorrow. If its gonna break the bank then don't make any major moves until possible.

#7 ·
XCUSM5,

Thanks for the comments. I am essentially using the X5 for commuting and it is a comfortable ride and decent power, but other than that I really do not utilize the space so your comments make sense. I will most likely move forward with an E90. I drove an M3 with the DCT and it was impressive.

#8 ·
Also keep in mind that the M3 is louder on the hwy (both in terms of road AND engine noise). Also gas mileage and range will be a huge change. Sub 20mpg.

On the reliability side of things, according to Consumer reports the E9x M3 is the most reliable car BMW currently builds.

If you just want a fun drive but will do a lot of driving on the hwy there might be better choices to consider... 1M or 335is...

#10 ·
I appreciate all the comments. I am pulling the trigger on an E90. I am not thrilled with the 18's that come on the car but I am apprehensive about the 19's due to bad roads and less tire life. Does anyone have the 18's and if so are the ok? Thanks

#12 · (Edited)
I have the forged 19s and have had no issues with smallish pot holes, however I never had issues with my tires or wheels ever in 25 years ( other than wearing them out ) which includes 4 years of driving in Africa during an expat assignment...anyhow they are not run flats so they are not terribly expensive and the ride on my 19s is far from harsh. And if you are worried due to bad roads you can opt for the insurance. Get the wheels you like the best.

#13 ·
Wow op...This topic really hits home for me. Am trading my X5D in on 2011 E92 w/competition package tomorrow..

We have two SUV's in the family right now and just don't need both. I'm going back to my truest love from BMW - M3.

It will be my daily driver..

Good luck to you..

#15 ·
Coming from a guy who has both...

They are both wonderful rides. As solstice notes, the E9X M3 with its NA V8 is the end of an era, and worth getting just for that reason alone. The F30 M3 may turn out to be a capable car. But it will certainly be "different."

I went with 6MT, since I thought that could also be the end of an era. But the one time I dislike driving the E93 is crawling along in heavy traffic. So the X5D draws that duty. If the M3 will see commuting duty, I'd spring for the DCT.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

#16 ·
Coming from a guy who has both...

They are both wonderful rides. As solstice notes, the E9X M3 with its NA V8 is the end of an era, and worth getting just for that reason alone. The F30 M3 may turn out to be a capable car. But it will certainly be "different."

I went with 6MT, since I thought that could also be the end of an era. But the one time I dislike driving the E93 is crawling along in heavy traffic. So the X5D draws that duty. If the M3 will see commuting duty, I'd spring for the DCT.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp
The E46 M3 and E85/86 M guys thought their cars were the end of an era (i.e. I6) and that the V8 won't offer the same experience. I remember myself taking some time to embrace the e9x M3. Also, I can't imagine BMW ditch MT in M cars (e.g. 1M was available with MT only and the F10 M5 will be available with MT as well).

I am still skeptical, but the 1M hasn't turned out to be terrible at all, and all the early reports indicate that the F10 M5 is also very good. Time will tell, and I'll reserve my opinion until I get a long test drive and get to see it in flesh.

#19 ·
Very timely thread. I just came back from the dealer and am very close to trading in my 2011 X5 35d for either a 2011 M3 Sedan or M3 Convertible. I currently own a Tacoma and a 2011 X3. Although I own two "practical" vehicles, it should be an easy choice to choose the convertible, however, for whatever reason, I am leaning towards the sedan. I think part of it is the practicality as I have two kids plus I just can't see myself enjoying a convertible where I live where we get winter six to seven months of the year (Western Canada).

I am also considering that the sedan will no longer be produced and I also love this V8 engine.

#20 ·
Very timely thread. I just came back from the dealer and am very close to trading in my 2011 X5 35d for either a 2011 M3 Sedan or M3 Convertible. I currently own a Tacoma and a 2011 X3. Although I own two "practical" vehicles, it should be an easy choice to choose the convertible, however, for whatever reason, I am leaning towards the sedan. I think part of it is the practicality as I have two kids plus I just can't see myself enjoying a convertible where I live where we get winter six to seven months of the year (Western Canada).

I am also considering that the sedan will no longer be produced and I also love this V8 engine.
I have both - X5d and E90 M3. Both very different cars - the M3 is my DD, the X5d is the wife's. I love the M3, but it just isn't as practical as the X5d. On the other hand, if you want a huge smile and some serious looks, the E90 M3 will fit the bill. The sedan looks pretty mean with the competition pkg. and drives like a scalpel - very precise. And you can haul around 4 people very comfortably. I've had a BUNCH of people ask me if it's really an M3 - and a few people assume that it isn't... LOL. :drive:

I will say though, that this car will get you in trouble. The limits of the car are WAY out of my current skill set - it's eager to be pushed, and driven.

#21 ·
midlife crisis got to have it. Decision problem solved. :thumbup:

#28 ·
When I purchased my M3, I also contemplated adding a X5d at the same time.

I had low expectations when I first test drove the X5d - WOW - was I mistaken - torque can be fun! Moreover, I especially liked the weighted very tactile steering of the X5d.

In the end, I chose to retain my present SUV, but the X5d and my M3 would have been a very complimentary entertaining pair IMO.

#31 ·
At a steady 75-80mph with the top up and the A/C off (i.e., driving in the fall & winter), my gauge is showing around 21.5 to 22 mpg. With the top down and the A/C on, it's under 20. This revives a thread I started here a long time ago, which is wonderment at how the Boss Mustang with 444hp is rated at 26mpg on the highway (as is the GT convertible) with a non-turbo motor. It's a shame that BMW is going to have to move to turbos to raise the mpg. Of course, what Porsche does with gas mileage (relative to performance) is even more astounding, but that's a much higher price point.

#32 · (Edited)
When I purchased my M3, I anticipated horrific MPG just came as standard equipment.
I have been very pleasantly surprised by the routine 20 - 22 MPG my M3 achieves on my DC Metro 20 mile commute.
Indeed, my M3's numbers are similar to the numbers posted by my former 335i E93 6MT - a very nice unexpected gift. :)

#34 · (Edited)
I've found the only way to get 20-22 mpg is to keep it extremely mellow.. which makes for a boring drive and the car just begging to actually be driven. Anytime I get on the highway or have some spirited segment I can visibly see the needle moving. I could get 26-27 mpg with my old 335i, but driving that was was extremely boring (even though I did it often as I drove long jaunts of highway).

At a steady 75-80mph with the top up and the A/C off (i.e., driving in the fall & winter), my gauge is showing around 21.5 to 22 mpg. With the top down and the A/C on, it's under 20. This revives a thread I started here a long time ago, which is wonderment at how the Boss Mustang with 444hp is rated at 26mpg on the highway (as is the GT convertible) with a non-turbo motor. It's a shame that BMW is going to have to move to turbos to raise the mpg. Of course, what Porsche does with gas mileage (relative to performance) is even more astounding, but that's a much higher price point.
This makes me curious.. I've seen many other cars with better economy as well... and it is definitely not the reason I bought the car.. but even with very limited runs of spirited driving, hardly ever getting above 6K rpms, I'm lucky to get 250-270 on a tank. :dunno:

#33 ·
Coming from an E60 M5 (10 mpg in the city) the MPG I'm getting in my DCT E92 M3 is way better at 16.5 in the city.

Most of my runs are short runs. I'm just looking for a reason to take her out on the open road for a long drive or a trip involving driving to and from:D

No one buys an M for the fuel economy that's for sure!

#36 ·
I just traded in my X5 35d for a 2011 M3 sedan. Love the torque on both but love the torque even more on the M3. There is something about the sound (burble?) of the V8 when you start it up and then stepping on the gas as i leave the house.

This is the first tank of gas in the car and there has been plenty of idling as I struggle with the Google Maps feature. I am at 225 km and have used about half a tank of gas. There have been no issues with traction as i have a set of winter tires, however, it has been very mild with temperatures no colder than -5 degrees Celsius. I am amazed at the size/space of the trunk as I can haul my kids skis and snowboard.

#37 ·
M3 works for me too and I have winter wheels & tires too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.