BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Considering 550i vs Lexus GS 350 Fsport

7K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  Edino 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

This is another one of those comparison questions. And before you blow up at me for asking a seemingly obvious question, please consider my driving habits.

I wanted current 5-series owners of the 550 to tell me what their experience has been.

History: I had a 335i with the Dinan Stage 2 update. It was fast and fun. 389 Hp/400+torque - it was a beast considering the size of the car. But I spent a great deal of time at the BMW dealership. Namely, mechanical issues. They weren't horrible but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Present: I test drove the Lexus and the 550. Of course the two aren't even in the same category. I know that. Saving the back and forth on the all the reasons the 550 is better than the Lexus (I am not arguing that at all - The 550 is awesome) there is one that I am most concerned about: Life beyond 100k miles.

Since my wife doesn't like the fact that I change cars every 2 years, I want to choose a car that I can feel confident about putting 100k miles on it over the next 4 years. I drive 25k miles/year and I am worried about how the 550 will hold up.

Thanks for your feedback.

See less See more
#2 ·
I completely get where you're coming from. I have a 2011 550 which I bought and was planning on keeping for 5 years or so but I wish I had bought a Lexus instead. I drive about 23k miles/year and trips to the dealership for issues have become very annoying. My latest issue for the last few months is an intermittent rough idle at a stop where my car shakes like an old muscle car. Of course the dealer can't find anything wrong with it. I've leased my previous BMWs and each has been plagued with issues and BMW even bought two of them back. I would think I would've learned by now (but these cars drive so great)! My experience with BMW reliability has been poor, so I'd either lease and pay for extra mileage or steer away from the brand to something more reliable. I'll be selling mine next year and getting into something else. I'm sure there are several folks though that have driven 100k + miles without any issues and maybe I've just had bad luck....with my last 5 BMWs. Good luck to whatever you decide!

#3 ·
Thats the thing about BMW's. Its like dating a hot girl with a lot of drama. The peaks and valleys are more dramatic! When she's up, its the best driving experience out there (for the money). When she's down - you find yourself camping out at the BMW service center, sad, sharing your company with other owners who wander, wishing they were out on the open highway. At least thats how I remember feeling. And no, the people didn't look sad - but they sure looked like they rather be somewhere else.

#10 ·
OMG to funny, but so true! My car is in for service more then on the road. But it's a hot looking car! in the end looks are not everything.

#4 ·
If you are ok with the size you might want to consider snagging one of the last E92 M3s. They are very reliable. The M3 forum here is almost free from issues and there are guys who have put more than 100k on them with just the scheduled services. My 2011 E90 M3 has around 30k on it and has been problem free. However, I would guess a Lexus with 100k miles on it would have a much higher residual value since most would consider that car barely broken in while an M3 would be considered trashed independent on the actual condition of the cars.

#5 ·
If you are looking for long term reliability, BMW is probably not your best option; although they are fun to drive and nice looking, they are not the kind of car you'd want to take to 100K+ miles. My dad had a Lexus GS that he bought new and got rid of it with 252K miles without any serious or unexpected issues (driving 30K+ miles/year). The only times it was in the shop was for regular wear and tear parts that needed to be replaced. I also have a friend with a GS with over 100K no problems at all. But, you need to accept the fact that a Lexus is not a "drivers car" if that's what you decide to buy. Another bad thing about Lexus is that they plan the LCI before they even release their cars. A 2013 luxury car without LED turn signals doesn't seem right, and neither does the orange on the taillights. I got a BMW because I don't plan on keeping it more than three years.

#12 ·
im with scottf10 thoughts. to add, i dont see myself having the car past 4/5 years without extended warranty at the least.
i've owned a lex for 5 years, infinity for 5 with minimal time at dealerships; even with mods. My 550 is hot, has all the toys, and is way more fun to drive. It drives for me when im lazy(adaptive cruise control) and when i want to drive, i become master of the road.
I "FEEL" BMW among others are on the side of bleeding edge technology. As all this new tech comes out with software/hardware upgrades; it will change the game for all dealers soon. All those dealerships will be filled with cars as they iron out the funks. How many times do you upgrade your phone/computer firmware? This curve will change in time of course for the better.

Hit us back in a few years when next models of all makers have their new marketing and technology. see if you'll keep it for as long as you think you will. :dunno:

#7 ·
I've heard plenty of stories about Toyota Camrys lasting well beyond 150K, but life is short so drive what excites you.

#9 ·
My 89 535i's odometer stopped at 300,000 (but the car is still running) :D Lots of maintenance and funny (or infuriating) electrical problems, but a solid drivetrain on a solid chassis.

I think you already know the Lexus is likely to be more reliable. I haven't heard of many F10 breakdowns on these forums but there seem to be many minor issues (and warnings and error messages and malfunctions that may or may not actually be a problem but require attention). The keyfob on my 535i with about 1500 miles on it just decided to stop working for a few hours today (but hey, I got to finally use keyhole in the door!). These cars are wonderful but technologically complex and occasionally glitchy.

If you read on the forums about 550s there have been various issues with fuel injectors and other things throwing drivetrain malfunctions. If you are planning on driving high miles and selling in four years, then there is no question that the Lexus will be worth much, more more than 550i (high mileage newish lexi(uses?) still command a respectable sum).

#14 ·
I really don't know how to compare the Lexus to a 550 outside it may be cheaper. It will not be cheaper to lease a BMW is offering some murderous deals.

Seriously, if you're looking that these comparisions you should look at a Toyota Avalon which will save your more money. The 550 will ride all over the Lexus all day long.

As far as reliability, my 550 has been excellent. Questions comes down to do you want a by or Lexus. The 550 and it's technical attributes need to be reivewed in comparison to the GS. The 550 has some serous torque, which is get up and go.

BMW for leasing, and in terms of Lexus beats them hands down--BMW pays the maint. If you lease and don't care, BMW is the lower cost option (of course depending on which model). Doing a quick look at residuals and Lexus isn't beating BMWFS.

My 550 has been pretty darned good in terms of reliablity. Only time in the shop has been for snow tire chang-over.

Drive both--see what you think. Lexus's Financial does not seem nearly as competitive as BMW. Just my .02.

#15 · (Edited)
I will submit that the GS may handle a little better, might even be more reliable.

I just can't get past the looks of the thing.

I know if I bought another Lexus, it would be gone along with that wood steering wheel within 24 months.

It is not about which is better. It is about passion or submission.

#17 ·
I will submit that the GS may handle a little better
I have DHP on my 550 and it handles better than the new GS. I don't know if this is the case without DHP but with, the 550 handles better.

#16 ·
Strange, I have owned a number of BMWs and all have been very reliable. Funny though that the most reliable cars I have ever owned have been Porsche 911s. I think this may be your answer.

#18 ·
Experience can vary

Funny how people's experience can vary. My 2007 328 xi Coupe has been a great car. My early 20's children drove it and now my son drives it all the time. The only issue has been tires. It is a smooth as silk, vibration free and the 328 engine seems bullet proof. It has about 120,000 km on it. My F10 535 xi has given me problems with tires too, but otherwise runs perfectly. Interestingly my Acura TL which was supposed to be a very reliable car seemed to have had a lot go wrong with it and the interior trim did not hold up.

#21 ·
i'd get the bmw. Since you put on the miles so fast (4 years) I wouldn't expect any major hiccups.

#22 ·
Yeah, if you are only worried about "post 100k" and will hit that number in 4+ years, your risks are minimal.

I used to have a 100 miles per day commute and it sucks, so you might as well get something comfy...although the body will get thrashed from rocks/debris/misc car parts bouncing down the freeways. You almost need to consider a CPO 2012 or something that has lost some value already.

#26 ·
I have commuted 160 miles a day for the past 7 years. During that time I have been through a couple of 3's, a couple of X5's, a diesel that I should have kept, and now have a 2012 550i approaching 70,000 miles (had 15k when I bought it). The only issues so far have been a hard drive replacement and both banks of injectors (warranty items). We all know that long term maintenance will become an issue. Take care of your car and drive what you want.

#27 ·
Yes BMW will do well if properly maintained, many people buy them and forget it after 50K then they post complains on repairs and comparisons with Lexus.
Drive a boring Lexus, Acura, Infinity and feel the difference on a curve at 80mph or the handling at ultra high speed BMW are meant to be driven.
For people that always obey the speed limits get a Kia or Toyota.......or a Dodge, GM, Ford.

#29 · (Edited)
You obviously have not followed the new gen GS. It has won every comparison test for handling. I have both a 2012 550 and a 2014 GS350. They are both great cars. Obviously the 550 is a lot faster. Other than that it comes down to price and personal preference. And I do consider the GS to have the better suspension in every respect. But like I said, the are both great cars and I thoroughly enjoy both of them.

#31 · (Edited)
My final list was GS350 Fsport versus the 530i... I choose eventually the 530i. For refinement, ride and luxury experience, the BMW is in my opinion the best one of the two. On the reliability front I have to disagree with some; BMW 5 series is a very well build, durable and long lasting car. Not for nothing it is the choice for people that drive high mileage in Europe. Also in the Middle East where I live right now, BMW has the reputation of excellent reliability, comfort, status and ride quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.